Any sports

Sports I've played, sports I can play well -- two different stories.

Retired from about 35 years of soccer couple years ago due to back, knee hamstring problems; had been playing league soccer since about '81.  Played 2 years of college soccer.

Can play golf a little.  Can ski, downhill and uphill (x-country); can paddle canoes, whitewater kayaks & waverunners, ocean kayaks.  Like mtn biking, road biking.  Like working out.  Used to play tennis a lot, moved to TX and had a hard time scatching up games.  Played squash, racquetball and my favorite --platform tennis when we lived in Pgh.  Platform is a great winter sport and a blast to play.  You New Englanders know all about it.  

Hiking & camping are up there.  My favorite sport is power eating combined with power drinking.  Seem to have a lot of natural ability for those two, especially when combined.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calgaryrookie

• Hunshatt

• Matto

I have played basketball since 5th grade but nevery very well.  Now I coach JV Girls ball so i get playing in at our practices.  I started coacking track this year.  I am the shotput coach so i had to learn to do it.  i can throw 37 feet on a good day.  Mostly, I watch basic footwork and put them through hell in the weightroom.
 Now I coach JV Girls ball so i get playing in at our practices.  .

how cool,  you get to beat up on little girls.... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Off road motorcycle racing. I started racing when I was 17 and am still doing it at 49.9 years old.

I did Motocross in the 1970's Enduro/Hare Scrambles in the 1980's. I started competing in Observed trials in 1986 and have kept at it. Now I just compete in the Vintage events riding bikes from the early 1980's.

I also ride street bikes but jeepers it's dangerous!!

I also used to be an avid mountain biker. I'm getting back into Mtn Bikes after a 12 year hiatus.

I also like bowling and shooting pool. Eight ball call your shot is the way to go.

Bryan

I spent years road biking and mountain biking but have dialed back a bit the last few years. My winter passion is definitely down hill skiing.  :D

In my misguided youth I raced motocross and flat track.  That came to a quick end when a friend got killed one day.  I still love motorcyles but the truth of how dangerous they are has never left me.  I also sailed and raced sailboats since I was a kid.  I managed to compete on a national level in many classes and some international stuff too but I didn't have what it takes to go further.  I found that racing wasn't as fun as just sailing as time went on.  I was particularly fond of single handed ocean sailing.  I had to stop sailing seven years ago due to a neuro condition that has cause balance problems.

These days I hike, bike (road and mt), kayak, run, XC ski, etc.  I am out everyday for at least two or three hours as part of my fittness training for the neuro condition.  Sometimes it is like having a job (God forbid) but usually I enjoy it.

I am thinking about doing part of the Appalacian trail this year but more on that later.

Dave

Hunshatt, half my girls a bigger than i am so it is often the other way.  They love trying to push coach about.  Even the little ones can be a problem with their sharp bony elbows,  I come home more worn out than they do some days.  By the way, my top shotputters both won conference today.  regionals is next.
shorthairgrousedog

My sports now are with gun and rod only. Bird hunting is always number one followed closely by sporting clays, fishing (all types). During my younger days (I hate saying that) Skiing and competitive Barefoot water skiing were my thing. I barefooted in 6 National championships. Then the kids came along and I gravitated back to hunting and fishing.

A couple of pictures of the old days (I hear glory days playing in the back ground :laugh: )

1991barefoot.jpg

Barefoot1990.jpg

Barefooting92.jpg

flip.jpg

Like most I shoot, hunt and fly fish.

I also fly airplanes and SCUBA dive.

I skydived until 3 years ago when, at the age of 57, I decided to get back into shooting shotguns and bird hunting after a 25 year layoff.

PaFlyfisher
Golf, as long as it can be done right at the 4 hr mark for 18, regardless of the score :glare:

Any sport involving clubs that's a real sport should have seals in it.

Hilarious!!!!

While I was in the Marine Corp I started playing rugby.  Loved it.  Played then in college and a little on a men's side.  At 40 now I would love to, but physically just can't.
Briarscratch

I had one brief miserable encounter with wrestling 8th grade.  Being the biggest kid I was put up for sacrifice during the one and only meet we had - with an inner city school.  For that brief moment I understood how the Christians must have felt when they were being fed to the lions.

We were a motor sports family so I raced APBA stock outboards and hydroplanes through high school.  Also spent a lot of time on BMX bikes and motorcycles.  The only non-motor "sport" I did growing up was karate which I did through high school.  I took a break but returned 15 years later.  This October I'll be testing for my Nidan rank which I'll be preparing for all summer.

calgaryrookie
flip.jpg

OMG. Looks like a scene from a utility company safety video that was edited out due to extremely disturbing content.