NHL

IMHO, this year's second round playoffs have been the best in years - a vintage year. Regardless of whom you cheer for, no one can be disappointed in any of the series. People, this is a man's game...no player can be accused of eating quiche.
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• John

• calgaryrookie

Ben,

I'm glad you said that about the second round this year. I was beginning to kick myself in the head for not getting into hockey earlier in life.

How the hell are these teams going to make it though 2 more series. Winning the Stanley Cup really is one of sports great achievements and definately the most underrated.

How the hell are these teams going to make it though 2 more series. Winning the Stanley Cup really is one of sports great achievements and definately the most underrated.

Tom, your opinion is shared by all the sports pundits in the world, the Stanley Cup IS the toughest trophy to win.

Just a little anecdote:

After the Edmonton Oilers were defeated by the NY Islanders in the 1983 Cup, their 4th in a row, the young, talented and exhuberant Oilers thought that they gave it all they had, but were beaten by a luckier and better team. Then they walked past the Islanders' dressing room, and instead of seeing people jumping around and enjoying themselves, they saw a team that looked like they had lost. Half of the Islanders had what "normal" people would call a serious injury, most of them lost about 15 pounds in the playoffs, there were bandages and casts all over the place. It was at this moment that the brash young Oilers had a group epiphany, the Stanley Cup must be paid for in blood and pain. They went on and won 5 of the next 7 Cups.

My Coyotes didn't make it so I don't really care.....but I see a good chance of Detroit vs. Boston.

Tom, your opinion is shared by all the sports pundits in the world, the Stanley Cup IS the toughest trophy to win.

Just a little anecdote:

After the Edmonton Oilers were defeated by the NY Islanders in the 1983 Cup, their 4th in a row, the young, talented and exhuberant Oilers thought that they gave it all they had, but were beaten by a luckier and better team. Then they walked past the Islanders' dressing room, and instead of seeing people jumping around and enjoying themselves, they saw a team that looked like they had lost. Half of the Islanders had what "normal" people would call a serious injury, most of them lost about 15 pounds in the playoffs, there were bandages and casts all over the place. It was at this moment that the brash young Oilers had a group epiphany, the Stanley Cup must be paid for in blood and pain. They went on and won 5 of the next 7 Cups.

Ben, keep the anecdotes coming, that was really interesting.

Yes Ben, tell us neophytes more!

What an amazing game 6 in the Caps/Pens series!  I am dying for game 7 to begin tonight.  After watching the Bruins dismantle the 'Canes last night, they definitely look like the best and most complete team I have seen in the playoffs.  I think the 'Canes lost their opportunity to pull off the upset by coming out flat and never being able to recover.

3 out of 4 series going to game 7. How common is that? BTW, who cares about March madness...this is May madness and much more entertaining IMHO.
calgaryrookie
My Coyotes didn't make it so I don't really care.....but I see a good chance of Detroit vs. Boston.

Tell ten of your friends to buy season tickets this fall and you might yet see exciting PHOENIX Coyote playoff hockey rather than watch someone else's team, especially not the Kitchner Coyotes.

6-2 Pens. Can you say "smothered"? The Pens learned from their disappointment in last year's playoffs and clearly showed that they wanted it more than Washington.

WOW to the PEns and Head Coach Dan Byslam (BGSU FALCON!) for kicking the crap out of the caps...I must say, I did not see this coming, I thought the caps had them for sure.

So Former BGSU FALCON George McPhee will be looking to shore up some weak points and get after it again next season!

6 to 2. I guess hindsight is 20/20 but you sort of had to see it coming. The Pens had oushot the Caps by such a huge margin the whole series, it was just a matter of time that the young goalie would have an off night. It is really unfortunate that it had to be that game and setting.

In the long run, it is probably good that the Caps lost in that fashion. I think that would be a lesson learned and not forgotten on how to play and win in the Stanley Cup playoffs. The Caps are just a defenseman or 2 away from great things.

Not to be a fair weather fan, but now I will cheer for the Pens for the rest of the cup. I have a new respect for Crosby and I never believed in rivalries with one exception...being a Washington Redskin fan, I have always hated and always will hate the Dallas Cowboys.

Tom, glad to see you're hanging in there with the cup finals even though your team played their last.  BTW, I am also a die-hard Cowboys hater from way back to when they had the nerve to christen themselves "Americas Team".  Such gall.

This is in article you may enjoy, it's a column from a Pgh writer about the last game in the series:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09134/970128-150.stm

Basically, who'd a thunk last night's game would go the way it did?  Believe the Pens finally found a chink in Varmalov's armor in OT of game 6 with Skuderi's blast from the right side making it all the way to the pipe.  Even though it didn't go in, it seemed to me that shooting on V from the right side and high to his glove hand was a problem for him.  Last night, goals 2, 3 & 4 were all blasts high from the right side to his glove side.  Crosby's 1st goal was just std issue Sid stick-handling near the goal mouth.  It really helped the Pens that Fleury made 2 critical stops on Ovechkin in the 1st 3-4 minutes.

Right before the game started, my brother and I spoke about how nervous we were going into game 7.  His prediction was the exact opposite of what happened, he thought the Pens were goiong to lose 5-1.  My prediction was a 3-3 tie at the end of regulation and goal in OT off someone besides the shooter.  And why not?  That occurred 3 times before in what has to go down as one of the best series in many years in the NHL.

I am happy that after tonight, the last of the "grind it out" style teams may be eliminated.

Ben has spoken on the Ducks v. Wings a few times on this thread, after Ducks wins where they "did what they had to do". I very much agree with Ben, the Ducks and others have won games by playing within themselves, forechecking, trapping, whatever it takes to overcome their meager rosters.

That said, eff that crap. I am sick to my stomach that the Ducks have a very real chance of winning tonight, and that I will have to endure their mega-boring style of hockey for another round. The Wings are clearly the better team, have outshot and outchanced the Ducks every game, and may still be on the losing end. I don't need their style of hockey to continue. Goaltenders winning games is fun from time to time, but not as an overall strategy.

Give me the 80's Oilers...The 90's Pens...The great Wings and Avalanche teams of recent years. The Ducks/Devils/Hurricanes of the NHL can crash into a building, and go away. Give me high flying teams with solid defense, that finish their checks, and get good enough goaltending.

The Bruins/Hawks/Pens/Wings are all such teams, and I am really hoping the two remaining from that list prevail tonight. I really like that Hawks team...High flying youthful energy, playing with seeming ignorance to their stage. I may even root for them over the Wings, but will paint my house red and black should they face the Ducks.

GO WINGS!!

Someone on the Caps team (Semin?) really dissed Crosby just before the playoffs started, saying that he had no flair or drama in his play! Hmmm :D Ovechkin is no doubt spectacular, but Sid just does things a wee bit better when it matters most. He sees the game and the ice in a Gretzky-ish way, and that's a compliment!

Great series!