• Briarscratch

Briarscratch

Too many to list!

But here's a current favorite -

"I got 350 heads on a 305 engine

I get ten miles to the gallon

I ain't got no good intentions."

Zip City by Mike Cooley of the Drive-by Truckers

"He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it."
Trappercase
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."   Albus Dumbledore.
DennisMcFeely

"I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex."

-Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

DennisMcFeely

"I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex."

-Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.  I remember saying something like “I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive….” And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas.  And a voice was screaming: “Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?”

- HST

Matt Crawford

"Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liver slices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine."

— James Joyce

A bunch of hemingway quotes I like, but one favorite is from a movie:

"Dead things go downstream, Mother.  Life is upstream!"

From The Moskito Coast

Good one - but wouldn't that be Paul Theroux?

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry."

Mark Twain

bosco mctavitch
Probably right, he wrote the book I believe.  I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot that was based on a real live (gasp) BOOK!

If you can keep your head,

When all about you are losing theirs

And blaming it on you, ...

Kipling.

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.  I remember saying something like “I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive….” And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas.  And a voice was screaming: “Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?”

- HST

Harry S Truman??

Just kidding Hunter had some great lines!!