Any sports

Newwood Hunter, where did you play D-III hockey?  Just asking because I am a WI native who played D-III in the NCHA a while back.  I just turned 33 though, so we likely didn't play against each other.

Nice to so a few hockey folks around.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calgaryrookie

• Hunshatt

• Matto

burchdogs
I just retired from motocross a couple of years ago...gravity hurts! Big fun but when you make a mistake it tends to be painful. Still play softball, ski and mountain bike.
Newwood Hunter

OK Black Lab...

Played at Gustavus.  Small little school in St. Peter MN. Even smaller after the tornado ten years ago.

I grew up in River Falls, WI and spent my youth going to all the UW-RF games.   My guess is you played at Eau Claire, Stevens Point or Superior..Am I way off?

You mean field lacrosse players do NOT roll around on the field as if they had just been shot at the slightest physical contact? OK, it's NOTHING like soccer then. My apologies.

No flopping around in lacrosse...box or field!! Can you imagine if you did that bs in a game?

Newwood Hunter, I played at St. Scholastica in Duluth.  I wasn't good enough to play for Coach Baldy at Point.  They were not far removed from national championships at that point in time.  We played the Gusties a few times in the NCHA vs. MIAC series.

Didn't Gustavus make the frozen four this year?  Beat Stout to go out east for the finals?

I grew up in central WI (Mosinee) but have a few connections to your area of the state too.  My uncle coached EC North for many years.

mnbrdhntr
Wow not one wrestler on here. Now I know wrestling isn't a casual sport to take into you late years, but at the age of 40 I still get on the mat every day during the season. I coach a middle school program, and a post season club.
Newwood Hunter

OK Black Lab,

"Point" was really good back in the day.  I have not followed them recently, but i know we lost to them in the playoffs.

The "gusties" went to the national championship this year, but I believe the lost.  Such is life.  I follow their program casually, and it was fun to see them make it so far.

I think Scholastica has had a decent squad the past few years.  

It was fun playing, but I actually enjoyed playing more once I got out of college.  It was more about getting together with the guys, getting in a good skate and not thinking too much about it.

Briarscratch
Wow not one wrestler on here. Now I know wrestling isn't a casual sport to take into you late years, but at the age of 40 I still get on the mat every day during the season. I coach a middle school program, and a post season club.

Well, not exactly wresting but I started to get into Brazillian Jiu Jitsu to round out my training.  It's so much fun and nothing else I've done has physically wrung me out.  Unfortunately, I'm also 40 but when I get onto the mat I think I'm 20 which only results in one painful and lasting injury after another.  

I figure that since I started training again to stay in shape for grouse season debilitating martial arts injuries are probably best avoided.

Spring and summer is cycling.

Late summer/early fall is deer hunting (archery)

Fall is grouse hunting

Winter is hockey

Repeat

I haven't decided if I am a cyclist who hunts or a hunter who cycles. But since I spend more money and have more bikes than guns I guess I'm the former.

I played baseball and football as a youth but hockey was My game. I played for almost 40 years. I gave it up last year,at 45 I'm trying to keep My legs for chasing bird dogs. I was quite a snow skiier and did it profesionaly as a pro patoller. I still ski once in a while but not as much as I used to. I Was a ski-bum and got into some climbing when I lived in co.I was really into golf about 15 years ago and I think I,m gonna start swinging the clubs again.