REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dongotto

Cash for Clunkers

Dongotto
I traded in my cluncker truck today for a new hunting rig and it worked out very nice. If you havn't looked into it, you should give it a look.

PartridgeCartridge
Did you apply  or research this online?

Dongotto
I called my dealer and asked him how much my truck could get. He sold it to me new in 98 and I really liked dealing with him, and I'm glad to say he was great to deal with again. He typed in my info on some website and it gave him a print out of how much I qualified for.

PartridgeCartridge

Just curious as I saw this today and it is quite compelling.

DGilmore

My baby brother sells Toyotas. He tells me that they have 35 clunkers sitting on his lot waiting for the gummint to do their thing and that while the gummint was smart enough to require that the car be owned for at least a year and insured for that period to qualify, no one figured out what to do with the cars.

I was going to say something about gummint and health care, but that's too touchy a subject.

I had a nice glass of Talisker 18 tonight. It was peppery, but not so much as the 10.  I like the 10 better in truth, but the 18 is a special whisky.

FlyChamps
My baby brother sells Toyotas. He tells me that they have 35 clunkers sitting on his lot waiting for the gummint to do their thing and that while the gummint was smart enough to require that the car be owned for at least a year and insured for that period to qualify, no one figured out what to do with the cars.

I was going to say something about gummint and health care, but that's too touchy a subject.

I had a nice glass of Talisker 18 tonight. It was peppery, but not so much as the 10.  I like the 10 better in truth, but the 18 is a special whisky.

Yep.

Doug, I enjoyed speaking with you this morning.

I'm enjoying a nice Islay right now.  It doesn't entirely compensate for the stupidity of government but it helps.

DGilmore

Bowmore, Caol Ila, Lagavulin, or Laphroig?

;)

I'll have a bottle of Lagavulin and one of Bowmore waiting for you when you come to visit me after I get moved.  Thanks again for your help.

Don Steese
Wife and I drove past a dealership today with a lineup of 30 or so "clunkers" waiting to be scrapped. I remarked that most of them looked nicer than the trucks that I'd driven for most of my adult life! :(

frak
All three of my cars qualify!

StormsGSP
Wife and I drove past a dealership today with a lineup of 30 or so "clunkers" waiting to be scrapped. I remarked that most of them looked nicer than the trucks that I'd driven for most of my adult life! :(

I have heard/read the same thing. I would love to buy a 1995 4runner, and they are just getting scrapped.  ???

WindyHills
Have talked to folks from a couple of dealerships recently and they sure like it.  Probably more reasons for it than this program, but a drive around the new car dealer lots in this area will show very sparse numbers of new cars on their lots.  This was not the case just a few months back.

John

Have a friend who owns a dealership, he feels he may well be very screwed by it and on the hook for a lot of money , since it was so poorly run and he is betting he never gets dime from the gov.

Personally it was bad idea, the gov has no biz being the rebate biz.  the people ruining the country right now clearly have no idea what America is about.

WPG Gizmo

One thing they dont mention is you are on the hook for the tax on that 4500.

The #1 trade in is the Ford Explorer of the top 5 being sold the ford fusion is #1 the other 4 are imports.

But the real issue is that folks are buying cars that they dont need in most cases.  You have a older car that is likely paid for money is tight in this economy but you get sucked into buying a new car because the government is offering you a rebate.  The problem is now you need to find a way to pay for the car when before you didnt have that worry.

This is not a good deal but it really shows how gullible people are :down:

popplecop
Don't have a clunker, I drive a GMC.

Too Dogs

So, everyone who needs a new car is buying it now and what happens when the new ones come out? Will the auto industry have a sales slump then?

If I traded in my "clunker" for a Lamboghini, or any import, who gets the benefit of the American tax dollar?

I think this program could have been handled "MUCH" better than it was!-Too Dogs