REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
NateVT

Bird Hunters Image

NateVT
Sort of a follow up on Smithhammer's post.  Where do you all suppose upland bird hunters got this image (problem) from?  Why are bird hunters supposedly these gents out for a stroll in the woods with some classis shotgun?  None - and I mean none - of the bird hunters I've ever met portray this type of image.  Any ideas what gives here?

I blame the Europeans, but more so the N. American wannabe-Europeans. And by default, companies like Orvis for catering to the latter crowd. I mean, who actually wears this #&^$:

64L6M7HH.jpg

:D  You may as well paint a target on your ass if you're going to dress that way around where I live.

Before I get myself in trouble - just kidding Orvis.

Sort of.

rprovines

Why are bird hunters supposedly these gents out for a stroll in the woods with some classis shotgun?

Now see, you got it wrong right off the bat. Bird hunters are guys that are out walking the corn stubble, CRP, or prairie. So if you've got a different image in your mind, where did you get it from?

NW-Gsp
I blame the Europeans, but more so the N. American wannabe-Europeans. And by default, Orvis for catering to the latter crowd. I mean, who actually wears this #&^$:

64L6M7HH.jpg

:D  You may as well paint a target on your ass if you're going to dress that way around where I live.

Before I get myself in trouble - just kidding Orvis.

Sort of.

ya if you went out in the woods wearing that crap here it would prob be a remake of Deliverance. seriously alot of meth labs out here

Stuck in KS
Orvis sucks.

grousehunter 61
Gee and I was going to buy me a pair of those, love the little tassel...

frak

You may as well paint a target on your ass if you're going to dress that way around where I live.

I'll admit you (I mean "I") would be a world-class dork in those knicks, but it's a shame, really.  If you remember from your baseball days, there's a lot to be said for them.  In the field, the mud would be on your boots & socks and not your pants.  I'd wear those things in a heartbeat if I wouldn't look so ridiculous, even to myself.

One time in Germany, I almost got a pair just for hiking, but my wife saved me from myself by saying go ahead & get them, but forget about hiking with her.

woodcock

AND, if you apeared at a southern quail plantation without being properly dressed you'd be asked to leave---assuming you had an invitation in the first place.

Dress, and customs in general, vary from region to region.  Surely you can understand that and I would hope appreciate it.  

Don't you think things would be intolerably tedious if there were no individual differences? Or would you prefer that we all hunt the same bird with the same gun over the same dog in the same place, wearing the same garb, etc.,etc.,etc. ad nauseam

AND, if you apeared at a southern quail plantation without being properly dressed you'd be asked to leave---assuming you had an invitation in the first place.

Dress, and customs in general, vary from region to region.  Surely you can understand that and I would hope appreciate it.  

Don't you think things would be intolerably tedious if there were no individual differences? Or would you prefer that we all hunt the same bird with the same gun over the same dog in the same place, wearing the same garb, etc.,etc.,etc. ad nauseam

On the contrary - local diversity is a wonderful thing. But that doesn't mean some of it isn't funny. And I'm sorry, but sometimes there undoubtedly is just a certain amount of pretension involved, and I have no problems with taking the stuffing out of that. If I need to put on some "proper" outfit just to be "considered" for an invite to go hunting on some stuffy plantation, you can have it - I'd much rather be walking the hills after chukar with my "uncivilized" dog and a broken-in pair of Carhartts.

But to each his own, and if you want to laugh at my way of doing things - you're more than welcome to. I don't take any of this seriously enough to be offended, and if I did, please laugh at me. Somehow I think that's probably not the case for Mr. Knickers and Tweed Vest.

rprovines
Yeah, like them uppity southerners fishing for their 'brim'. WTF?

Greg Hartman

Well, the next time I had out west to hunt, I'll try real hard to remember to leave my normal British hunting outfit with all of the little tassles and such home.  I’m gonna wear a ten gallon hat, a vest with a star, a couple of six-guns, a neckerchief and a pair of enormous chaps.  FINALLY, I’ll fit right in with Smithhammer and the other the locals - no one would ever guess that I’m from out of town.

Ole-Cowhand34-54826.jpg

NateVT
What the heck is "brim"?

Rex Hoppie

Do you know what makes me sick.  Do you know what makes me so angry I want to tighten my lovat knickers down until my legs fall off below my knees. It's redneck country hicks wearing their carharts and thinking they are so effing cool their poop is icecream.

Where is my Orvis catalog, I need to order some flashes.

Is Icecream one word or two?

Haha....a pair of these would compliment your breeks quite nicely:

43cgl6hh.jpg

Rex Hoppie
Do yoou  have a link to those?