Favorite Literary Sentences

"Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liver slices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine."

— James Joyce

:)  Good thing it's almost lunch time!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• graytrout

• Briarscratch

"Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liver slices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine."

— James Joyce

:)  Good thing it's almost lunch time!

Chinese gourmet lunch :devil: .

fl quail guy

I think the best sentence ever written in any book can be found in the Bible.

Jesus wept.

Succinct, poignant and perfect.

"Her eyes were slate-gray, and she had almost no expression when she looked at me. She came over near me and smiled with her mouth and she had little sharp predatory teeth, as white as fresh orange pith and as shiny as porcelain. They glistened between her thin too taut lips..."

- Raymond Chandler

nickwilliams

But here there is no light,

Save what from heaven is with the breezes blown

Through verdurous glooms and winding mossy ways.  Keats

"O ye frogs and fevers, ye coots and constellations, the fisher-girl was the loveliest of lovely sights! On the sunbaked boulder, on green moss she lay, the quicksilver trout by her side, a pale, paltry thing gleaming at her side. As she ran a slender finger through the moss, over the stone, along the wretched fish, only Heaven and myself knew the pain that I was in."

- DJD

Possibly the most important discovery we have made about ourselves is that Man is a Wild Animal. He cannot be tamed and remain Man; his genius is bound up in the very qualities which make him wild.

Robert Heinlein

Possibly the most important discovery we have made about ourselves is that Man is a Wild Animal. He cannot be tamed and remain Man; his genius is bound up in the very qualities which make him wild.

Robert Heinlein

Many could stand to mull that over a bit these days.

"It was a dark and stormy night..."

Snoopy and Anonymous