NHL

Just a little known fact about hockey.

The first testicular guard "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874, and the first helmet was used in 1974.

It took 100 years for hockey players to realize that the brain is also important.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• John

• calgaryrookie

Are you saying that the cup originated in hockey, or that it was first applied to hockey in 1874?

Either way, that seems late! Were balls new back then?

calgaryrookie
Just a little known fact about hockey.

The first testicular guard "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874, and the first helmet was used in 1974.

It took 100 years for hockey players to realize that the brain is also important.

Priorities....

calgaryrookie

I am happy that after tonight, the last of the "grind it out" style teams may be eliminated.

Ben has spoken on the Ducks v. Wings a few times on this thread, after Ducks wins where they "did what they had to do". I very much agree with Ben, the Ducks and others have won games by playing within themselves, forechecking, trapping, whatever it takes to overcome their meager rosters.

That said, eff that crap. I am sick to my stomach that the Ducks have a very real chance of winning tonight, and that I will have to endure their mega-boring style of hockey for another round. The Wings are clearly the better team, have outshot and outchanced the Ducks every game, and may still be on the losing end. I don't need their style of hockey to continue. Goaltenders winning games is fun from time to time, but not as an overall strategy.

Give me the 80's Oilers...The 90's Pens...The great Wings and Avalanche teams of recent years. The Ducks/Devils/Hurricanes of the NHL can crash into a building, and go away. Give me high flying teams with solid defense, that finish their checks, and get good enough goaltending.

The Bruins/Hawks/Pens/Wings are all such teams, and I am really hoping the two remaining from that list prevail tonight. I really like that Hawks team...High flying youthful energy, playing with seeming ignorance to their stage. I may even root for them over the Wings, but will paint my house red and black should they face the Ducks.

GO WINGS!!

I think the Wings are a superior team, but I wouldn't dis the Ducks that much. They are just a year out of being cup champions themselves, and don't exactly play a Jersey/Minnesota "bore me to death" style. They have some very talented players, especially on defence, and Getzlaf may be THE next power forward posterboy. They just play very tough. Ducks/Bruins would be absolute smash-mouth hockey. Sometimes that is pretty satisfying too.

I am happy that after tonight, the last of the "grind it out" style teams may be eliminated.

Ben has spoken on the Ducks v. Wings a few times on this thread, after Ducks wins where they "did what they had to do". I very much agree with Ben, the Ducks and others have won games by playing within themselves, forechecking, trapping, whatever it takes to overcome their meager rosters.

That said, eff that crap. I am sick to my stomach that the Ducks have a very real chance of winning tonight, and that I will have to endure their mega-boring style of hockey for another round. The Wings are clearly the better team, have outshot and outchanced the Ducks every game, and may still be on the losing end. I don't need their style of hockey to continue. Goaltenders winning games is fun from time to time, but not as an overall strategy.

Give me the 80's Oilers...The 90's Pens...The great Wings and Avalanche teams of recent years. The Ducks/Devils/Hurricanes of the NHL can crash into a building, and go away. Give me high flying teams with solid defense, that finish their checks, and get good enough goaltending.

The Bruins/Hawks/Pens/Wings are all such teams, and I am really hoping the two remaining from that list prevail tonight. I really like that Hawks team...High flying youthful energy, playing with seeming ignorance to their stage. I may even root for them over the Wings, but will paint my house red and black should they face the Ducks.

GO WINGS!!

Lon, loved this post.  The Pens/Caps played the type of series you described above.  It was pretty exciting start to (almost) finish.

OK, for now, you are now officially welcome back to Pgh, am pulling my 2 year old banishment decree leavened when you were once dissing the 'burgh in this Public Forum.  You may now go forth to Primanti's.  If I'm there, it's on me.

Yes, Jeff...The Pens/Caps was right in my wheelhouse. Loved it, last night was a bit of a drag.

Thanks for the un-banishment! I LOVE Primanti's!

calrook...Yes, I am dissing the Ducks, but I will never diss Getzlaf. The Ducks are doing what they can, with class even, but I hate it. Right or wrong, I just plain hate it out loud.

Once again, I love Getzlaf. We are lucky to be living in a time with him; Syd; Ovie; Datsyuk; Z; Malkin...And my oh my that kid Kane from Chicago!

Ben is right, this has been a great year, and it may get much better (for me) after tonight!

Tonight will again be another great night of hockey, last night did blow Washington just got handled.  I dont think that will be the case tonight.

Ben,

Alex Semin did dis Crosby, something about his skating ability I think. Famous last words. If Semin and Green had shown up for the Caps they would still be playing.

I never would have said this a month ago, but I think you may be right about Crosby. He and Ovechkin are such differant players though. I'm not sure you can say one is better than the other.  It is going to be a ton of fun watching them for the next few years.

Hockey is cool. I'm a convert now.

BTW, I played rugby between the ages of 18 to 35 so I'm not a total lost cause who only watches the big 3 (football, baseball, basketball).

calgaryrookie

Feels like we are perhaps entering a golden age of great young players, especially forwards. Look at all the superstars and emerging superstars less than 22 years old. Looking forward to some interesting Olympic team choices.

Who do you think looks good for 2010?

Who do you think looks good for 2010?

Canada used to be my favourite going into any international tournament, but these past couple of years have seen these tournaments get extremely competitive.  Canada and the Russians are neck and neck as far as talent goes, and very very slightly behind is the rest of the pack - USA, Sweden, Finland and the Czechs. In a short tournament, anything can happen. But it will be a showcase of hockey talent as we have never seen before. :cool:

I am drained from watching the two games tonight. No one could have asked for better hockey. I think that the next round will be a bit anticlimactic.

Going back to my predictions at the beginning of the second round, my only mistake was to pick the Ducks over Detroit. The Ducks did it to me again as the results of their 2 series constituted my only missed calls. Other than that, of the 12 series predicted for the two rounds, I got 10 right.

My picks for the next series:

Detroit vs Chicago...Detroit in 6, the kids in Chicago will learn a valuable lesson by playing the Wings, who are playing like the champions they are. The young Hawks' future is very bright indeed.

Carolina vs Pitts. Staal vs Staal, Ward vs Fleury, Old Brindamour vs young Crosby, etc. This is the toughest one to call so I am not making a prediction. Sentimentally, I would like for the Pens to go all the way, but Carolina is on fire right now, and as a group they are a b!tch to play against.

Well Ben Ya got Me the last round, I,ve never seen so many game 7,s in My life. I cant get no work done. Best year of hockey I can ever remember. Any way I'll take the wings in 5 over the hawks. This is the best team in hockey with tons of depth. the only reason the hawks will win a game is the bowman connection.  As for Pitt vs. carolina I gotta go with the pens. The N.H.L. loves cindy and they probly want to see her back in the finals.  But like I said the cups allready been played and the wings won it.

I have been debating saying this all morning, guess it's best to just throw it out there...I think last night was the only game in the series whern the Ducks outplayed the Wings. Turn about being fair play though, the Wings stole the game. Osgood was great in the first, shaky down the stretch. Big rebounds, fighting the puck. He has to play well for the Wings to beat the Hawks.

Prediction? Well, as I said, before the playoffs I predicted a Hawks/Pens series. Against better judgement, I will stick with that. Hawks speed and ignorance gives them opportunity...Still, it's obvious the Wings are the better team. The Hossa factor alone could take them over the top.

Dream final in the West (for me), supremely bummed about the Bs not making it in the East.

Well I figured the Caps were going to the show this year.  I was wrong they are missing a few things and Pitt MAtured some in that series.

PItt over carolina in 5

Detroit over the Hawks in 7.