REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
hossdog

Spicy recipe for game bird finger foods

hossdog

A good one I tried just last night with some chukar from the bird ranch.

Take a bunch of jalepinos and slice them in half removing all of the core and seeds from each half. Then take a small slice of meat (I have tried chicken, pheasant, chukar, steak, and a bunch of other meats) and place it inside the jalepino and then wrap the jalepino half with the meat inside with a slice of bacon and then put a toothpick through it (I use hickory or mesquite splinters instead of toothpicks for the best taste). Then grill it untill the bacon looks good and crispy and the jalepino is cooked. You may have to take a look at one before you remove them all just to make sure the meat is done to your liking. Make sure and turn them often for even cooking. You can also use the oven if you don't have a grill handy.

P.S. If you don't have meat you can use cream cheese to put in the jalepinos and it is like jalepino poppers but 10 times better!

Any time we grill out @ our lake house we make the jap. poppers, great to snack on with a beer while the other meat is cooking.

As far as dove or quail we just slice the japs. in half and core the seeds out and put a half in the cavity of the bird and then wrap the whole thing in bacon and grill. man just thinking about it is making me hungry.