Favorite word(s) in the English language

Nonplussed.  

"A state of perplexity, confusion, or bewilderment. To put at a loss as to what to think, do or say."  

(like me when I miss a grouse  :O )

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 12ette

• Rex Hoppie

• Ben Hong

Nonplussed is also one of the few words used almost entirely in a manner the opposite of its intended meaning.   Most people use it to mean "unaffected by" as opposed to rendered speechless by such news!

Also "peruse" is used the opposite of its meaning by virtually everybody.  Peruse means to read IN GREAT DETAIL, not just glance over.  I bet you don't believe me....  look it up :)

nickwilliams
Not sure if it's my favorite, but I'm partial to scudding. As in scudding clouds. The word sounds like it belongs in the 1800's.

I have no favorite, but I have many that annoy me.  Some good $.50-ers: concupiscence, sycophant, philatelist, numismatic, and onomatopoeia.  

Utilize: this is commonly used as a substitute for "use".  It is not a synonym.  You use a screwdriver to remove a screw, you utilize a butter knife to remove a screw.

The suffix "wise".  Seems today everyone is trying to use "wise" to form an adjective.  Additionally, I hear people say add wise to adjectives... now I have no idea what you are talking about.  

"And what not" good god I cannot stand this... if you cannot expound for whatever reason, please stop talking.

Ironic: A word often used when the speaker means coincidence or just an odd happenstance.

"And what not" good god I cannot stand this... if you cannot expound for whatever reason, please stop talking.

+1 agreed 100%

ML

surreptitious--sly

Kind of rolls off the tounge.

I have no favorite, but I have many that annoy me.  Some good $.50-ers: concupiscence, sycophant, philatelist, numismatic, and onomatopoeia.  

Utilize: this is commonly used as a substitute for "use".  It is not a synonym.  You use a screwdriver to remove a screw, you utilize a butter knife to remove a screw.

The suffix "wise".  Seems today everyone is trying to use "wise" to form an adjective.  Additionally, I hear people say add wise to adjectives... now I have no idea what you are talking about.  

Ironic: A word often used when the speaker means coincidence or just an odd happenstance.

Brilliant

Oh and let me add:

I really dislike it when a person is telling me a story, and it begins: "so basically".  My lord this is always followed by the most mundane vapid (love this word) verbal diarrhea.  Makes me want to puke in my mouth.

"See what had happened"  ugh!  

Or when comparing people, typically heard by sports announcers: Your Bret Favres, and Peyton Mannings of the world.  How many exactly are there?  I hate this.