Any sports

I am sitting here in the wind and rain miserable because we just had to cancel our tennis sessions for the third day in a row. While in this funk, I was wondering about the UJers playing other sports, other than those involving rod and gun.

I have been seriously playing tennis for 55 of my 67 years and the passion, despite a chronic tennis elbow, has been unabated for all those years. Hockey was my other passion, and I played it a lot until younger idiot NHL player wannabees took the fun out of it (frankly, my then small 55 year old body wasn't up to it). I can still throw a decent spiral with the oval ball, and will at the drop of a bat play softball anytime.

You guys have any "life" sports? Oh yeah, you may include golf.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calgaryrookie

• Hunshatt

• Matto

x Bred Pointer
Dabbled in a lot along the way-baseball, softball, tennis and even golf although I've never owned a set of clubs. Hockey was my main game for a lot of years and played to the junior B/intermediate B levels. Got out of it in my early forties while I still had decent knees and hips. Also didn't like the idea of dropping out there from the big one like was happening to a lot of guys I knew. Now if it doesn't have a dog, gun or fishing rod involved, I graciously bow out. I might make a come back at tennis if I ever had the chance to play the legendary Mr. Hong.  :D

No rod or gun? Wow, that's a tough one.

I bowl occasionally, and golf a league and at least one other day each week during the warm months.

I've given up baseball and softball due to slow feet and weak knees, and I finally gave up water skiing. I still manage to raft whitewater once every couple of years.

I'm a certified diver but don't do anything more than snorkle now. One of the newer sports I've taken up is snorkeling/diving for scallops. I consider that, combined with 12 ounce elbow bends, to be a great fitness type sport.

. One of the newer sports I've taken up is snorkeling/diving for scallops. I consider that, combined with 12 ounce elbow bends, to be a great fitness type sport.

Please pm just WTF your talking about, as we don't want the King to deleat it, this being a family site and what not....Scalops in Oh???

Hey Hong, does trialing count?? no gun, uhhhh never mind, blank, gun.....

Used to roadrace motorcycles, now I do a bit of Mt biking, and what her name is training for a triathalon, and thinks I should get a road bike and ride with her.  :down:  

Golf, as long as it can be done right at the 4 hr mark for 18, regardless of the score :glare:

Is strip clubing a sport?  :blush:

And I know it's good sport, but almost  to easy ,  what about picking on goatboy??  :oh:

Matt Crawford

Alpine ski, but no racing.

I played tennis a lot when I was younger and still do occasionally.

The more my kids get into sports (running, ski racing, soccer, football and baseball between the three of 'em) the less time I've got to do that kind of stuff myself.

Hiking count? Beer pong?

You ski, too, Hunsy. I've skied with ya'. As a matter of fact, I still have those goggles.

. One of the newer sports I've taken up is snorkeling/diving for scallops. I consider that, combined with 12 ounce elbow bends, to be a great fitness type sport.

Please pm just WTF your talking about, as we don't want the King to deleat it, this being a family site and what not....Scalops in Oh???

Ahhh, don't tell me that. They just taste so darn good I'd hate to think they aren't real....

newcamera010.jpg

newcamera009.jpg

calgaryrookie
Played rugby for my university eons ago. Believe it or not, I picked up lacrosse (box, the rough one, not field) in my mid forties and played a few years. Now it's just golf and skiing occaisionally,a bit of sailing.
gselkhunter

My sporting life started in Comstock Park[syracuse, NY] at the age of 5. It was a cold snowy day and the park had 3 rinks set up. My mother strapped a pair of hockey skates to myself and my brother, a pair of figure skates to my sister  and off she went on her speed skates. Left to fend for myself I learned to skate. Watched the hockey players in the next rink and I was hooked. A couple of the bigger kids dragged me over the wall, with my Mother's permission and I became a hockey player. God I love that game!

Rock and Ice climbing happen after high school. The desire for that is as strong as playing hockey.

Fly fishing didn't hit hard until 1985 and hunting didn't start until 1987.

At 53 hockey and climbing are memories because of injuries but I still hunt and fish. Of course every so often I have to put the skates on and ring the rink.

Golf, as long as it can be done right at the 4 hr mark for 18, regardless of the score :glare:

Any sport involving clubs that's a real sport should have seals in it.

Running, mountain biking, road biking - used to do them all a lot more than I do now.  Also used to do quite a few triathlons.  In many ways my hunting has pushed all these to the side.
Trappercase

I was into competitive curling in High School and went to the Canada Games in '87.  (bring on the curling bashing) Gave that up due to bad knees.  I play golf two or three times a year and would like to play more often so I could shoot better scores than I did when I was fourteen.  I have recently taken up Tae Kwon Do and I am loving it.  Great workout and I am below 190 for the first time in 25 years.  

Who's up for a softball game after shooting in Scarborough?  Pointer owners vs. flusher owners?  The lab guys can ump.

PartridgeCartridge

I've been free diving/spear fishing every year of my life since my father taught me at about age 5. Still do it often during the summer, since I live on the ocean. I think I will stick with it for life although the older I get the less appealing cold water gets.

Knitting, like tennis, never appealed to me.

Running, mountain biking, road biking - used to do them all a lot more than I do now.  Also used to do quite a few triathlons.  

This would be my answer as well. Still do the occassional tri and own the mountain bikes but not as thrilled with it as roading. Finally recovering from a stress fracture and am back running.

I've never gotten into any sports that involve a ball, but have (and do) enjoy hiking, xc skiing and mountain biking (if those count . . . ?)