REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
gselkhunter

NHL

Good article from Jim Kelley of SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009....ex.html

Check out the SI article about the Cup Finals as well, it's in the latest edition of the mag but can be seen on-line at the CNNSI website.

Awards show on VS last night was pretty cool -- thought the acceptance form the defeneseman form the Bruins was extremely well done.

Ben Hong
I am not a big fan of the NHL Awards galas, I skipped the whole program but I tuned in to see my all-time hero Jean Beliveau receive the Lifetime Award. Any time an event or organization wants to inject some "CLASS" into the procedings, they trot out Big Jean. He didn't disappoint as the aura that surrounds him lit up the room.

Steve Hunts

Jeff88,

Good article, thanks.  Pretty much hit the nail on the head to my thinking.

Noticed the Habs picked up Hal Gill from the Pens and Scott Gomez -- two good players.  Gill is a strong presence in the defense.

Hossa went to Chi -- should be a good match for both parties.  He'll really help the Blackhawks win the west.

Should be an interesting July to see who gets richer, who gets poorer.

Ben Hong
Noticed the Habs picked up Hal Gill from the Pens and Scott Gomez -- two good players.  Gill is a strong presence in the defense.

Hossa went to Chi -- should be a good match for both parties.  He'll really help the Blackhawks win the west.

Should be an interesting July to see who gets richer, who gets poorer.

I wanted him in Montreal, Hossa will be good in Chi., but that's not the source of my pique. They should blackball any GM that doles out 10-12 year contracts...and take Chas. Wang and Garth Snow (guys who started it) of the NYI out at daybreak tomorrow and puck them to death.

Ben, am not sure about the details of these really long contracts but typically, they are for all intents and purposes, about half the length of the term for the players for effectiveness.  Sometimes they are highly performance weighted during last half.

Would have been glad to see Hossa back in the 'burgh.  He's a great player and a good teammate.  One could tell that his former teammates had no desire to rub it in to him, especially during the handshake.  He was well-liked in the Pens locker room; Sid put a full court press on him last summer to stay.  Believe Hossa was badly bitten by the karma bug -- he knew he played the wrong hand when the Pens tied the series.

There is a lot of talk in this thread about Chi being a rising star team -- now that Hossa is there, I fully agree.  Before that, I'd say they were on the cusp, much as I would have described the Pens heading into the Cup run.  Now I think they are for real.  Look out NHL west.

gar-dog

Also keep an eye on the Pens 5th round pic - Alex Velischek.  I think he will turn into a helluva player.  I don't know why he went so late - ranked 63rd I believe going in.

G

John

That is why they should not worry about a post game hand shake line, they should do it on the first game of the series and be done with it, maybe even add a post series banquet where both teams would be present.

at any rate that is last seasons news...were already into this season!

Rugerdog

Ben "Hossa be damned" Hong wanted Hossa to be a Hab?? What am I seeing here?

You too Jeff? Wow...Read back a few pages, am I crazy, or misreading??

I thought you two would rather he play in Poland, or Mexico.

Ben Hong

:D  :D  :D

Lon, if the Devil had as much talent as Hossa does, I would want him wearing the Hab uni, but all is moot for the next 12 years!!!!!!

Ben "Hossa be damned" Hong wanted Hossa to be a Hab?? What am I seeing here?

You too Jeff? Wow...Read back a few pages, am I crazy, or misreading??

I thought you two would rather he play in Poland, or Mexico.

Lon, no, you are not mis-reading.  Did I write I didn't like Hossa?  Thought I wrote that he got instant karma, or that he picked the wrong team, but can't recall that I wrote I didn't like him.  If I did write that I hated him or something, maybe it was in the heat of the battle.  But I don't recall writing anywhere that I disliked, hated or bad-mouthed any of the team members of the Pens opponents in the thread.  I actually like the guy, think I wrote the Pens liked him too and though they could have rubbed it in his face, they chose not to.  Talbot, who's a wisecracker, said he really wanted too but mostly because they were friends and he likes to needle guys.  

Can see why any team would want him on the ice.  Also think his no show in the finals had a lot to do with the heightened attention he drew from the Pens Dee.  There was a lot written about shutting down Crosby and Malkin, but Hossa was never mentioned much in how he was unable to skate near the front of the Pens goal.  He could carry the puck all around the boards & behind the net but rarely sniffed any good angles.  Ben's Habs picked up one of the reasons that occurred, Hal Gill.

However, if Hossa did get transferred to the Cuernavaca Canucks (Vancouver's Mexican club), I'd be happy for them.

Rugerdog

Pretty funny Jeff...I didn't write that you said didn't like him. I also didn't write that you said you hated him.

In fact, you quoted what I wrote, I'm surprised that you thought I said you said something different.

Pretty funny Jeff...I didn't write that you said didn't like him. I also didn't write that you said you hated him.

In fact, you quoted what I wrote, I'm surprised that you thought I said you said something different.

Lon, my bad, chalk that up to one of my many senior moments.

Check this out, my brother and a fervent Wings fan friend from work are planning to go to take in a Wings/Hawks game in Chi this year just so they can take this sign with them:

Hossa = (picture of Stanley Cup in a red circle with a strike-thru)

They will each be wearing Pens and Wings shirts and hats.  That sign and 3 beers should make them happy.  BTW, the Wings fan is the president of the company my brother works for.  The Monday after game 7 was uh, "interesting" for him among a company full of Detroit supporters.

Rugerdog
NICE!!!!

Longrifle
:D  :D  :D

Lon, if the Devil had as much talent as Hossa does, I would want him wearing the Hab uni, but all is moot for the next 12 years!!!!!!

The devil does play hockey, he wore number 81 this year for the Pens.