REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
NateVT

Bird Hunters Image

garyRI
"Europeans" is too general. Blaim it on the Brits - I mean blame them for everything.

jmooney

Pansies.  I'm dressing like a real man next time I hit the woods:

Kilt_HuntingStewart_LRG.jpg

Well, the next time I had out west to hunt, I'll try real hard to remember to leave my normal British hunting outfit with all of the little tassles and such home.  I’m gonna wear a ten gallon hat, a vest with a star, a couple of six-guns, a neckerchief and a pair of enormous chaps.  FINALLY, I’ll fit right in with Smithhammer and the other the locals - no one would ever guess that I’m from out of town.

Whoa, pardner. Ummm....that might be slightly less incriminating than tassels, but just barely...

Brad Eden
Bird hunters maintain that image so they can feel superior to deer hunters.

Ben Hong

I'd much rather be walking the hills after chukar with my "uncivilized" dog and a broken-in pair of Carhartts.

Image shwimage, I was killing partridge in jeans and a bb gun long before I knew that birdhunting was a sport and much longer before I read GBE. Waypoints were...16 ga. single shot and sneakers, half trained dog, army surplus and a road crew orange safety vest for clothing, 12 ga. auto, better trained dog, 20ga. o/u, Carrharts, hunting vest proper boots, superb dog.

Twenty years later I am still predisposed to Carrharts and army surplus, but I have to have good dogs.

rprovines
Bird hunters maintain that image so they can feel superior to deer hunters.

If you can stand up under your power, spell 'D-E-E-R' correctly, and wear clean underwear (even briefs) every day, you can feel superior to any whitetail hunter. Mule deer hunters deserve some respect, don't categorize like that.

And turkey hunters, 1 step above slug, but 2 below the whitetail hunters.

jmooney
Where is my Orvis catalog, I need to order some flashes.

What the hell are 'flashes'?

The tassels at the top of the socks:

64L6M7HH.jpg

012707_FlashSteps.jpg

And they do what, exactly?

I mean, other than looking "fabulous."

Rex Hoppie
Flashes are what hold your knickers down and your socks up and add a dash of color for flair.  Carharts don't have them, they have double knees.

Crayborn

(Smithhammer @ Apr. 09 2009,12:37)

64L6M7HH.jpg

I have the honor to dove hunt a few times a year with two old British Gents that dress like that each time. The men also have the after shoot snack of fine port and quail eggs, and patte'.  I asked one of them last year why the Brits dress that way.  His response? To so that we are not commoners.  He said he still dresses that way now as a way to remind him of home.

Chuck

Briarscratch

I've always been partial to this look -

Hillbilly-Hare.JPG

Just curious, is beat-up and worn out Filson gear considered hoity-toity?

DGilmore
Most all of the bird hunters I know are gentlemen (along with a few ladies).  Breeks are rarely worn - too many briars in the fields and we have walking hunts, not European "stand and deliver" hunts.  The image here in the South of the bird hunter isn't someone in breeks and a Barbour waxed jacket, but of faced khakis, perhaps a shirt with epaulettes, a vest and an orange hat. Used to be only the younger guides wore ball caps. The reasoning was, and I sort of agree with it, a man over the age  of 30 should wear a real hat, not a ball cap. But that, along with a lot of other things, has changed (not necessarily an improvement either).

jmooney
And they do what, exactly?

I mean, other than looking "fabulous."

I think Fabulous is reason enough.

I have the honor to dove hunt a few times a year with two old British Gents that dress like that each time. The men also have the after shoot snack of fine port and quail eggs, and patte'.  I asked one of them last year why the Brits dress that way.  His response? To so that we are not commoners.  He said he still dresses that way now as a way to remind him of home.

Chuck

I think that if you actually are an old British gent, and that's the real tradition and culture you grew up in, then I think it's totally cool. (though I would still take exception to the, "we dress this way so we don't look like commoners" snobbery).

It's the people who are trying to be something they're not that I think are silly.

Rex Hoppie

Just curious, is beat-up and worn out Filson gear considered hoity-toity?

Only if it is truly Filson, and no black buttons.