Classic Heavy Metal
    • Power Metal
      Classic Heavy Metal
    • Gothic Metal
      Classic Heavy Metal
    • Folk Metal
      Classic Heavy Metal

Briarscratch

Phred's recent post Math and Science stimulated the old academic juices.  Unfortunately, math and science weren't my strong suits.  In fact when my HS guidance counselor reviewed my aptitude tests he frowned and said that I should pursue a career in radio or logging.

No wonder I became a stoner and spent all my time hanging around with degenerates listening to metal, punk and deep roots reggae.

This group has proven to have a broad range in musical tastes.  More recently we've discussed Opera, Classic Country, Bluegrass, Alt Country and Indie stuff, but here's a subject we haven't covered....

So what is your favorite kind of Metal and who are the bands you grew up listening to and/or currently listen to?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Briarscratch

• Ben Hong

• gary kebo

PartridgeCartridge

I had no idea there were so many genres of Metal.

Signed,

Stoner

For me, in Jr High the big bands were Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Foghat, Black Sabbath, BTO, Rush, The Kinks - then in a year or two bands a little faster started slipping in, like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Van Halen, AC/DC, etc.   I never caught on to that second waive of faster metal, because I happened to be at a friends place when his older brother played Holidays in the Sun by the Sex Pistols, and I was hooked and went punk - Generation X, Pistols, Ramones, Sham 69.  Then into college I mellowed out and relaxed into the more alternative post-punk Psych Furs, Simple Minds, REM, Echo and the Bunnymen, Joy Division, etc., and have pretty much stayed on the alternative side, musically, into my middle-aged years.  But to look at me you'd never guess it in a million years.

I will admit that my oldest boy and me get into Rammstein, for those of you into German Industrial Metal.  :)

Does the group "Canadian Brass" count? :D

Trivia question: in rock music, where and when was the term "heavy metal" mentioned first?

Each metal has it's own purpose but I'm not familiar with most you have listed. Maybe Classic Heavy Metal is what I'd call iron, and Power Metal may be cold rolled steel. Perphaps Death Metal has to do with Damascus steel.

I've always liked working with copper. It cuts easily, can be soldered, and turns that nice patina. I've never cared for lead although it is soft and makes great shims for hinges. I guess I just don't like the taste of it after I've chewed on a piece for an extended period of time.

AC/DC, Reo Speedwagon, Journey, Boston, Van Halen and the rest of the "Hair" Bands.  :D

Got my 6yo daughter into Journey and AC/DC!

Wife "rocks out" to British pop/punk - highschool years in Europe!!! :oops:

Tried to mellow out with James Taylor and Jimmy Buffett, but the need to rock and bob my head usually takes over, and I blow a speaker!

I watched drugs ruin my best friends - so the Dead is always OUT!  Every Dead Head I knew in grade school, highschool and my first 2 years in college is still living in a halfway house!  :ghostface:

Q

Is there really a 3 smiley limit?

Stoner,

What the hell are you talking about?

Signed, Academic/athlete

me too --

which choice do the Mommas and Pppas fall into

PartridgeCartridge
which choice do the Mommas and Pppas fall into?

Men's Super Absorbant Underpants Metal

M V McDonald

I'm with SG and bd, just too old to relate.  I had a job in college at a local sports arena that hosted all the bands of the early '70s...didn't understand it then, don't understand it now.  Fortunately I was wise enough to wear hearing protection while working the near weekly concerts and retain good hearing now on the back side of my 50s.  I think I still have an Iron Butterfly album someone gave me, but that's it "metal-wise".

Mike

grousegunner

throughout junior high and high school we listened to Van Halen, Metallica, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and the like.

A few years back my brother in law couldn't find a babysitter so he took his four year old to an Iron Maiden concert.  He said the place was full of middle aged people.

I had a hard time narrowing it down for this one as I like several of these genres.   I'm a pretty traditional metalhead but have been known to venture into the glam and industrial areas on occasion.

If I had to quantify it:

Metallica (hands down favorite)

Black Sabbath

Warrant

Pantera