REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Rhode Island

Sea Ducks

Rhode Island

Gonna try this here first.  I was home in WI for a few weeks over the holidays, and while I was gone lent my kayak to my office mate who has just gotten into duck hunting this fall.  We had a lot of luck with puddle ducks before I left, but after I was gone he also had a great time stalking sea ducks (old squaw, scoter, eider) with my boat and was able to get more than a couple.  He is worried that they're not going to taste good and that he shot them for no good reason, I told him not to worry, we can make anything taste good.  

Anyhow,  I know how to cook tasty puddle ducks, but what about their shellfish eating cousins?  I'm thinking something along the lines of a sea duck chili, but I am open to any suggestions?

RI

thornvalley

A good jerky recipe will work every time. Just grind them, spice/marinade/ect and use a jerky shooter. Cook them until they reach 160 then place in a dehydrator.

Another option is to slow cook them in a crock pot, covered with a couple cans of cheap beer and your favorite spices. Cook on high for a couple hours, then simmer on low for another couple. Toss out the "stew" and "pull" the meat with a fork. Then use the meat like you would any other "pulled" type meat. I use it in tacos, chilli, "hamburger helper", sloppy joes, ect.

If the meat is really fishy smelling, add a tablespoon of instant coffee to the beer. It somehow removes the harsh tastes.

If you really like fishy meat, you can do just about anything with it that you can puddle ducks.

KCShlly
Rececca Gray has a good recipe in Gray's Wild Game Cookbook that I've used with scoters. It is the one with lots of onions, but she must have three or four ways of fixing sea ducks and 'gansers.

RI....An Old Maine recipe for Sea Ducks.....Take 2 Eiders...put them in a lobster cooking pot with 3 gallons of water and one large stone found on the shore...put all in the pot...cook for 6 hours...empty the water,,,throw away the ducks,,,and eat the well cooked rock....enjoy,,,,RM

RI....An Old Maine recipe for Sea Ducks.....Take 2 Eiders...put them in a lobster cooking pot with 3 gallons of water and one large stone found on the shore...put all in the pot...cook for 6 hours...empty the water,,,throw away the ducks,,,and eat the well cooked rock....enjoy,,,,RM

I have the same recipe, but we use a brick :laugh:

Seriously though, there are recipes to make coot palatable. Unfortunately, I don't have them. We used to give ours to a fella' in work that had, I believe, a Vietnamese wife. People who hadd eaten the coot prepared with this recipe said that it wasn't bad. Although, they still didn't say that it was good!

GB Jack
Your in trouble i eat gees enad I think they taste good, while I think sea ducks are trash!@ PERIOD

jmooney
What about brining them ala Provines recipie CD?  Will that deal with the fishy taste?

Graywood

You guys are wimps! :D  Either that or I have deranged taste buds. I fry sea ducks in a pan just like any other duck. Very tasty. Must be the Pine Point blood in me!

Stalking sea ducks in a kyak is great fun!

-Taylor

jmooney
Tis true, we're not cut from the same cloths as you Mainahs.   :D

J.M.
I used to shoot sea ducks and tried a bunch of recipes to see if I could get them to be at least palatable. Never did find a way to make them tolerable. Boil them up and feed them to the dogs, they seemed to enjoy them.

Graywood

I'll even push the envelope further and admit that I like merganser :O ! I have an aunt that appreciates the delicate flavor of sea duck as much as I do. One night I made a sea duck sampler with oldsquaw, surf scoter, eider, and red-breasted merganser. We ate good that night. All kidding aside, I really do like the taste of sea ducks and merganser. It is not something I would want every night, but I do enjoy it. I actually gave quite a few sea duck steaks away to friends and family this fall. Most people say it tastes fishy, well, I like fish, so why not fish-eating ducks? :p

-Taylor

PaFlyfisher
whateverin the hell you do, DO NOT do what Thronvalley says. That is a waste of perfectly good cheap beer.

Rhode Island
Do I get a prize for longest running recipe thread?  We're going on well over a year here  :D

bosco mctavitch
Do I get a prize for longest running recipe thread?  We're going on well over a year here  :D

YES--we all agreed that as a prize, we would all get together and send you our mergansers so you could practice.  PM me your address, and I'll get the first installment out soon...

Rhode Island

I don't make a habit of shooting mergs, but to be honest when I have I've just mixed them with other waterfowl in a stew or chili and never can tell the difference.  I wouldn't try to grill 'em or anything, but I'm not so sure their bad rap as ineddible is entirely justified.

With that said, you can keep your mergansers  :glare:

RI