What ya chasing this fall?

I missed drawing my mn bear license for the first time in almost a decade.  I'll bowhunt whitetails in MN and WI and am looking at an abbreviated South Dakota bowhunt for Antelope.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StormsGSP

• Brad Adrian

• gspbrad

• Brad Eden

We were drawn for Matane again this year - so a couple of moose is pretty much a given. Not exactly what I would call a hunt, but an awesome experience to be surrounded by so many.

I had a custom rifle built for deer over the course of last year, and I'll be toting it around the fields, close to home. I go out mornings and evenings. Interestingly, I hunt deer in the exact same places where I woodcock and grouse hunt for the weeks leading up to the season. It doesn't make a lick of difference - I still manage to see and occasionally shoot deer.

Breakfast Boy

Montana antelope with a bow.  Leaving this coming Friday.

Glad to hear you're finally going to get that bow out and chase some whitetails, Alex.

I applied for an antelope tag here in SD, the application deadline was yesterday, don't know when the draw is.

Will also make the annual Wi deer hunt over Thanksgiving. Definitely not a trophy hunt, although a trophy is possible. More of a "brown its down" kind of hunt.

Alex,

My Bear tag arrived in the mail this weekend. I have to be in Colorado the September 14-18, but I'm planning on heading out to the Berkshires a few afternoons.  Send me a PM if you want to go.

Found out tonight by email that I drew my antelope tag, so the rifle will be in the Jeep during grouse hunts in October-- Brad

Finally drew my tag for deer hunting on the eastern plains of Colorado.

It is big buck country and I have permission to hunt a private ranch.

Also just picked up a leftover antelope tag for an area around Laramie in Wyoming.

If things work out, elk hunting around Pagosa Springs here in Colorado too.

O/U

calgaryrookie
I notice a lot of people just say "got my deer tag" but don't say what type of deer. Are your tags good for any type of deer or do you only have one type there? Also, any differentiation in tags for antlered versus antlerless? I ask because we have both mulies and white-tailed here, and there are differences in tags for antlered and antlerless.

For big game I am staying in Montana: I bought my "A" tag good for 1 Buck (Either a WT or MD), my OTC Elk tag, Drew a buck antelope tag.

My 12 year old son has the same as above plus 2 antelope doe tags, 2 mule deer doe tags, 2 whitetail doe tags.  I am going to have to buy a new freezer.   :laugh:

In addition him and I are heading to Canada for a duck and goose hunt.  We are also going to visit family in ND for ducks, geese and pheasants.  

Upland will be the norm: huns, sharpies, 1 or 2 sage hen hunts, pheasants and a trip to the mountains for grouse.

Nemont

Nephew drew a moose tag here in VT so I'll be along as the "guide". Should be fun.

Besides that just the normal whitetail.

Maybe I'll sneak in a few days and trip down to PA to hunt with the BIL and his family.

Thinking something big for next year.  :)

For many years the bright spot in Ohio hunting has been the opportunity for a good deer. I'll hunt with a bow during the early season, then with a shotgun the week after Thanksgiving, and finally I'll hunt the black powder season if I still have a tag I want to fill.

I may try the fall turkey season this year. I planned to do that last year but received a better offer. Since I didn't shoot a turkey this spring it could be an opportunity to pick up the slack.

• 3 weeks later...
I will be going after white tails with the bow, possibly bear as well.  I need to get out and knock off a few coyotes for a coworker who is covered up in them.