REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
NateVT

Bird Hunters Image

Breakfast Boy
Farva.jpg

Sort of a follow up on Smithhammer's post.  Where do you all suppose upland bird hunters got this image (problem) from?  Why are bird hunters supposedly these gents out for a stroll in the woods with some classis shotgun?  None - and I mean none - of the bird hunters I've ever met portray this type of image.  Any ideas what gives here?

Its what happens when grown men fall in love with a bygone ideal that probably never existed, or one to which they would likely have never had access - and try to live it out in between the days they sit at their desks.

:)

Kind of like putting on a conductor's cap when you go down to the basement to play with your model train set. Choo choo!

rprovines

Aw fer cryin.....

perhaps a shirt with epaulettes,

What the hell is an 'epaulette'? Paulette, sounds feminine.

Briarscratch
Just curious, is beat-up and worn out Filson gear considered hoity-toity?

Only if it is truly Filson, and no black buttons.

How did you know I put Filson labels on my McAlister pants?  And the black buttons, well I'd just like to put that whole episode behind me thank you very much.   Besides, I've embarrassed myself many more times since then.

Mike Connally

What the heck is "brim"?

"Brim" is southern for bream.  Sunfish.

I believe it's French for "ghey shoulder strappy thing."

rprovines
Oh, them things. The guys in the foreign legion movies have them on their uniforms. Yeah, gotcha now,
"ghey shoulder strappy thing."
, those, definitely.

rprovines
Hey, I recall in a movie one the ghuys had his ghloves under his epaulette. How cool would that be?

Btw, this is also an "epaulette," but I wouldn't recommend wearing them on your shoulders while pursuing Bobs on the plantation:

0_61_fin_walk_shark_na.jpg

rprovines
Wow, I hadn't been to an Orvus site in years, probably not since I was trying to find a long billed hat for fishing. That was a lie by the way. But I just went over there and they ghot a lot of ghear. Found this ghuy's shirt, with them epaulettes, only $69. I figure it's a $30 shirt, tops, but the epaulettes are worth $19.50 apiece.

Flashes are what hold your knickers down and your socks up and add a dash of color for flair.

There really should be more knicker flashing these days. Too bad it's fallen out of favor.

frak

The image here in the South of the bird hunter isn't someone in breeks and a Barbour waxed jacket, but of faced khakis, perhaps a shirt with epaulettes, a vest and an orange hat. Used to be only the younger guides wore ball caps. The reasoning was, and I sort of agree with it, a man over the age  of 30 should wear a real hat, not a ball cap. But that, along with a lot of other things, has changed (not necessarily an improvement either).

I'd say that fits my observations as well.  Lot of guys wear non-ball caps, even still, though, of course, ball caps are everywhere, too.

BTW, back in the old days when I played soccer for my college, we wore flashes for the same reason: hold our socks up.  Of course, those were the olden times.  We used shrunken heads for balls.

frak

Also, what the heck is going on?  

rprovines has about a half-dozen posts on this and nary a *&$(#*.  Is it Lent or something?

Matt Crawford

I believe it's French for "ghey shoulder strappy thing."

We can say "gay" on this Web site.

I say it all the time...watch:

"Briarscratch."