Any sports

Nine Ball is my game was on a travel league for a few years up and down the east coast. I have not played in a few years but getting the itch to pick up a cue again.

Shot ASA competitive 3D archery for far to many years so much that I got burned out on it and the constant traveling I have not picked up a bow for over 6 years.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calgaryrookie

• Hunshatt

• Matto

I have been playing hockey, started playing again two years ago, and sice I have played with some guys who are 70, I figure, yea you slow down, but you can still have fun playing, just have to find the right leagues.  I have a fun league and a more competitive fun league I play in.

starting playing soccer in 1979 finally stopped last year, rock climbing mountaineering backpacking, have been in there,  , started snowboarding before any resorts would allow it mostly back country stuff, strap a board on your pack and hike yup to 10-12K feet ASL and ride on down.  Now I'm lucky to get out 5 times/ season. MTB most recently. looking towards getting a  couple quads and a bike for the Mrs and I next.

ML

Played fairly serious competitive soccer from 5 until 18.  Could have played in college, but chose to go to a school with a high-level D-1 soccer team - I wasn't that good.

Dabbled in the usual kid sports -- baseball, football, basketball.  

Took up hockey in my early 20's, and have played in beer leagues on and off ever since.  Not playing right now, but need to get back to it.  As Crawford said, the kids are now so many places, sports-wise, it's hard for me to have time to play myself.  I coach a lot more than I play these days.

And I actually do like golf, but I'm not very good.  On a given day, I can shoot anywhere from 90-110, and couldn't tell you why or why not.  Someday I'll take a lesson.

Steve Hunts

Played soccer from '74 up until 2 years ago.  Still enjoyed it but the city league was getting to rough for me.  By the end of the last season I was a mangled mess.  Went out with a bang though with 3 goals and 2 assists.  As a goalie I was able to stop all shots in my last season and retired.

We still alpine ski here as much as we can.  The winters are so long you'd go nuts if you didn't do something.  Although more of our friends are getting away from skiing and into snow machines.  Personally, I hate the things.

Fish, garden, and hike  all summer. My youngest son is into kite flying right now so we're doing a bit of that. We throw a football and baseball quite a bit too.

You guys are making feel real crappy about my golf game.  I only play every couple years but I think I shot a 141 last time out.  Come to think of it I don't even know where my clubs are....
bosco mctavitch

if I could throw a baseball with the same curve that I can't help but hit a golf ball I'd be a zillionaire.

Dad was into climbing mountains so my brother and I hunting and fishing was a bit of a departure, but not much.  Apart from fishing and hunting I was heavily into rock and ice climbing and nordic and telemark ski racing in middle and high school and competitive rowing in the off season (my public HS had a rowing shell purchased through bake sales), nordic ski raced in college but quickly became immersed in climbing and backcountry skiing, which lasted a good number of years after--climbing was a big focus and I sacrificed quite a bit to do it more and more.  Since that's essentially what I do for a living now, my recreational life has come back to fishing and hunting and that other stuff has taken a distant back seat.  It's in the blood though, so I'll come back to it at some point.

Greg Hartman

Like a lot of PA poor boys, I played sports in high school with total desperation as that was well-known to be the only way “out”.  Despite having virtually no innate athletic ability, by sheer effort I somehow managed to grab a scholarship (it allowed me to work in the kitchen and paid the tuition) to get to college.  In college in the mid 1960’s, if you got hurt and didn’t play through your injuries, your scholarship dried up and you went straight into the Army and to Vietnam.  I had friends die because they missed practice. I hated team sports with a passion – still do.

I’ve done all sort of individual stuff – like diving, etc.  Never got into the golf and tennis scene - not part of my culture.  These days, I’m a one trick pony - birddawgs and shooting.

A cousin and I used to own a race car - SCCA club level, fortunately neither one of us had delusions of turning pro.

To paraphrase Hemingway, the only true sports are hunting, mountain climbing and motor racing. All the rest are just games.  :devil:

Between keeping up here at the farm-bird & deer hunting along with fishing and clays shooting there isn't time for anything else. Just ask the wife!

Golf-  perfect compliment to the fall/winter bird dog/hunting stuff, and it is outdoors.  Took it up when the college baseball days ended.  Have tried to qualify for US Am/Open and stuff like that, but always a stroke or 2 off the number.  Now, the youngsters are just too long to keep up, so the local Philly stuff is the only stuff left.

Besides, it is another PERFECt thingto do before you have a beer, just like bird hunting.

Really makes me wonder, whcih came first, beer or golf, beer or bird hunting????

I guess that makes beer a perfect companion, goes well with anything!

Spring is here, it is awesome!

Golf-  perfect compliment to the fall/winter bird dog/hunting stuff, and it is outdoors.  Took it up when the college baseball days ended.  Have tried to qualify for US Am/Open and stuff like that, but always a stroke or 2 off the number.  Now, the youngsters are just too long to keep up, so the local Philly stuff is the only stuff left.

Besides, it is another PERFECt thingto do before you have a beer, just like bird hunting.

Really makes me wonder, whcih came first, beer or golf, beer or bird hunting????

I guess that makes beer a perfect companion, goes well with anything!

Spring is here, it is awesome!

I have to agree . Played football ,hockey, and baseball in HS and some in college . Never played that sissy sport golf till I was 28 and starting to hurt all over . I wish I had played as a youngster cause it probably would have been easier on the bod . Play golf a couple times a week and love it . The game is you and the ball , I find it very challenging .The only thing that keeps me from doing it all year is my love of bird hunting with my dogs .