Members Only Forum

Jeff Kimball

I don't like the idea.

I feel that the most valuable asset a web forum can have is momentum. Active posters in relevant topics is the content that draws new members and keeps the forum alive.

Sometime I'd love to see the stats on quantity, frequency and length of posts by contributing members vs. those of non-contributing members. I've got a hunch that numbers would show that the content in the "General Discussions" could be at risk of stagnation in the effort to create a "safe" members only forum.

There's a percentage of new members that will become contributors. I vote to apply efforts into attracting new members, not segregating the one that are already here.

Unscientific, quick count:

20 of the last 25 topics in "General Discussions" not created by admins, were created by contributing members.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• rprovines

• Hunshatt

Top Posters In This Topic

It kinda turns me on Marty, truth be told. If you'd post it I could use it as my wallpaper. Maybe make some enhancements to it, make it my screensaver too.

You'll have to ask Hunshatt or Sydney for it.  I'm not even sure I have it saved anymore.  Sick b@$t@rd$  !  It's obvious you grouse hunters have done too much lap sitting.  Either that or done time.

It kinda turns me on Marty, truth be told. If you'd post it I could use it as my wallpaper. Maybe make some enhancements to it, make it my screensaver too.

You'll have to ask Hunshatt or Sydney for it.  I'm not even sure I have it saved anymore.  Sick b@$t@rd$  !

I may be the only one here that knows that your handle, "mschaefer" is actually, Ms. Chaefer.

(Breakfast Boy @ Aug. 04 2009,5:27)

(StormsGSP @ Aug. 04 2009,5:13)

(Trappercase @ Aug. 04 2009,4:56)

I don't see any problem.  I vote yes, only if you re-open the Genius thread.

+1

+2

+3

-1 =

+2

Jeff-good point. But all active registered and authorized member groups are allowed full privileges in the Members Only Forum--not just the Contributing Member Group.

One point I hadn't stressed is that I have my ass out on the line on this board since its viewed by anyone in the world and my name and address etc is all over it. Having a safe haven/area away from spam bots, trolls, anti-hunter zealots and such makes sense to me in this day and age. But again it's just an experiment.

One point I hadn't stressed is that I have my ass out on the line on this board since its viewed by anyone in the world and my name and address etc is all over it. Having a safe haven/area away from spam bots, trolls, anti-hunter zealots and such makes sense to me in this day and age. But again it's just an experiment.

Then what about taking the whole thing "behind the curtain" vs. having only some protected and some hanging out?

Jeff Kimball

Jeff-good point. But all active registered and authorized member groups are allowed full privileges in the Members Only Forum--not just the Contributing Member Group.

Aha.. gotcha.. not a contributing members only area (as some of the revenue innuendo suggested to me earlier in the topic) but a "no guests" area.

I can certainly understand the problem with having your personal information attached to, what is apparently for some, a controversial sport forum.  I just wonder if a members only area would fix this for you?  You'll still be the owner of the public area, right?

Unless, that is, you're proposing this as a tester for a plan to transition to a FULL members only site, at which point I still stand by my earlier statement that new members are the lifeblood of a web forum. I'm positive new visitors will dry-up for a site that can't be google'd (or bing'ed........ whatever). The crawler-bots for the search engines aren't going to apply for a membership.

PaFlyfisher

Then what about taking the whole thing "behind the curtain" vs. having only some protected and some hanging out?

After the last experiment, the demise of which is partly my fault, I can't agree more with Mooney.

What happened the last time is the rules of the board, which were supposed to apply to the rules of the "private" forum were totally ignored. I can't see the same thing not happening again. You stressed the rules last time to no avail.

The principle of adding some measure of privacy to this board so people feel more comfortable posting pics, locations, meeting up, etc isn't a bad idea. That said, privatizing the board to all non-registrants has to impact the affect recruitment of new member, which drives advertising and contributions.

Enough people feel comfortable posting pics, talking about their hometowns, meeting members, etc, you may leave well enough alone.

I saw the worst in some people the last time.

Bede

Oh my, look what someone sent me. WHy, it's the sweater picture. I was gonna mess with it, but what the hell else could be done to it?

371272709.jpg

The idea has merit....but its a lot of work for you...I suspect most of us would be shocked at the hours you already put in here...But its your nickel...so if you want to give it another shot...I will play nice :D