NHL

The Hockey Gods have smiled on the Habs ..again. THEY"RE IN! One of the key injured defensemen is not as badly hurt as thought.
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• John

• calgaryrookie

I'm a diehard Wings fan since forever, but I am worried a little this year again.  I think that they should have let Osgood go after last season, despite his outstanding playoff run.  Historically, he has a good season in Detroit, and then blows it the next year.  I can't remember when he has had 2 consecutive strong years.  

I want to see Sir Stanley again in Detroit, but I am not sure they will do it.  The talent pool seems to be a little closer this year.

gselkhunter
Ye of little faith Ben. Ok so it wasn't a win but it should have been. When I left to pick my boy up at the airport the Rangers had just killed off a penalty deep into the third priod and the Habs had come back to take charge at 4-3. I figured both games were a done deal. Oh to my surprise. But it isn't done yet, they can still flip. 1 game left the Rangers get Philly again and it is time someone handed Crosby his Butt! Better give the boys a good talking to Ben.
but I'm not as confident in the defense this year.

Yes, they're only very very good now. That Kronwell (sp?) is their third best, and would be THE best D-man on 20 other teams. I do think Liddy has given up the mantle of best defenceman however, unlikely to ever get it back. Good run though. Hall of Fame spot waiting for him upon retirement.

I wouldn't bet on the Wings, but I wouldn't bet against them.

One thing for sure, the wings will be better in the playoff's than in the regular season.  That seems to be their MO year over year.

Not really. since 2000 they have 8 division championships, 4 President's trophies, and 2 cups. I'd say they slightly underachieve in the playoffs. Still a great team, but they can be had in a series.

...just seems that way to me.  I always think the Wings will find a way.  Have to say I don't pay enough attention to the west until the cup series starts.  Not since the Gretzky Edmonton years anyway.

Goaltending will be the downfall of the wings.

-Jeff

Ozzie's a sleeper.  He'll step-up if the defense stays consistent.

Goaltending will be the downfall of the wings.

-Jeff

Ozzie's a sleeper.  He'll step-up if the defense stays consistent.

Like i said before, I love the Wings, but I am not sure about ozzie.  Gives up just a few too many per game.  You are though when you call him a sleeper.  Problem is, he only wakes up for a season at a time, and then back to la la land for about 4-5.  They should have dumped him after last year, and tried to pick up someone more consistent.

Steve Hunts
Watched Chicago over Detroit today.  BH's looked pretty good!

OK, Larders and Genmuns, here are my fearless and baseless predictions for the first round.

EAST CONFERENCE:

Bos. vs. Mtl. If Price can play to his potential, Mtl. in 6. If  not, Bos. in 5. Mtl is missing their mvp and leading scorer.

Caps. vs. Rangers. Caps win in 5, but if Ranger's goalie vastly outplays Theodore of the Caps,  it's still Caps in 7. Too much Caps firepower.

Devils vs.'Canes. Depends on Brodeur. If he plays like a mere mortal, 'Canes win it in 6, otherwise it's Devils in 7.

Pens vs. Flyers. Pens in 5. Pens are on FIRE and Fleury is zoned in.

WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Sharks vs Ducks. Sharks in 4... Good try Duckies

Wings vs Columbus. I will give Columbus one game for effort (and maybe because of Osgood) But I can't see Detroit losing more than one game here.

Canucks vs Blues. Probably will be the best series of the first round, but again the difference maker is Luongo, so Canucks in 7.

Hawks vs. Flames. I love the young Hawks and their coach Quenneville. The Flames are hampered by the salary cap and will  have an undermanned bench and their goalie is on life support due to exhaustion. Hawks in 5.

Looking 2 months ahead, I would not be disappointed at all if the Penguins met the Blackhawks for the CUP. Whoo-hoo, what a series that would be for pure skill and intensity by a very skilled and talented new generation of stars.

calgaryrookie
Hawks vs. Flames. I love the young Hawks and their coach Quenneville. The Flames are hampered by the salary cap and will  have an undermanned bench and their goalie is on life support due to exhaustion. Hawks in 5.

Think it all depends on how fast the Flames get their injured back. They are pretty tight-lipped, but I've read that a bunch will be back for the start of the series or soon after. IF they get 'em all back fast I like the Flames experience and physicality. Hawks may need to go through one bad playoff as a learning experience.

Not sure what cap has to do with anything now. Doesn't count in playoffs. Also doubt Kipper is exhausted. He will have had 6 days off to relax. This series probably is the hard3est to call though. Not sure what the Flames are bringing.

OK, Larders and Genmuns, here are my fearless and baseless predictions for the first round.

EAST CONFERENCE:

Bos. vs. Mtl. If Price can play to his potential, Mtl. in 6. If  not, Bos. in 5. Mtl is missing their mvp and leading scorer.

Caps. vs. Rangers. Caps win in 5, but if Ranger's goalie vastly outplays Theodore of the Caps,  it's still Caps in 7. Too much Caps firepower.

Devils vs.'Canes. Depends on Brodeur. If he plays like a mere mortal, 'Canes win it in 6, otherwise it's Devils in 7.

Pens vs. Flyers. Pens in 5. Pens are on FIRE and Fleury is zoned in.

WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Sharks vs Ducks. Sharks in 4... Good try Duckies

Wings vs Columbus. I will give Columbus one game for effort (and maybe because of Osgood) But I can't see Detroit losing more than one game here.

Canucks vs Blues. Probably will be the best series of the first round, but again the difference maker is Luongo, so Canucks in 7.

Looking 2 months ahead, I would not be disappointed at all if the Penguins met the Blackhawks for the CUP. Whoo-hoo, what a series that would be for pure skill and intensity by a very skilled and talented new generation of stars.

Ben, based on your prediction and druthers, I think I'm developing my 1st "mancrush".  Please don't anyone tell Hunshatt, he'll be all jealous about this.  That's all I'd need...

Go PENS!

(Man, am I getting psyched and the 1st puck hasn't even dropped yet.)

gselkhunter

The Presidents Trophy is like the kiss of death. A lot of the top teams have been on a roller coaster the last 20 games. The two hard chargers have been the Pens and the Canes. The Flyers won't miss any chances to pound the Pens into the ground and don't seem to worry about time in the box. Pens may win the series but at what cost?

I can't see NJ beating the Canes.

If Boston gets fired up watch out.

You know what the Caps will bring, you just never know what the Rangers will do.

Gut check time for the Hawks and Wings.

The Canucks should be able to handle the Blues.

The Ducks have the players to give the Sharks what for.

No mater what else the games will be fun to watch.