3 Favorite Concerts?

bennelli-banger
I must emphasize Fred Eaglesmith...there is an element of RAWNESS that emanates from Fred...if anyone took the time to google his homepage and check out some of his music, you would see for yourself.  He is one of a kind, do yourself a favor and listen to some of his stuff.  It will leave you in a state that words don't adequately describe...

I just went to his website and listened to some 30 second snippets of about 8 of his songs....one of the albums I clicked on was "Ralph's Last Show"...there is a review of that album by the Folk and Acoustic Music Exchange (FAME): "Amazing! Amazing! and nothing short of amazing! Should I say it again?   This is the reincarnation of Jim Morrison, Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, the early Allman Brothers and all that was great about rock and roll before you had to sell a million records to be considered successful.  There is more energy in this CD than in a whole MTV top 100 and if someone knew how to convert it into electricity we would have enough of it for the next 10 years on the whole planet."  I have seen this guy perform twice, and if I was going to travel some place hard to get to to see a concert, it would be to see Fred again.  He gets hundreds of people per show, not thousands, and the vibe is truly amazing.  I hope to get ONE person on this forum to discover Fred...I assure you you will become a "Fred head"...he is like Scotch and side by sides...if you fall for him, you will REALLY fall for him.  Okay, I am done.  Did I mention how frickin amazing Fred Eaglesmith is?  "Time to get a gun", "Your sister cried", "Rodeo Boy", "Cumberland County", "49 Tons"....there are so many more.  Wow.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• Briarscratch

• gary kebo

1 bob marley santa barbara bowl. I might of been 10. My first contact high. If I remember right he passed away the next year.

2 Nirvana in tijuana mexico. About 1990 before they were big

3 pearl jam and soundgarden ventura theatre w/ maybe 600 people.

I did make the first 5 or 6 lalapaloozas. Those ozzfest were pretty cool too.

Oh yeah Jack johnson played at my house once also.

Kerry Stratton

Grateful Dead in the Haight-Ashbury district sometime around '68 or '69.  Can't really remember much from back then.  A couple of buses pulled up to an empty lot and some long haired types unloaded a bunch of equipment.  Soon we had a street concert going on with the Dead.  Totally impromptu.

Alice Cooper back in the late sixties before anyone knew who he was.  Again memory is foggy on exact time frame.  Back then the cat was completely off the wall.  I saw him three or four times in Eugene, OR.  Dead chickens thrown into the audience,band members drinking wine from a huge jug with any number of pills floating in it, chasing each other around with baseball bats.  Once they turned on some big ass fans and broke feather pillows in front of them filling the entire auditorium up with feathers.

BB King front ended by Elvin Bishop in a small college town in Southern Oregon.  It was one of those concerts in a small venue that the performer and audience click together.  I seen BB King on a talk show about a year later and he was asked the best audience he had played for; he told of the concert in the small college town in Oregon.  Bishop was pretty good also.

Steve Hunts

1. Bob Marley 1979 Ottawa, yep.

2. Tie- Talkeetna Bluegrass Festival 1983(aprox.) and Bluegrass festival in Jay or Upper Jay New York around 1982. Talkeetna had a beer tent with a stage.  Saw the most amazing performance by a guy on the hammered dulcimer.  Crowd went wild.

3.  Duke Robillard in a seedy run down Ithaca, NY bar.  There were about 10 people there and they were all at the bar.  I stood about 10 feet away from Duke and watched him play the blues back before he quit and took up swing music or something like that.

Honorable mention- 2 Peter Tosh shows(SLU, Burlington), Jorma Kaukonen(Burlington, VT), two many Dead shows in the 70's and early 80's, Any band that played at the Blind Pig in Champaign Illinois, that place smoked. New Bomb Turks were especially amazing.

1) EVERY Jimmy Buffett show I've been to (and it has been way to long!)

2) You never forget your first show, The Pretenders, original band, Orphium Theater, Boston, 1980

3) David Bowie, Foxboro Stadium, 1983  (But I'm still ticked he didn't play "Heroes")

Honorable mentions: Chuck Berry at the Oprah house in Boston in 1986+- and James Brown at Brown University in 1985

Worst Show ever

Joni Mitchell, Concerts on the Common, Boston, MA 1983,

She stopped playing and complained people were dancing and singing???

Nr 1: The Berliner Philharmonic Orchestra and Beethoven's Nineth Symphony. Herbert von Karajan conducting. The final chorus, "Ode to Joy" is absolutely the best music ever written.

2. Deuscher Oper and "Die Walkurie" by Richard Wagner. Wow!

3. Munich Radio Orchester and Smetana's "The Moldau" or for you Czech purists "The Vltava". Really incredible piece of music; I can see and feel the power of the river moving in the music.

Now that is music, not a lotta loud noise.  :cool:  :cool:

Quailguy

#1 Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray vaughn. 1st row cobo hall Detroit 1980. Nothing has come close to this and nothing probly ever will.  #2 Emerson,lake and palmer Olympia stadium Detroit  #2 Rush. Joe louis arena Detroit.  Honerable mention  The Romantics at My house in Royel oak michigan.

#1-All my Stones concerts-three times total.

#2-A Willie Nelson Birthday Concert in KCMO in the 1970's at Arrowhead Stadium.

#3-A Jerry Jeff Walker/Fabulous Thunderbirds concert in KCKS in the 1970's. JJW was actually able to sing the second time he came out after not being able to even stand the first time.

Concert experiences with Bonny Rait, Lyle Lovett, James Taylor, Fleetwood Mac and Kenny Loggins were also highlights. Then there was the once-in-a-lifetime experience of seeing the Bob Hope show in person in VietNam at Long Binh in 1972......pretty cool!

Now that is music, not a lotta loud noise.  :cool:  :cool:

Quailguy

The best music in the western world, but Wagner is LOUD (noisy?) :D !!! He should have listened to his predecessor Old Ludwig when he use Schiller's "Ode to Joy"

O Freunde, nicht diese tone,

Sondern lasst uns angenehmere

Anstimmen und freundevollere.

Transl:

"O friends, not these loud tones

Let us raise our voices

In more pleasing and more joyful sounds!"

Wagner was the heavy metal star of his day. :laugh:

Briarscratch

Just picked this up from eMusic. fIREHOSE's "Ragin, Full On"

200px-Ragin%27%2Cfullon.jpg

I saw them at the famous 9:30 Club in DC in 1990.  It was a good show, but nothing super excellent. That said, the band has a unique sound that I haven't forgotten in 20 years.  So I DL'd the album and I'm digging it.  

What are some other memorable - but obscure- acts you've seen?

Honorable Mentions:

-The Clarks - band from Pittsburgh, PA opened for John Mayer

-First concert - The Monkees with Weird Al opening

Jim, really like The Clarks too.  Used to play with the North Allegheny indoor soccer team in Pgh and the bassist from The Clarks was on the team, Greg Joseph.  You'd have never known he was a rocker.  Loved seeing them around the 'Burgh and saying hi to Greg between sets.  Another Pgh guy is Billy Price -- he's been around a long, long time doing some great blues rock.  You probably heard of him.

The Monkees and Weird Al...what a way to start.

Steve Hunts
Just picked this up from eMusic. fIREHOSE's "Ragin, Full On"

200px-Ragin%27%2Cfullon.jpg

I saw them at the famous 9:30 Club in DC in 1990.  It was a good show, but nothing super excellent. That said, the band has a unique sound that I haven't forgotten in 20 years.  So I DL'd the album and I'm digging it.  

What are some other memorable - but obscure- acts you've seen?

Love that firehose and Minutemen.

scratch,

you might enjoy this.  a personal fav-

http://www.amazon.com/DESTROY-OH-BOY-New-Bomb-Turks/dp/B0000058T9

Briarscratch

Excellent recommendation Steve!  I have little bit of money left on an iTunes card.  I think I know what I'll do with it now.

The_New_Bomb_Turks-DestroyOhBoy_1.jpg

Oh and in addition to  Firehose, I also picked up this gem from my misspent youth, another classic -

judas_priest_-_sad_wings_of_destiny.jpg

Top 3:

1 The Band, Syria Mosque, Pgh about 1970

2 Ella Fitzgerald, Heinz Hall, Pgh, with Andre freaking Previn on the piano doing a Gershwin song list

3 Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street Tour, Pgh, 2nd row center stage (anyone else think Exile is their best album?)

Honorable mentions that quickly come to mind:

- Crosby, Stills and Nash & Young, Pgh, Civic Arena, about a month after Woodstock

- The Allman Bros, Dead and Beach Boys, Watkins Glen

- around 10 Bonnie Raitt concerts with John Prine, Jackson Browne, Little Feat; once saw her in a bar in Cambridge, MA with just Freebo, talked with once in a restaurant near Delaware, OH after she appeared with Little Feat.

- Jimmy Buffett in a bar in Key West with Steve Goodman

- any of about 5 Bruce Springsteen concerts, 2 of them at Penn State in back to back years

- Bob Dylan and the Rolling Thunder review in Cambridge, MA

- Couple of Lucinda Williams concerts

- Dead, Iowa State Fairgrounds

- Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Harrisburg, PA, about '79

- John Hartford, in a tent show, Northwestern U, '74

For those who have seen Stevie Ray, my wife would be highly envious.  Mrs 88 is a blues/rock freakazoid.  

Excellent topic!  Brought back some great memories.  BTW, am hugely envious of some of the concerts you all have seen.  Also, really good recommendations to check into.