REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
NateVT

Bird Hunters Image

Rex Hoppie

perhaps a shirt with epaulettes,

What the hell is an 'epaulette'? Paulette, sounds feminine.

ROTC uniforms have epaulets.  Advanced ROTC students would earn (sounds like) For-shares and wear them on their shoulders secured by the epaulets.  For-Shares were braided fabric loops large enough to fit around your armpit and signified acomplishments by their color and other trappings.  I don't recall any compulsory ROTC students (freshmen and sophmores) wearing for-shares but we had epaulets.

ROTC story: I was accused of being a rugged individulist.  I attended a land grant college and so was required to enroll in ROTC.  We were lined up for inspection in the armory one afternoon when the the advanced student officer came marching thru our rank with his 40 inch stick held throat high horizontally to ensure the cadets were 40 inches apart.  He stopped in front of me doing a double take and said, Hoppie, are you some sort of rugged individulist?  What do you mean Sir?  You have your belt on backward Hoppie.  Would you like me to turn it around now Sir?  Yes.  I pulled my belt out or the loops and put in the military way while he observed.

I saw a description of a camo cotton hunting shirt in Cabela's.  Part of the description was that the shirt had functional epaulets, which told me they were real epaulets.  I purchased the shirt.  After a year of so I couldn't figure out any function and cut them off.  The shirt works with or without the epaulets.

Rex Hoppie

Just curious, is beat-up and worn out Filson gear considered hoity-toity?

Only if it is truly Filson, and no black buttons.

How did you know I put Filson labels on my McAlister pants?  And the black buttons, well I'd just like to put that whole episode behind me thank you very much.   Besides, I've embarrassed myself many more times since then.

I am sorry to open old wounds, but know I am behind you and want you to look the part of an upland gunner.  Whomever sewed black buttons on your orange shirt knew nothing of upland.

An admission:  I once purchased a blue brown plaid wool shirt.  It had black square buttons.  They were square with rounded corners.  I couldn't abide square buttons and picked up enough round tan buttons at the fabric shop and replaced the square black buttons with proper tan buttons.  I feel your pain.

WIPartridge
we just discovered brush pants a couple years ago...man those things were the cats @ss when we first started wearing them instead of jeans!

brueggemanns
I'd much rather be walking the hills after chukar with my "uncivilized" dog and a broken-in pair of Carhartts.

Image shwimage, I was killing partridge in jeans and a bb gun long before I knew that birdhunting was a sport and much longer before I read GBE. Waypoints were...16 ga. single shot and sneakers, half trained dog, army surplus and a road crew orange safety vest for clothing, 12 ga. auto, better trained dog, 20ga. o/u, Carrharts, hunting vest proper boots, superb dog.

Twenty years later I am still predisposed to Carrharts and army surplus, but I have to have good dogs.

...and wear Barbour too, dontcha?

I'm the pot calling the kettle black:  I wear Le Chameaus and am proud of it.

Rogue Hunter

I have to confess, I wear the Minnesota version of European snob fashion...I tuck my Sears, Big Ben khaki work pants in under my red top, wools socks that come up over the top of my 14in Maine hunting shoes...sort of knickers like?

I doubt I'd be invited back to a second driven hunt as the pants get washed only once or twice during the season...mud, blood, etc.

Ah, but, I do so annabe!

Rex Hoppie

we just discovered brush pants a couple years ago...man those things were the cats @ss when we first started wearing them instead of jeans!

An aha moment for sure.  I remember years ago when I passed by that moment myself.  All the perfectly good Levi's I ruined in one day.  All the times I settled down into a tub of hot bath water with my shins and thighs searing.

I also remember when a friend and hunting buddy admitted his epithany after buying a pair of brush pants.  Something to the effect, I had no idea.

Ben Hong
...and wear Barbour too, dontcha?

I'm the pot calling the kettle black:  I wear Le Chameaus and am proud of it.

Deb, the Barbour coat is usually my "Sunday go to meetin'" attire, but when I am invaded by a whole bunch of Americans whom I have to lead out in the rain (gasp) to hunt, I will don that coat...just to make an impression, dontcha know?

Rex Hoppie
Don't you have any rain gear?

rprovines
ROTC story: I was accused of being a rugged individulist.  I attended a land grant college and so was required to enroll in ROTC.  We were lined up for inspection in the armory one afternoon when the the advanced student officer came marching thru our rank with his 40 inch stick held throat high horizontally to ensure the cadets were 40 inches apart.  He stopped in front of me doing a double take and said, Hoppie, are you some sort of rugged individulist?  What do you mean Sir?  You have your belt on backward Hoppie.  Would you like me to turn it around now Sir?  Yes.  I pulled my belt out or the loops and put in the military way while he observed.

I've read this twice, I think I missed a punchline or something.

Rex Hoppie

Ron, It is what it is and that is all that it is.  It all happened in the Hoosier too.

You see, there I was at attention, exactly 40 inches behind the guy in front of me.  The Major noticed while passing by that the tag end of my canvas belt stuck out of the brass buckle to the right instead of to the left.  The Major felt compelled to stop and ask me to conform with all the other cadets on the floor by turning my belt around so the tag end stuck out to the left.  No rugged individulists in ROTC.

Bob Frankenfield

I doubt I'd be invited back to a second driven hunt as the pants get washed only once or twice during the season...mud, blood, etc.

A driven hunt in MN...what's that...shooting from the four-wheeler? :D

rprovines
Ron, It is what it is and that is all that it is.  It all happened in the Hoosier too.

Where'd you go to school?

And I'd really like a punch line.

Rex Hoppie
Ron,  I attended the Purdue Hammond campus at night for 4 years and at West Lafayette main campus for 4 years.  I crammed a 4 year degree course into 8 years and grad-gee-ated in the upper 95% of my class due to partial credit and dogged determination.

rprovines

Attaboy Rex, and you lived a hoppie life in spite of it. Or because of it.

Whichever.

Rex Hoppie
Thank you Ron, always remember, for each graduating in the top 5% or their class there are 19 graduating in the other 95%.  Similarily, for the 19 graduating in the upper 95% or their class there is one poor bastard graduating in the lower 5%.