Windmills

Windmills just listened to Obama’s speech he said we need more alternative energy what do you guys think about windmill farms. They are putting up a huge windmill farm about 40 miles from me and I recently drove by and took some pictures. These things are huge and ugly. I would not want to live near these things.

dsc0043k.jpg

dsc0044k.jpg

dsc0042w.jpg:(

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuck in KS

• bosco mctavitch

• Rex Hoppie

pa'tridge hunters
After six months you wouldn't notice them. Also if someone was paying me to have it on my property or I was getting free power from them I would like it just fine.
Since you said they're "huge and ugly," I guess this is an aesthetics discussion. Personally, I don't find them "ugly." I think they actually look kind of cool. And if it's going to be located within view of where I live, I'd rather look at a field of windmills than a coal plant. All power needs to come from somewhere, and the NIMBY mentality is pretty silly and self-centered, imo.

There is starting to be some interesting literature regarding health issues in those living near these large turbines.  These turbines have been designed to optimize output rather than reduce sound production.  Their placement near residences in rural areas is particularly problematic due to the low ambient noise levels in these areas and a combination of factors leading to increased noise at night.  

I'll get one in my back yard when Ted Kennedy gets one in his.

VT

bosco mctavitch

This is a wind farm in Northeastern NY...I honestly think the power lines are more of a nuisance than the wind turbines.  What about a silo?  Tall buildings?  Bridges?  Concrete of any kind?  They all pollute the view...you just get to pick your poison.

windmillswebsize.jpg

I think energy independance that doesn't poison the air and water is beautiful.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I see a dairy farm, you just smell cowshit.  How else are you going to make energy without slitting your own throat in the process?  I happen to think wind should be A PART of our way forward.  As a matter of fact I'm looking into putting a smaller wind turbine in my back yard, among other things...with the goal of being off the grid (fully or as much as possible) within 10 or 15 years.  I know that any large-scale power generation is not perfect, I suspect that there's a lot of de-centralized energy in our future...but I have no problem with the windfarms I've been around.

VT, i saw some of that literature, and you are quite right.  Its easy to dismiss it when you are not the one with constant droning at 2am.  There appears to be a gung-ho approach when constructing these farms, without regard to topography or environmental factors.  However, i think this is typical of most new technology, especially when there is a policy mandate forcing production before all QC has been performed.  In essence, its tough to go by the book when you are writing it.  

That said, i think that many of these factors may be easy to mitigate, and are relatively benign when compared to the alternative.  No, wind is certainly not a panacea to our energy crisis.  But it is a viable faction.  With better planning and manufacturing, I think that a comprimise is acceptable.  

Like Bosco, I think you have to pick your poison.

There is starting to be some interesting literature regarding health issues in those living near these large turbines.  These turbines have been designed to optimize output rather than reduce sound production.  Their placement near residences in rural areas is particularly problematic due to the low ambient noise levels in these areas and a combination of factors leading to increased noise at night.  

I'll get one in my back yard when Ted Kennedy gets one in his.

VT

Close relative lives right next to a huge one--reportedly the tallest in a several state range.

They didn't have any discussion with neighbors beforehand.  Luckily the location from their house doesn't create the maddening light/dark/light/dark/light/dark constant pattern all day long that some report, but the noise from the thing is significant and very noticeable at times.  Hard to open windows at night if it bothers you.  

They are OK with it but there is some impact on neighbors, not to mention wildlife if in the wrong place.

...  What about a silo?  .......

Why are so many silos unused and derelict?

I kid you not we are going to be hearing about how they disturb the environment by slowing down wind speeds  :laugh:

I on the other hand think they are a great Idea!

Why are so many silos unused and derelict?

Yeah, whatever happened to the family farm anyways? We could debate that for a long time.

Turbines are just the next 'thing'. There's always a 'thing'. There'll be more 'things' as we think of them.

I do love how "green" technologies get defined.

A nuclear plant which has a much smaller footprint than the equivalent 500 wind turbines it takes to replace it is considered "dirty", while the environmental impact of the turbines must be ingored because wind is a "green" technology.

I'm all for lots of different kinds of energy. I'm all against the PC idiots I read articles by almost every day who don't know the first thing about power and energy, and most importantly how to be objective.

A nuclear plant which has a much smaller footprint than the equivalent 500 wind turbines it takes to replace it is considered "dirty", while the environmental impact of the turbines must be ingored because wind is a "green" technology.

I think that's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. When people talk about the nuclear "footprint," they're usually not talking about the same type of footprint you're referring to in terms of the total amount of acreage that a wind farm might occupy. Nuclear "footprint" is usually defined more in terms of the ecological - potential impact in the event of an accident and the production of radioactive waste that needs to be dealt with, not the physical amount of space occupied.

I'm not against nuclear energy, per se - I think it still has the potential to make up a part of our energy grid. As far as the whole "green" thing goes, I agree that it's overused to the point of inaccuracy. I care about what makes us energy independent, and ideally about what is renewable, rather than finite. Not so much because it's "green" (and much of it isn't, exactly) but just because being dependent on renewable resources makes a lot more sense than being dependent on non-renewables.

As far as the noise impacts of turbines in residential neighborhoods, obviously that's an impact that's going to need to be remedied if turbines are going to be publicly accepted on a large scale. But there are also large, sparsely populated areas where they seem totally appropriate. If the alternative is more foreign conflict, and more casualties, over resources that aren't even ours to begin with, I think having to look at fields of wind farms now and then seems like a pretty minimal sacrifice.

Btw, can we get past the whole tired "PC" label? People who point fingers and label others as "PC" are typically just as staunchly attached to a different agenda as those they ridicule. In other words, they are just as "politically correct"  - just on the other end of the spectrum.

People who point fingers and label others as "PC" are typically just as staunchly attached to a different agenda as those they ridicule. In other words, they are just as "politically correct"  - just on the other end of the spectrum

What?

People who point fingers and label others as "PC" are typically just as staunchly attached to a different agenda as those they ridicule. In other words, they are just as "politically correct"  - just on the other end of the spectrum

What?

What the $&*%?

If the alternative is more foreign conflict, and more casualties, over resources that aren't even ours to begin with, I think having to look at fields of wind farms now and then seems like a pretty minimal sacrifice.

I thought we were involved in the current foriegn conflict over oil. Why does every PC greenie draw a line from wind turbines to oil independence? I thought they replace coal plants. Is there coal in Iraq too? I have no problem with them as part of our energy supply, but have to wonder why the wind only blows in rural and "sparsley populated" areas. I believe there is a rather large city to the south of me that is known for it's wind and has a lot of tall buildings with empty rooftops.

I also know many people who have wind turbines spinning away in their "back yards" and love them. It's quite funny that they are also perplexed that their electric bill hasn't gone down yet.

Also agree with Flush (once again) on the nuke issue, and about "PC idiots" who give lip service to objectivity.