Favorite word(s) in the English language

Rex Hoppie

My work place people are very fond of "It is what it is" and then look as if hey said something profound.

Life's a bitch and then you die.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 12ette

• Rex Hoppie

• Ben Hong

Dam, I'm afraid to talk now.I always thought I was using local slang.It appears that maybe too much time was spent in the parking lot during English class.Personally I enjoy running a sentence as long as I can without punktuation and love abbreviations.Gotta go now,Crosswords is on.
Ben, nu-cle-ar is clearly 3 syllables.  Merriam Webster may have been a semiliterate polititian.

Must be regional differences Rex, because I don't say "on a cle-ar day you can see forever". The dictionary on my desk is the Oxford Dictionary which agrees with me. Whatever, the point I was trying to make is that there is only one "u" in the word nuclear.

My work place people are very fond of "It is what it is" and then look as if hey said something profound.

I am with you on this... What the $##$ else could it be jackass.

Maybe, maybe not.   I hate this too.  This is the removal of every possibility.

Insipid.   Lacking in taste, (food); or lacking in qualities that interest or inspire.  

Callow.  Lacking in adult sophistication.  

"... and the evening wore on...."

Some of my favorites:

"Circumlocution": is an ambiguous or roundabout figure of speech. In its most basic form, circumlocution is using many words (such as "a tool used for cutting things such as paper and hair") to describe something simple ("scissors"). In this sense, the vast majority of definitions found in dictionaries are circumlocutory.

"Disambiguation":  is the process of identifying which sense of a word is used in any given sentence, when the word has a number of distinct senses.

"Debottlenecking": Increasing production capacity of existing facilities through the modification of existing equipment to remove throughput restrictions. Debottlenecking generally increases capacity for a fraction of the cost of building new facilities.  I've noticed that modern usage includes applying the term "debottlenecking" to administrative processes, as well.

--shinbone

The next time a waiter says, "No problem" I'm going to tear his eyeballs out.
Politically Correct, never have been, never will be.

I'll bet you are.  

People like to thing they are not.

The next time a waiter says, "No problem" I'm going to tear his eyeballs out.

Where did this start?  Bothers me too.  It makes me want to

CRINGE.

Ben, nu-cle-ar is clearly 3 syllables.  Merriam Webster may have been a semiliterate polititian.

Must be regional differences Rex, because I don't say "on a cle-ar day you can see forever". The dictionary on my desk is the Oxford Dictionary which agrees with me. Whatever, the point I was trying to make is that there is only one "u" in the word nuclear.

Need to get you to TX.  Noo-kew-ler fishin' -- LBJ, have no idea what he used for bait.