• Industrial Metal
      Classic Heavy Metal
    • Power Metal
      Classic Heavy Metal
    • Gothic Metal
      Classic Heavy Metal
    • Folk Metal
      Classic Heavy Metal

m the glam guy….because frankly from 1986-1993 was technically that era.

Everything from Poison (sorry it brought chicks to parties) and Bon Jovi to Metallica, Vinny Vincent Invasion, Bullet Boys, Britany Fox, Skid Row, Tesla, Dream Theater, etc.

I tend to be a classic rock/country guy now.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Briarscratch

• Ben Hong

• gary kebo

Briarscratch

I graduated HS in 1987 so the Rock staples of my misspent youth were:

Deep Purple, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Skynyrd, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd and Rush.  

But I was also heavy into Reggae - Marley, Tosh, Prince Far I, Yellowman, Black Uhuru, Steel Pulse, Shabba Ranks.

And I dabbled in Punk - Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, PIL, Black Flag, Butthole Surfers.

In college it was a lot of classic blues but also bands like Fugazi, Bad Brains, Mudhoney, Helmet, Janes Addiction, etc.

Now it's mostly alt country, classic country, country rock, cow punk, and indie rock / alt rock.  But none of these are really good genre labels because the lines are so blurred.  

Lately I've been angrier at the world than usual and in the mood to wage war and break heads so I've been listening to more metal.

Circles I guess.

I'm with SG and bd, just too old to relate.  I had a job in college at a local sports arena that hosted all the bands of the early '70s...didn't understand it then, don't understand it now.  Fortunately I was wise enough to wear hearing protection while working the near weekly concerts and retain good hearing now on the back side of my 50s.  I think I still have an Iron Butterfly album someone gave me, but that's it "metal-wise".

Mike

Funny that you should mention Iron Butterfly.

I think you and I were about 15 when that album came out.

I liked them but all the "cool" folks made fun of them. I lacked the musical sophistication to know why.

Now I know.  I turned on the tv last night to bore myself to sleep, which is my usual habit.  It didn't take long.

A near geriatric Iron Butterfly was torturing an audience with the painfully repetitive, "In a Gada da Vida".

I said to mysef, it's a good thing so many were stoned back then or they never would have gotten away with this kind of crap.

The so-called, Theme Album became popular back in the early 70s, when some otherwise good bands had the shocking vanity to believe they could write a 45 minute song and have anyone who was not in a coma, actually like it.  Thank God that's over!

M V McDonald
A near geriatric Iron Butterfly was torturing an audience with the painfully repetitive, "In a Gada da Vida".

See what I mean.  I don't get it no matter how many times they repeat it.  It must require chemical stimulants.

Mike

Lee et al - I present The Greatful Dead as exhibit A.............discuss........

Steve

I've never taken a hard drug in my life (rollin' and puffin' don't count) and I enjoy the Dead. I just like their music.

I once knew a guy who had a little different outlook on drugs. He also owned a Hemi Roadrunner until he mixed drugs, In A Gadda Da Vida and high RPMs. Then, after a loud noise and a trail of oil, had a Roadrunner less Hemi.

Briarscratch

I've never taken a hard drug in my life (rollin' and puffin' don't count) and I enjoy the Dead.

Hear Hear!  Mike for Drug Czar!

I probably shouldn't admit this but I once saw the notes from a Steely Dan song bubble out of a speaker right in front of me.

That was a long long time ago and I was big into "opening the doors of perception" as Alduous Huxley put it.

M V McDonald
I probably shouldn't admit this but I once saw the notes from a Steely Dan song bubble out of a speaker right in front of me.

That's it.  No more wandering into the bushes with you while you are playing air guitar on your model 21.   :O

Mike

Briarscratch

I can understand your concerns Mike, but if I hadn't done all that experimenting I would never have learned how to telepathically communicate with the dogwoods and prickly ash.

Regarding Folk Metal (from Wikipedia)

Folk metal is a sub-genre of heavy metal music that developed in Europe during the 1990s. As the name suggests, the genre is a fusion of heavy metal with traditional folk music. This includes the widespread use of folk instruments and, to a lesser extent, traditional singing styles.

The earliest exponent of folk metal was the English band Skyclad. Their debut album The Wayward Sons of Mother Earth was released in 1990. It was not until 1994 and 1995 that other early contributors in the genre began to emerge from different regions of Europe as well as in Israel. Among these early groups, the Irish band Cruachan, the Israeli band Orphaned Land and the German band Subway to Sally each spearheaded a different regional variation that over time became known as Celtic metal, oriental metal and medieval metal respectively. Despite their contributions, folk metal remained little known with few representatives during the 1990s. It was not until the early 2000s when the genre exploded into prominence, particularly in Finland with the efforts of such groups as Finntroll, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Turisas, and Moonsorrow.

The music of folk metal is characterized by its diversity with bands known to perform different styles of both heavy metal music and folk music. A large variety of folk instruments are used in the genre with many bands consequently featuring six or more members in their regular line-ups. A few bands are also known to rely on keyboards to simulate the sound of folk instruments. Lyrics in the genre commonly deal with paganism, nature, fantasy, mythology and history.

Aren't you glad you asked?

M V McDonald
I can understand your concerns Mike, but if I hadn't done all that experimenting I would never have learned how to telepathically communicate with the dogwoods and prickly ash.

Scratch, we need you to go lie down now.   ???

Mike

Steve Hunts

I still find myself channeling Timothy Leary from time to time but nothing like back in the 70's.  

Only metal I can stand in Van Halen's 1st album.  Always like punk though.  The Clash a real fav.

Right now I'm into Canned Heat.  A band I never really appreciated until now. I picked up 6 albums of their early stuff from b4 Alan Wilson died.  Amazing blues/boogie music.  Wilson(blind owl) played some amazing harp and slide guitar as well as writing some great stuff. Here's an awesome old video from '68 euro tour-