REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
gselkhunter

NHL

gselkhunter
After playing/watching hockey for 48 years I have learned that a 2-0 lead is dangerous. Look at NYR and Pitt,slam, does a team cave or regroup. Pitt regrouped, it was a hard win but set the stage for games to come. I hope NYR can do the same tonight.

Ben Hong
"Playoff hockey isn't real hockey, it's hockey's older brother who just got out of prison."

Perfectly sums it up! Regardless where I lived in Canada - villages, small towns, big cities, even local playoff hockey is WAR. Those who like it like it a lot!

Alas my Habs are done. We got to get rid of some of the Euros and get some tough rural Canadian kids in the lineup, boys who bring a little passion. (Can't believe I just said that, but after watching my Habs wimp out...).

"Playoff hockey isn't real hockey, it's hockey's older brother who just got out of prison."

Perfectly sums it up! Regardless where I lived in Canada - villages, small towns, big cities, even local playoff hockey is WAR. Those who like it like it a lot!

Alas my Habs are done. We got to get rid of some of the Euros and get some tough rural Canadian kids in the lineup, boys who bring a little passion. (Can't believe I just said that, but after watching my Habs wimp out...).

Think a good team requires a little of both -- that Euro skill/speed and that Canadian tough/grit.  I know that I'm reducing things to a stereotype since there have been many a swede and a russion player who would gladly knock their oponents teeth back into their throats along side many a Canadian who could slip by you like a whisper putting a puck into a 6" slot 25 yds away.  But by and large...the style stereotypes are true.

B du B

Ben -- learned 15 years ago never to rely on Alex Kovalev for anything -- he'll only let you down!

calgaryrookie

Just got to get the right type of Euros. Detroit's seem pretty good.

I do think that in general Canadian players bring more backbone, grit, and calculated mayhem to the game. They have been immersed in it for much of their playing lives. I do wonder if that will change though, given how minor hockey is being sanitized, with a higher emphasis being placed on fun, sportsmanship, etc. I don't object to that move, but it does seem to take the "crucible" element out of player development. I knew a number of kids in middle school with partial dentures due to pucks, sticks, fights. No more.

Steve Hunts

Online games?  Check or search these-

justin.tv

puckyou

zomse.com

nuckstvplus

http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/barneysportsnetwork

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/nhl-icehockey/

If a stream is bad you look around for another.  Some are really smooth and almost HD in quality other are pretty bad.  I've been able to get 3 games a night no problem.  You will need broadband connection speed.  Have fun. If you're in usa forget about cbc, it won't go unless streamed by a second party.

Heckuva game last night with Anaheim/SJ!!!

kbk

Thanks for the online streaming links.  Can't wait to see some of the action you guys are talking about.

Kevin

gselkhunter

Things are warming up! Rangers squeak by Caps again. What a shot by Ovechkin, but what stops by the "King"! When Ovechkin says it's not done, he is right. The Rangers have the hardest game in hockey to win #4. The Hawks should shut up and play, the Flames are awake.

Tonight should be fun! Can Philly pull it's head out? Can CBJ fight off Det for a win? Will the Canes piss off Marty again?

Are the Sharks ready to eat Duck?

Sorry Ben.

Can Philly pull it's head out?

Man, I hope not.  The Phlyers and their fans do not deserve to see Sid in Philly again.  (I love how well he plays there, it's an extra incentive for him to shine when confronted by hostility levels off the meter.)

Go Pens!

Ben Hong

I switched over to the Washinton game after the offside goal against the Habs, I mean what's the point of watching a season die in front of your eyes. Too bad there is no video reviews for offsides as Kessler(?) was clearly so as he c ame out of the penalty box. I watched some of the Chicago game which showed me that their young kids are for real.

Go Pens!!

Some great hockey in the last week.

Ben, I'd argue that the Habs have the WRONG KIND of grit or toughness, not that they don't have it.  Komisarek is the shining example.  After game 1 when he was constantly tangling with Lucic, he seemed to be consumed by his attempts to knock Lucic's head clean off his shoulders.  He was so focused on that one guy that he kinda missed the bigger picture (paying as much attention to Ryder, Kessel, Savard, et al).  Komisarek is a big, tough, nasty boy...but he doesn't have the mental toughness of Pronger, Chelios, or Redden.  Those guys are smart enough to see the bigger picture and not get distracted by a personal one-on-one battle.

Well, that and having Kovalev as one of your leaders never helps.

Canucks look pretty tough to beat right now with Luongo playing like he is.

John

Wow the wings in 3, Im no particular jackets fan, but it blows to see a team not even take a game in a play off series.  Mason had a good game lastnight and in the end it seemed to fire up the jackets, but alais the penelty was clearly enough and all the wings needed to take that game.

I think not having to play for a little bit could help the wings out inthe next series....they are playing better each game.

John
oh yes and I forgot to mention...its very suprising to me that the HABs fell apart in the playoffs...its as if they play a good regular season, but never can find that extra for the playoffs.

spice64
The layoff wont be to long it can only help the wings.

calgaryrookie
All the other teams can get things wrapped up and cool their heels for a while. This Flames/Hawks series is going to go a while yet. 4 games in, tied, and the team scoring the first goal has LOST every game. No walk-overs or throwing in the towel here. More hits than shots. It's a war. I recommend you catch it if you can.