Any sports

Running, mountain biking, road biking - used to do them all a lot more than I do now.  Also used to do quite a few triathlons.  

This would be my answer as well. Still do the occassional tri and own the mountain bikes but not as thrilled with it as roading. Finally recovering from a stress fracture and am back running.

Make that three of us. Although I still do plenty of races.  Last year I ran 2 marathons and a 15k, and did a half ironman too. I just raced a half marathon this past Sunday. All of the exercise helps mitigate the beer consumption.

I also enjoy x-country skiing (skating specifially), snow shoeing, and pick-up basketball.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calgaryrookie

• Hunshatt

• Matto

bosco mctavitch
flip.jpg

How many times do I have to say it??  ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS close the safety bar on the chairlift!

Matt Crawford

The only guy I did growing up was Karate whom I did through high school.  I took a break but returned 15 years later.

Yeah, we know.

What no lacrosse players on this board!?!

Played from high school through college (before I failed out!) and even played up until I was 30. I had more injuries in the last year than the previous 16 years. I finally quit when I seperated my shoulder and broke a rib. Every spring I think I'll play again. Maybe on the masters team now. I even coached a HS team for  years before I moved out west. I do miss the game.

I was into mountain bike racing up until 2 yrs ago. When I crashed on a training ride in the Blackriver state forest with the dog. Breaking 4 bones in my back along with 2 ribs. Laying there with just the dog wondering if I was going to die or be helped out was enough for me. Now I do enough to keep the dog and I in shape. But with out all the training required for racing now I enjoy hunting so much more. Dan
calgaryrookie

Played from high school through college (before I failed out!) and even played up until I was 30. I had more injuries in the last year than the previous 16 years.

Pussy  :D  I STARTED my lacrosse career in my mid 40's. Played in a "Master's" league. My only "injury" was basically not being able to walk the day after every game! old, old legs....

Played from high school through college (before I failed out!) and even played up until I was 30. I had more injuries in the last year than the previous 16 years.

Pussy  :D  I STARTED my lacrosse career in my mid 40's. Played in a "Master's" league. My only "injury" was basically not being able to walk the day after every game! old, old legs....

You palyed box lacrosse....that field is a lot shorter!!! Joking, I played a few box lacrosse games in my career and they by far were a lot more physical to say the least. I still have some scare tissue from a Broken Arrow cross check. Ouch. No Legs here too! I save them for blue grouse hunting!

bigjohnsd

In my youth I was a founder and Charter Member of the Anti Athletic League.  

By the time I was in Jr High to me it wasn't a sport if it didn't have a motor.

Real racers only turn left, fenders are for sissies!

Throughout high school and college I helped many guys with their open wheel race cars, sprints, midgets, modifieds, super modifieds.  

Once I joined the Navy I didn't have the time or the money until my mid-thirties when several buddies and i began racing Karts on a 1/8 mile dirt oval in Southern California.  We raced at Carlsbad and Ascot Park in LA.  Problem I had was that i had to be at work on Monday morning and the young fearless teens and pre-teens didn't. To them a night in the hospital was a badge of honor!

When I retired from the Navy and we moved to South dakota I started helping some guys race Sprint Cars in Rapid City, SD.  Eventually this led to owning a Sprint Car, 18 wheeler to pull it and touring the Rocky Mountain region with the American Sprint Car Series.  

I can personally tell you how to make $25,000 racing Sprint Cars, start with $60,000 and race for two years!

When I sold my motorcycle dealership I no longer had the cash flow to support the racing habit and we sold all the sprint car stuff too.

Now i golf, not very well, but I really enjoy it!

shorthairgrousedog

In my youth I was a founder and Charter Member of the Anti Athletic League.  

By the time I was in Jr High to me it wasn't a sport if it didn't have a motor.

Real racers only turn left, fenders are for sissies!

Throughout high school and college I helped many guys with their open wheel race cars, sprints, midgets, modifieds, super modifieds.  

Once I joined the Navy I didn't have the time or the money until my mid-thirties when several buddies and i began racing Karts on a 1/8 mile dirt oval in Southern California.  We raced at Carlsbad and Ascot Park in LA.  Problem I had was that i had to be at work on Monday morning and the young fearless teens and pre-teens didn't. To them a night in the hospital was a badge of honor!

When I retired from the Navy and we moved to South dakota I started helping some guys race Sprint Cars in Rapid City, SD.  Eventually this led to owning a Sprint Car, 18 wheeler to pull it and touring the Rocky Mountain region with the American Sprint Car Series.  

I can personally tell you how to make $25,000 racing Sprint Cars, start with $60,000 and race for two years!

When I sold my motorcycle dealership I no longer had the cash flow to support the racing habit and we sold all the sprint car stuff too.

Now i golf, not very well, but I really enjoy it!

You would have to be crazy to drive one of those things. It's pretty much like a go cart with a V8

calgaryrookie

You palyed box lacrosse....that field is a lot shorter!!! Joking, I played a few box lacrosse games in my career and they by far were a lot more physical to say the least. I still have some scare tissue from a Broken Arrow cross check. Ouch. No Legs here too! I save them for blue grouse hunting!

Matto, never played field lacrosse. People often think box lacrosse is like hockey because of the setting and equipment, but it's strategically more like basketball actually... really really rough basketball. Is field lacrosse akin to soccer in style of play?

Newwood Hunter

Great question...

I just turned 40 and still play hockey once a week. I have been playing since I was 4 and played through HS and college (div III. nothing major).   I don't know how many years I left, but I still enjoy the competition.

I also golf quite a bit once the April-June hatches slow down and the rivers get really overgrown.

Lets see....I used to play baseball as a kid and tennis in HS and college..

As the years go by, my time spent "flyfishing/chasing pointing dogs" has increased massively.  But as the question goes, I am supposed to report on sports other than those involving rod and/or gun.

Matto, never played field lacrosse. People often think box lacrosse is like hockey because of the setting and equipment, but it's strategically more like basketball actually... really really rough basketball. Is field lacrosse akin to soccer in style of play?

It's the same game but.....the biggest difference is that they are both physical. Box has contact and field has the running. Both are similiar to basketball with pick n rolls. Box has smaller and tighter picks. But I would not compare the field game to soccer....big insult.

bigjohnsd
You would have to be crazy to drive one of those things. It's pretty much like a go cart with a V8

1300# including driver, 700hp for the ones we had.

I drove it a few times on test and tune days - my wife and i made a deal, I could go Sprint car Racing but i couldn't race.

Sometimes you just have to make the best of a situation.  I guess divorce is probably more expensive than Sprint Car racing!  :D

calgaryrookie

It's the same game but.....the biggest difference is that they are both physical. Box has contact and field has the running. Both are similiar to basketball with pick n rolls. Box has smaller and tighter picks. But I would not compare the field game to soccer....big insult.

You mean field lacrosse players do NOT roll around on the field as if they had just been shot at the slightest physical contact? OK, it's NOTHING like soccer then. My apologies.