NHL

Officiating,good or bad, is part of any game, sometimes refs make mistakes, same as players. I don't believe that there was a mistake made in the "tying" goal(?) as from where he stood, he lost sight of the puck. Tough for Detroit, but part of the game. The Ducks have learned from past history that to beat the high powered Wings, they have to play smash-mouth hockey and hit anything in Red &White. They executed perfectly.

As I said before, I would go to war with the Niedermayers, Prongers and Getzlafs...small town Canadian boys playing the hockey that they grew up with.

Ben,

Am I biased...yes, but the officiating in this series has been miserable so far.  And yes it was a mistake, the ref got caught our of position and blew a whistle way to early.  Osgood's been getting mauled on the other end.  It's not a conspiracy and it wasn't intentional...but it was most certainly a very huge and very significant mistake.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• John

• calgaryrookie

gselkhunter
There was no way the ref could have seen the puck from that angle. He made the right call. The ref at center ice would have been the one to over turn the call and he didn't. This is the fastest game in the world and it is easy to make calls from at home in slow motion replay. It is a whole different world on the ice at that speed. I think the refs over look stuff or make bad calls too, but this wasn't one of them. If there was a mistake here it was the center ice ref not over turning the call but who knows what he was watching.  he may not even have seen it happen. The ref that blew the whistle was protecting the goalie and that is the way it should be.
calgaryrookie
Ovetchkin's a neanderthal.

NHL stardom.  So easy, a caveman can do it!

Love his flash and showmanship. I bet the league marketing people do too. Of course I'd hate it if I were an opposing player.

Tom Avent

Don't bust on our star Ovechkin. The Washington area has had to put up with some very crappy sports teams for quite a while. Since that little Napoleon bought the Redskins and ruined them and the city had the lack of brains to pick an owner for the baseball team that is a penny pinching as#%ole (all you had to do is ask anyone in the area that had any buisiness dealings with them to know what they really were), we have had nothing to cheer for.

I grew up in southwest Virginia and know pretty much nothing about hockey, but the Caps with Ovechkin sure are fun to watch. I admit the "hot stick" prank was very stupid and I think he realized it after doing it, but how can you not be infected by his fire and passion.

As far as the "old school" puck heads getting their panties in a wad about his celebrations and attitude, turn off the game. It is entertainment after all and nobody is forcing you to watch him.

BTW, Sidney Crosby is almost as fun to watch. If he only had the fire and passion that Ovechkin had he would be unstoppable and the cup would be in Pittsburg for a long time.

Two overtime games which were hockey played on the highest level. It just doesn't get better than this!

Boston is going down :cool: .

Two overtime games which were hockey played on the highest level. It just doesn't get better than this!

Hey Ben do Ya dress like grapes to.

calgaryrookie

Hey Ben do Ya dress like grapes to.

No one dresses like Grapes, except on Halloween. Man, his tailor must have a blast making those suits. Just when I think they couldn't get any crazier he wears one that looks like he ate 10 boxes of M&M's and then threw up on himself!

The man is outspoken, SO not politically correct, a neaderthal, a patriot, and possibly the most popular person in Canada. Definitely a piece of work.  :D

doncherry.jpg

Steve Hunts
Great to see the Penguins get a win last night!  They finally started to figure out how to play Wash.

BTW, Sidney Crosby is almost as fun to watch. If he only had the fire and passion that Ovechkin had he would be unstoppable and the cup would be in Pittsburg for a long time.

Tom, welcome to hockey.  Good to have another fan around despite the fact that I hope the Pens can pull off a comback against your team.  Have you been to a Caps game yet?  Nothing like it live.

Have to take exception to your comment above -- believe me, Crosby is pasionate about the game.  No, he doesn't dance around after scoring nor does he seem to get too upset or excited, but just watch how he takes the puck to the net or carries himself -- that guy is amped!

Me?  I can barely talk today -- that OT last night took just about all the energy I have.  Caps scoring in the 1st 2 minutes and the last 2 minutes was about enough to do me in.  Varmalov played his gut out and kept your guys in the game.  

GO PENS!!!!

Tom Avent

Jeff,

I have not been to a playoff game since the mid 90's. A buddy of mine had a ticket for game 7 against the Rangers but his wife ended up wanting to go. In my limited experience, women love the hockey.

BTW, if the Caps didn't have Varly, they would be down 3 zip. They are playing like crap (or the Pens just have their number). They got lucky to win the first 2 games. This kid Varlarmov may be the biggest star on the team when it is old said and done.

Btw #2, Malkin is a beast.

Uh oh...Vancouver chit the bed in last night's game. Two minutes left in the game, one mistake and a tie game which the Hawks won in OT. What a heartbreaker.

Detroit finally grew a couple of big ones and played to their own high standards.

Tom,

The Caps/Pens playing 2 straight nights -- this is going to make for a tough game for both teams tomorrow.  Varlamov is a manster in the pipes, he's also extremely quick and mobile for a big goalie.  BTW, I'll be in Pgh tomorrow night visiting for Mother's day, my brother and I will be at Primanti's in Harmarville watching the game in DC.  Need to pack a 'guins shirt or hat.  

GO PENS!!!

calgaryrookie

The Hamilton Coyotes.... hmmm naw

The Hamilton Jets.... maybe....

The Winnipeg Jets... YES!... but not gonna happen....

Tom Avent

Jeff,

I can't believe the NHL allowed that to happen. I am enjoying this series so much that I hope it goes to 7 games. However; it would show the NHL what a mistake they made if the Caps win tonight in a very long game (one or more overtimes) and then wrap up the series in DC tomorrow because the Pens would be so tired and had to travel. I think ANY & ALL teams that made it this far into The Stanley Cup deserve better.

The Hamilton Coyotes.... hmmm naw

The Hamilton Jets.... maybe....

The Winnipeg Jets... YES!... but not gonna happen....

Hamilton Steelers or RIMshots or RaspBERRIES (to Bettman). That little Emperor Bettman has shot himself in the foot with this one, but I think he has enough "off hours photos" on enough owners to win again. That Barstard.