Your first car.

1967 International Scout. 4 cyl., 3 speed on the floor. Gas gauge didn't work neither did the odometer. Run out of gas on more than one occation. The pipe to the gas tank was a straight shot though, I would measure the gas level with a 1/2" dowel I kept in the back. The passenger side door was wired shut or it would fall off. Amazing what would pass inspection at the right place in those days, [1978]. 4 wheel drive and 20 mpg. A big deal to me in those days.

Not my first but I had one just like that, pukey green and white.  The floorboard rusted out from too many trips surf fishing but it would go places no one else dared try.

My first was a 1955 Ford with a big bad v8 that shortly had the main bearing knocking but I drove it that way for two years of college before it left me walking.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trappercase

• Brad Eden

• Ben Hong

1967 International Scout. 4 cyl., 3 speed on the floor. Gas gauge didn't work neither did the odometer. Run out of gas on more than one occation. The pipe to the gas tank was a straight shot though, I would measure the gas level with a 1/2" dowel I kept in the back. The passenger side door was wired shut or it would fall off. Amazing what would pass inspection at the right place in those days, [1978]. 4 wheel drive and 20 mpg. A big deal to me in those days.

Not my first but I had one just like that, pukey green and white.  The floorboard rusted out from too many trips surf fishing but it would go places no one else dared try.

Funny I had a 67 scout too. 4 cylinder with 3 speed. It wasn't my first but it was pretty cool. I just sold it 4 years ago.

I literally dragged it out a of a field when I boutgh it, No way could you say that I "restored" it, but I at least got it operable

Here is was early on, it had the "sport top"

scout_rear.jpg

When I sold it

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

My first was a 1971 VW bug that didn't last long.

1959 Rambler station wagon.  Paid $99 for it.  Push button transmission and all the seats folded down to make a nice bed (one of my dates showed that feature to me).  I don't remember anything else about it.

If it was like the '63 wagon, then it also had an "infinitely" variable windshield wiper, where you dialed the knob to make the wipers go slower or faster. And yup, the seat backs in back folded forward and the seatbacks in the front folded backward, making a more or less level "playing field" from the steering column to the back of the car. I believe I refered to mine as "the romper room." bought my '63 for $200.

Wasn't my first car, though. The first one was a '62 Chevy Impala station wagon I bought from my cousin. He wanted $175 and as I test drove it I told him I'd give him $175 dollars but pointed to the empty gas gauge and said he'd have to put $5 in gas in it or he'd have to walk home. It had a 283 in it and the odometer had frozen at 210K a couple years before I bought it.

http://www.google.com/imgres?....rl=http

Later I had a '69 Ford Falcon station wagon with three on the tree, which I bought for $200. I'm almost certain that the Impala had for its dashboard bright lights indicator a cut-out light in the shape of an impala. I know the Falcon had an indicator in the shape of a falcon. My younger brother got himself a '64 Pontiac Bonneville station wagon when he was in high school and just thought his bright light indicator was cracked and jagged until I pointed out that it was supposed to be Chief Pontiac in profile. Not really sure Ottawa Indians had the big eagle feather headdresses, but that's what the indicator light had. The Bonneville station wagon was a monstrously heavy car, nearly 5,000 pounds curb weight.

Wes the Newbie

The year was 1996, the truck a 1978 Datsun "King" cab pickup truck.  It was beige, with an 8-track and all of the strap hooks going around the outside of the bed.  The previous owner had installed a rearview mirror that consisted of about 12 mirrors that spanned the entire cab.  However, I was one of two freshman who had a vehicle, thus, I was a pimp!

That truck was a great running vehicle.  Lots of fishing trips in that truck, even after mom backed it into the pond.

1951 International Harvester P/U - it had an anemic 6 and 3 on the tree.  There was some sort of design deficency in the cylinder head and if you drove it over 50mph the exhaust valve in the #1 cylinder would fail, the valve head would come off and usually severly damage the piston.  I got real good at pulling the head and replacing the valve as well as dropping the pan and replacing the piston.  I did it alongside the road at least twice.  

Had a Plywood camper on the back which housed me and my two GSP quite effectively.  Did alot of hunting from that rig.

Think my Dad traded a used refrigerator for it in 1966.  

I got tired of the snail like pace and sold it for $150 to an Air Force guy and bought a 1961 Ford falcon Sedan Delivery vehicle.  Station wagon with no windows in the back.  Rebuilt the engine and the trans, did the front end, brakes etc.  My girlfriends dad hated that car, had the back all fixed up for hunting......Birds and well BIRDS too.

WhiteDog and Flush, The first I- Scout I had for a few years, sold it and a couple years later bought another one. The second one had the open back though. Both were dark blue. Ran the second one till there was nothing left of it. I hadn't gotten into bird hunting and dogs yet at that time, but it hauled it's way into some deep deer woods and always got me out. Paid $400 for each of them.
DennisMcFeely
1980ish Olds Omega, white with burgundy cloth interior.  Chick magnet it was not...

My first car was a 68 Camaro.  I had a lot of fun with it including somehow ending up in the middle of a golf course.  I never did firgure that one out.  I totalled it a short while later.  Then I brought a VW camper back from Europe.  Having a moble bed was handy in high school.  I beat the hell out of it too and then gave it to my brother who babied it for 20 years.  Many fond memories of that van.

Dave

1976 Cutlass Supreme !

Nice wheels, white letter tires, T Tops and a cool sounding exhaust.

Man I was hot in that thing until the first rain when the TTops leaked like a rogue wave!!! Car treated me well for 2 years although I may have looked a little strange to others driving around in rain gear  :D

ramlinwillie

A 1968 Ford Torino, had a lot of fun in that thing, it was also my hunting vehicle, you'd be surprise where it would go.

This is what it looked like:

My second vehicle was an International Scout II-cant remember what year other than that it was pretty old. It was also my 4th, 6th, 8th etc. What I mean by that is i'd put out out to pasture-literally-in between other vehicles and would always go back, and unearth it from the brush and grass consuming it, charge the battery, start it up, and reregister it for whatever time needed til the next car. It had the 6 cylinder with a long unwieldy standard stick. The engine compartment was cavernous and you had no problem working on the engine. A 4x4 beast with the turning hubs and a chronically "swimmy" front end that would swing left to right on the highway with the wheel held steady. Even so, I wish I still had it-it was a cool rig.