• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• Briarscratch

• gary kebo

SteelSearchin
Benelli Banger, I'm on a Robert Earle roll right now. Also a big Lucinda fan.

REK was by far the coolest show I've ever been to (and i used to work as a runner at the MSU Breslin Center, so i saw a lot of shows).  

Hoping to catch another one of his shows in Texas next summer.

1) Beck - part of the Y100 Feztival, he stole the show.

2) John Mayer - Saw him at the TLA in Philly before he was famous, say what you will but that boy can play guitar and it's easy to see when he's live how big of an influence Stevie Ray is to him.

3)Toad the Wet Sprocket - No one show sticks out, we've seem them about 9 or 10 times (wife's favorite) but they always put on a good show and the do an AWESOME cover of Zigggy Stardust.

Honorable Mentions:

-The Clarks - band from Pittsburgh, PA opened for John Mayer

-First concert - The Monkees with Weird Al opening

-Jenny Owens Young - cool singer/songwriter chick

The following is not about a concert per se, but it is very cool.

For years in the 60s and 70s my family operated the largest restaurant in town (seats 250, bar with dance parquet, live band etc.). One night after a sold out concert Charlie Pride and his band was brought in to our place for a late meal by the booking agent who was a family friend. Even though it was after 1:00 AM we held the place open for the band and all the roadies. It wasn't long before a few of the remaining patrons asked Charlie to sing a few tunes, and lo and behold he coaxed his band members up on stage to do just that, using the instruments that the previous band had kindly permitted. It wasn't long before word got out and soon the restaurant was packed (3:00 AM), with people in night clothes, slippers, and what all.

Charlie sang until 5:00 am, 4 hours before his flight was due out and we had one of the best days of business of the year. I was not a huge country music fan back then,  but Charlie sang everything and man, could he sing the blues!!

As he left, Charlie said that it was one of the best nights of his life as an entertainer.

1. The Monkee's at Forest Hills Stadium in N.Y around 1967.  Don't laugh the reason I remember it so well is because Jimi Hendrix opened the show. And what a show he put on. Monkee fans were unprepared.

2. Jefferson Airplane at the Asbury Park Convention Center around 1967 also. Got the chance to meet, chat and shake hands with Grace, Paul and the band as they were loading there bus. Grace waved to me as their bus was leaving.  :love:  

She's aged a little since then.

3. Dan Fogelberg at Red Rocks, Colorado.

Honorable mention. The Who at Asbury Park Convention Center and all 7 Jimi Buffett concerts I've seen.

nobirdshere

Some of the tops:

*Joe Henderson - The Jazz Estate - a tiny club in Milwaukee WI - 1992

*Dave Holland Quintet - The Jazz Showcase, Chicago - 2002

*Joe Pass - Yoshi's, Oakland - 1991

*Paco De Lucia - Pabst Theater, Milwaukee - 1996ish.

*Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin and Al Dimeola - Milwaukee, 1995ish - top 5 despite Dimeola and his huge rack of devices.

*Stevie Ray Vaughn and Greg Allman - 1985ish - Very small theater gig.

*Buena Vista Social Club (Afro-Cuban All-stars) when Ruben Gonzalez was still alive and playing with them. He had to be carried to the piano and once there, was absolutely incredible.  

*Van Halen - 1983, Brown County WI - $13 seemed pretty steep for a concert ticket at the time.

Honorable mention:

Pink Floyd - 1987ish - pigs did fly. I think.

I heard a few Dead "shows" in various locales back in the 80's. I do vaguely recall the overwhelming stench of patchoulie, BO, and (mostly) commercial grade ganja....

I have to go back a few years but seems others have too.  Santana, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, and Linda Ronstadt when she was pretty hot.  Saw Bruce Springteen steal a show from Jackson Brown.  As the kids say it was awesome.  Now a days, it's some country, some classics, some oldies, some chant and vocalists, some CCR but always in bed before 9:30 :)
Briarscratch

I've seen Lucinda in Philly and it was a great show. I have all her albums but Car Wheels is my favorite.  

If you like Lucinda, check out Kathleen Edwards.  Another great woman singer songwriter with great pipes and a good amount of twang.

Member CraigD turned me on to a bunch of good stuff - REK and James McMurtry being at the top of the list.

Back to rock concerts, I saw Guns&Roses open for Aerosmith.  It would have been a great show if the undercover cops hadn't confiscated our cooler and given us all underage drinking tickets.

Sigh.

Nobirdshere,

I like you list ! Would have loved to heard Buena Vista SC.

Back when I was growing up in Chicago I was able to

sneak into the jazz clubs in Old Town a few times. Most

memorial artests was Thelonis Monk,humming and moaning

at his piano and the place was almost empty. Ramsey

Lewis playing The In Crowd and the wonderful Mongo

Santamaria-Watermelon Mannnn.

BTW, have any of you seen/heard Van Morrison in concert ?

He played at a lot at the Filmore and boy did he love to

party. More than once he was so drunk I didn't think he

would ever complete his set,but when he was on he rocked.

Also was lucky enough to see the Allmans when Gregg,

Duane and Dicky Betts were all still playing together.

Who ever mentioned John Mayal I liked him in concert.

He put on a good show as the other blue eyed blues boys

Johnny and Edger Winter.

Has anyone ever seen the James Brown Revue,forgot about

that Superstar who taught Michael Jackson all his moves.

I've seen Lucinda in Philly and it was a great show. I have all her albums but Car Wheels is my favorite.  

If you like Lucinda, check out Kathleen Edwards.  Another great woman singer songwriter with great pipes and a good amount of twang.

Member CraigD turned me on to a bunch of good stuff - REK and James McMurtry being at the top of the list.

Back to rock concerts, I saw Guns&Roses open for Aerosmith.  It would have been a great show if the undercover cops hadn't confiscated our cooler and given us all underage drinking tickets.

Sigh.

I agree about Kathleen. I have her first two albums.

Talking Heads in a no name bar in Boston around 1977 or so while I was in Aaaahhhhht School, before they became big.

U2 at a no name building/stage on UMass Amherst campus around 1980 or so before they became huge.

King Crimson--UMass art center

The Kinks--UMass art center

Sorry that's 4.

Saw Goo Goo Doll aa couple years back in Bangor. I felt really old sitting in the stands. Never again.

Aerosmith before they made it big played my high school

Pink Floyd in Raleigh NC in the early 80's

Zepplin in Boston

Stevie Ray Vaughn in his very last concert with Eric Clapton in Wis on Aug 25th 1990

Trappercase

First off, all you who put Pink Floyd need to add '*' as as far as I see no one has seen them with the heart and soul of PF, Roger Waters.  I would rather see RW than PF without him.  I have seen neither so pooey on me.

Now my list.

1. Springsteen in Montreal in 2005ish - Rising tour ( I saw him again two years later and it wasn't as good.

2. U2 1987 - The Joshua Tree tour.  I couldn't get over being in the same building as 70,000 other people (big O in Mtl)

3. Neil Young - about three months ago.  I've seen him a half a dozen times (with and without CSN) and this had the perfect blend of acoustic gems and raunchy feedback and distortion for me.

Hon Men - Keith Urban, Beach Boys, Brian Adams, Bob Dylan, Kenny Chesney, Tragically Hip, Kim Mitchell, many more...

U2 - 1982 or 83 at Massey Hall Toronto. They weren't yet the big name they became shortly after. I had an extra ticket and had a hard time selling it. None of my friends had heard of them and didn't want to waste $12.00 on a band that "might suck".

Pat Metheny Group on their First Circle tour in the mid 1980's. Sat back around five rows. Amazing concert.

Any of the times I've seen Buddy Guy. My favourite guitar player by far.