REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
gselkhunter

NHL

WOW!  Steve Y versus Messier isn't even close!  CalgaryRook already posted the stats.  Typical Wings homer I guess.

Hey Fred, who else is better than Mess?  Federov?  Maybe Dino C?  Or how about McCarty?  Perhaps Bobby Probert?  Any present-day guys...Homer or Maltby?  Surely they all rank above Mess because they played for Detroit.  

Well at least it gives us some perspective.  Hell, I'm a life-long Nords/Avs fan and I can't rank Sakic above Messier.  

Great game tonite...is there any chance that Detroit is puckering a little at the thought of gane 7?  Maybe a glimmer of hope for the young Pens.

A slight glimmer, a fleeting chance -- but I'll take it!  This Wings team reminds me of the '78 Steelers team that was loaded everywhere with future HOF players and had great balance on O & D.  

The Pens did play with heart and soul tonight and for that, they deserved the win.  The theme song tonight was a Ray Charles and Van Morrison duet of Van's Crazy Love.  Crazy, wild game up and down the ice and Pen's fans loved it.

Think the puck hitting the pipes is now at a plus 2 for the Pens, they are still owed 2 more by the hockey gods to even it up.  Maybe the gods will smile down upon the Pgh kids, even up the balance sheet and send game 7 into OT.  

GO PENS!!!!

spice64
Messier was never a top 1% IMO - all time great yes, but not at the level of Gretz, Mario, Stevey Y....

:laugh:  :laugh: Hoooo boy!!

Let me just say that if I could compress the numbers of players of the past 50 years into this year's draft, my first pick would be MESSIER. Yes Lafleur, Robinson, Gretzky, Mario, Dionne, Bourque, etc. are all great players and in most cases they have one or two attributes that shine, but if you want a general who is mean, skilled, is acknowledged as one of THE great leaders in sports history, then Mess is my man. Noticed that I did not mention Stevie Y, whom I admire both as a good human being and a great player, but he is no Mess.

The only hockey player better than Mess is Gordy Howe. Sure I'm a homer but lets face it Mess was the second coming of Howe.Screw the # bers. Mess had an Iron will and could convey that to anyone who played with him. Howe was Iron and could convey that to anyone who played against him. Stevie May be 3 or 4. And I totaly agree Ben He aint no Mess. Anyway great game buy the Pens tonight. They look so good with an even keel. The Party starts at 4:00 p.m. on Fri. Lets hope the wings show up.  It will Make for a better game. Its a coin toss at this point. I aint said it yet and Its My last chance. ......................... LETS GO WINGS!

Trappercase
Wings looked a little flat... maybe they need three nights rest.

John
Yea that was not one of the best games in the series, I think they both looked down from where they could be playing. lots of back forth in the game.

calgaryrookie
Friday night should be great. I don't think either team is anywhere near down or done. I am tired of the Wings and hope for the Pens. I'd put $50 on the Pens to make it interesting, but if you FORCED me to bet my house, I'd probably put it on the Wings, especially playing at the Joe...  :down:

Ben Hong

To Fleury, "the Joe" is a house of horrors and no mojo or superstition will erase that feeling. My heart says Pens, my head says Wings.

Whatever the outcome, there are no two words in the sports lexicon that conjures up excitement, drama and anticipation like: Game Seven.

calgaryrookie
To Fleury, "the Joe" is a house of horrors and no mojo or superstition will erase that feeling. My heart says Pens, my head says Wings.

Whatever the outcome, there are no two words in the sports lexicon that conjures up excitement, drama and anticipation like: Game Seven.

It's like round 12 in a title fight... two combatants who have bloodied themselves over and over. To ME, beats the heck out of a over-hyped Superbowl between two well-rested teams who barely know each other.

John

You know what the NHL should consider adoptiing in the future...

for a game 7, it should go to a neutral site!

that would be interesting.

calgaryrookie

You mean interesting to watch a bunch of fans who don't really root for either team watch a game in a MAYBE full building? How would you sell tickets to a game that MIGHT happen and might not, on a date you can't set until just before it happens? You only know at the end of game 6 if there will even be a game 7. The building would be flat compared to the mahem and excitement of home-town fans watching their heroes. Plus season ticket holders would be incensed.  I just can't see it working or be very interesting to watch if you could do it.

gselkhunter

I have to give the Pens credit, solid win. But now to the "JOE".

Why change game 7 to a neutral location? Play better in the regular season, Detroit earned this! That would be the Pens handycap. I am still hoping Detroit wins and they should. I just hope it is a great game.

Ben Hong
One of the truisms in sports is that home field advantage means a lot. In hockey, it often means that there is a seventh man on the ice for the home team. Like gselk. said, the teams earned that right during the regular season...the right to play in front 20,000 fans in full voice, the right to take advantage of the idiosyncracies their boards and their own ice, the right to enjoy the last change, and the fans often influence penalty calls in favour of the home team.

John

You mean interesting to watch a bunch of fans who don't really root for either team watch a game in a MAYBE full building? How would you sell tickets to a game that MIGHT happen and might not, on a date you can't set until just before it happens? You only know at the end of game 6 if there will even be a game 7. The building would be flat compared to the mahem and excitement of home-town fans watching their heroes. Plus season ticket holders would be incensed.  I just can't see it working or be very interesting to watch if you could do it.

Not at all, by neutral site I mean that each team would be allocated 1/2 of the tickets for the none native sheet to each team.  This way the fans from each team would be equally distributed.  I can see how you would think that, since it was not explained.  Just as yea it would blagh to have to travel, but not everyone would think so, it would add to the game7.  make it even eliminate home ice, equal fan base, let the best team win.

JClyma

Does that mean that we would have to play in Cleveland?

Wings and Pitt have both won a game 7 this playoff run. I like Detroit's chances but if they win 7-0 it I will be ok with that. This time I am not rooting for a close game.

-Jeff

calgaryrookie
it would add to the game7.  make it even eliminate home ice, equal fan base, let the best team win.

Except that I'm fine with the concept that the team with the better record EARNED the right to have home ice. Taken away it's just one more incentive to put it in cruise control near the end of the season.  Why push for the President's trophy if all you get is the stupid trophy? Heck, baseball adjusted the world series (albiet in a really REALLY dumb way) to make home field advantage something to be played for.