REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
gselkhunter

NHL

Trappercase

If you missed the CBC feed this was priceless.  Right out of Slapshot.

Ben Hong
Taberrrnacle, it's verrryy funnee-la! Me, I h'almost pissed myself when I hear dat la!

Steelheadfred
I just looked at the first goal multiple times.  It was clearly onside!

Onsides Yes - Icing Yes - he was onsides, but the dump in was icing.

Opened the paper this morning to see Nick Lidstrom waiting, and waiting, and waiting for Sindy to get his chit together and take part in the greatest tradition in sports.

Get your ass to the Handshake line!

Trappercase

Happens all the time.  Actually half the Red Wings missed the handshake a couple of years back.

Sour Grapes?

DennyB
Congratulations to the Penquins for a hard fought series.  Too bad their Captain is such a sore winner.  Showed lots of class (NOT) when it came to the traditional handshake.  One of these days Sindy may grow up and be the best player in the league his daddy (Bettman) wants him to be.  But then theres Ovechkin, the REAL best player in the league, isn't there. But hes' a (gasp) RUSSIAN and Bettman can't have that.  It will be interesting to see what transpires next year in regards to the roster make up of both teams.  With Malkins surge as argueably the best player on the Pens, (sorry Sindy) will they be able to afford him.  Will they keep Flurey and if so how much will he cost.  At the web site thepensforum.com, they were ready to kill him after game 5.  Detroit has many questions also.  Stuart and Kronwell were on the ice for 3 of the last 4 goals for the Pens.  Something has to change there.  Kronwell makes to many mistakes in the defensive zone and many of his hits are questionable in regards to leaving his feet at the time of impact.  His penchant for taking foolish penaltys while on the powerplay hurts.  Stuarts play leaves a bit to be desired.  Hossa was a none factor most of the year and the entire playoffs.  Will the Wings resign him?  I for one hope not.  There are too many good players waiting in the minors to keep him.  Lidstrom is 40 and a bit slower. Along with Rafalski at 37, those two are at the end of their careers.  They both will return but Detroit needs to address their shortcoming in regards to its defense.  I beleive that, given the Wings record over the past 20 or so years and the players they have coming up they will return to the playoffs next year regardless of any roster changes.  Can the same be said of the Pens who came close to NOT making this years playoffs?  Time will tell.  And a parting shot to Sindy, Grow UP!  Can you tell I cannot stand him?

Ben Hong

And a parting shot to Sindy, Grow UP!  Can you tell I cannot stand him?

Can't stand him? Well, that is certainly your perogative! Grow up? Yeah sure, he is well on his way - you see, he won the Cup as CAPTAIN of his team, a team that is not nearly as mature, talented and as experienced as the Wings. How much more do, or can, you expect from a 21 year old??

The delayed handshake with an opposing player would be my priority, BUT only after my team mates, coaches and bosses finished mobbing me.

What's with all this disparagement of his name?

Trappercase
I actually felt sorry for him when he missed the handshake.  The look on his face, you could tell it was inadvertent and I just knew he'd hear it from the sore losers.

Steelheadfred

And a parting shot to Sindy, Grow UP!  Can you tell I cannot stand him?

Can't stand him? Well, that is certainly your perogative! Grow up? Yeah sure, he is well on his way - you see, he won the Cup as CAPTAIN of his team, a team that is not nearly as mature, talented and as experienced as the Wings. How much more do, or can, you expect from a 21 year old??

The delayed handshake with an opposing player would be my priority, BUT only after my team mates, coaches and bosses finished mobbing me.

What's with all this disparagement of his name?

Ben,

I would argue that the Pens were the more talented team, and I think they proved it in this Hockey Tournament.

Hard to argue that the best team did not win the cup this year.

The wings are very talented yes, but the Penns are more talented and just proved it. I believe the wings were out coached also.

As far as this Handshake business, I played my first Hockey Game at age 5, like many of you, like Sindy did too. At the end of that game I stood at Center Ice, and smacked the kids gloves of the other team, I did this every game for the next 16 seasons just as Sindy did.

It become automatic, to leave the greatest Defenseman since Orr standing and waiting is disrespectful not only to the Wings, but to every coach that Sindy played for growing up. At that point in time the integrity of the game is first and foremost, Lidstrom did not leave Sindy standing last year.

Get your ass into the Handshake Line, or at least another player on the team should stand up and be the leader, and drag his ass to the Handshake line.

His behavior as a leader of the team has placed him more inline with Lindross then Gretz, Mario, Steve Y....

The NHL needs Sindy to be the face of the game, a North American, a Canadian, with all the talent in the world, a good looking kid, well educated, well spoken. He needs to be the face of the game. Problem is, he is sorely lacking in some areas of respect for the game. I hope he learns from his mistakes, the game needs him.

Steelheadfred

Happens all the time.  Actually half the Red Wings missed the handshake a couple of years back.

Sour Grapes?

No Sour Grapes - tell me when the wings missed the handshake line?

Hell they stood and shook the hands of Colorado in 96, thats respect for the game.

Read my posts through out this thread, I never felt the wings were going to win. Penns to hungry, young, and talented. The wings were hurt, tired, and not as hungry.

Fritz

Trappercase
2003 in a LOSING cause against the Ducks in an early round and Chelios again in 2007 (on purpose).

John
I just looked at the first goal multiple times.  It was clearly onside!

onsides?  nothing to do with it.  The puck was dumped in from the behind the red (center) line, which makes it ICING.

I do not belive the pens are the more talented team of the two, they did however win.  the wings beat themselves, had they played their game the whole game, they could have won.  It will be interesting to what happens from this point with the top teams, hockey is never over. :D

Wow, here we go again from the MI crowd.  Not only are the Wings the better team, they have more class because they didn't make the Pens wait to shake hands last year.  What a bunch of BULL$H!T !!!

Freakin Wings fans...can't find ANY fault with their own team so they jump all over the Pens for winning a Cup that "rightfully" belongs in the Joe with the morally and athletically superior team.  Give me a break whiners.

Sid played hard and was called a cheap-shot.  Then he was held up by his management and media interviews and is called classless for not being quick enough to the handshake line.  Then the refs made some bad calls against the Wings.  What a joke.  Typical Wings fans suddenly have amnesia and can't recall just one year ago as the Wings celebrated just as long and made the Pens wait for a handshake...not to mention the truth as cited by Trappercase about the Wings forgetting to shake hands several times in recent memory.

I'm glad the city of Detroit and the state of MI didn't get a championship.  Wings fans don't deserve it.  Wings fans deserve to sign Hossa for another few years.

Wow, here we go again from the MI crowd.  Not only are the Wings the better team, they have more class because they didn't make the Pens wait to shake hands last year.  What a bunch of BULL$H!T !!!

Freakin Wings fans...can't find ANY fault with their own team so they jump all over the Pens for winning a Cup that "rightfully" belongs in the Joe with the morally and athletically superior team.  Give me a break whiners.

Sid played hard and was called a cheap-shot.  Then he was held up by his management and media interviews and is called classless for not being quick enough to the handshake line.  Then the refs made some bad calls against the Wings.  What a joke.  Typical Wings fans suddenly have amnesia and can't recall just one year ago as the Wings celebrated just as long and made the Pens wait for a handshake...not to mention the truth as cited by Trappercase about the Wings forgetting to shake hands several times in recent memory.

I'm glad the city of Detroit and the state of MI didn't get a championship.  Wings fans don't deserve it.  Wings fans deserve to sign Hossa for another few years.

OK Black Lab, as a die-hard Pens fan and yet still trying to maintain some composure after reading the nonsense from some, I mean SOME, of the Wings fans, I applaud your note.  Also, applaud Ben's response as well.  Appreciate and admire the class that some of the Wings fans in the UJ have displayed too.  Hope I maintained some level of decorum in this "open" forum.  Am afraid that I am about to lose it.

Wings fans, here it is.  Your team was outplayed and out hustled by a hungrier and determined, albeit less talented, Pens team.  BTW your Wings were not the "good guys"/gentlemen you all ceaselessly insisted they were during this series.  They took cheap shots when the could, they were yipping and yapping when behind.  Guess what?  They were acting just like a hockey team.  On the the other hand, the Pens are not goons, nor are they any cheaper, nor do they yip and yap more.  And guess what else?  They are substantially younger.  The 3 starting centers are 21, 22 & 20.  The goalie is 24.  Get used to seeing them because this is a team the NHL is going to latch onto whenever they can.  And unless you are a narrow-minded homer, the fact is, Sidney Crosby is going to be featured many times because the bigger fact is, he is a true Captain for his team and the face of the league.  Friendly suggestion:  Go PRINE-al -- turn off your TV, throw away your papers, move to the country because unless you do, you will hate the NHL's biggest star more and more.

So go ahead and call Crosby "sindy" because it clearly says one of 2 things about the writer:  1 - you are not smart enough to spell the name properly or 2 - you are not classy enough not disparage the opponent in public forum where there are many fans of different teams.  In the confines of your Wings chat room, go right on.  But openly trying to piss off your alleged like-minded fellow UJers is just really, really beneath you.

For those who kept writing that the Pens were inferior to Chicago and Washington, we shall see when it unfolds next year.  I certainly think it's healthy for the NHL to have some great teams and there are many more than just those.  Boston, Anaheim, San Jose, Carolina, NJ, Philly -- there is some real parity showing in these days of salary cap.  This is not just a Wings/Pens show coming up again.

As for the Joe and it's fans, my brother traveled to see the Pens play in the 1st round v Philly and last in your barn.  Interesting comment he made to me after game 5 in MoTown when I asked how the Wings fans were v the Flyers fans  -- he said not much difference.  Both sets of fans were as they rude to the visiting Pens fans as they thought they could get away with.  He was pretty surprised by that in Detroit.

So please Wings fans who are snarking, barking and looking under every rock & stone for even the smallest of slights by the latest Stanley Cup finals winners -- there is always next year.  As for the Pens and their fans, this will be a very nice summer.  Very nice.   I mean really, in the last 5 months our city's teams have hoisted the Stanley Cup and a Super Bowl trophy.  Pittsburgh.  City of Champions.

GO PITTSBURGH!

Longrifle
So go ahead and call Crosby "sindy"

I actualy think that's funny. I love vitriolic hatred of opposing sports teams, especially when expressed in an online format between rivals. It makes it even sweeter when the opposing side with the girly moniker takes the prize. I was actually waiting for a Pitt fan to throw up some variations of some of the Wings players who have names that are clearly targets.

Rugerdog
Go Leafs.