Mt lions

I saw a UFO while camping at the Delaware Water Gap.

This was a very long time ago and my memory is a little hazy. And the crowd I was with and all the recreating..... While, it was probable just my imagination.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PartridgeCartridge

• bobman

• rprovines

PartridgeCartridge
I never saw any mountain lions but I have seen fat chicks get better looking as time progressed at the local bar!

So, you are an experienced cougar hunter I see.

PartridgeCartridge

Those critters are nothing to mess with.

A friend of mine, Cougar Cockburn, has had a few close calls.

He never barhops alone anymore.

cougar-1.jpg

one thing about the lack of photos

I've seen a heck of a lot of critters over the years (including one mountain lion that walked across a road in front of me  probably a florida cougar) and in most of these instances I would not of had the time to take pictures.

predators especially seem to be quick to disappear

I'm not saying lions are in the NE I am just saying few people have a camera at ready although with modern cell phones thats changing somewhat

theres been a lot of times over the last 40 years I wished I had a camera with me when hunting

PartridgeCartridge
And is young Cougar there Alex's friend, too?

Very unlikely. This guy is bright, fit, well spoken and actually likes women.

Alex is still challenged with flossing the wool from his teeth after a hard night on the farm.

I ask because Mr. Cougar Cockburn there kind of reminds me of a another young fella, maybe two, from a photo posted in a rather long thread a while ago.

You might remind your professor of a few things.  First is that in low light conditions it is not unusual for animals to appear black or darker than they really are. What are described as black mountain lions could easily be regular mountain lions in shadow or poor light.  

Second is the question of how many people does he think keep mountain lions as pets and then release them in NY?  I've never met anyone who kept one as a pet, and I doubt that there are all that many private individuals keeping them.  To write off all mountain lion kills and sightings as released animals seems a bit questionable to me.  

Finally, remember that there were no Coyotes in NY thirty years ago either - now they are in Central Park.  Young toms travel hundreds of miles in seeking new territories.  We know they have moved into Nebraska and SD, and apparently MN.  The population is clearly moving eastward and it is only a matter of time as things stand before there are wild mountain lions in NY, if they aren't there already.  

There is no doubt that the majority of urban and suburban residents have little knowledge of the natural world, and are easily capable of confusing house cats and mountain lions.  The question is whether there have been sightings by credible witnesses who do know the difference?

All very good points that should be considered! In terms of low light conditions i agree except i question how many sightings occur in low enough light conditions ( dusk, dawn, ect) that half the accounts can describe a "black panther". Black house cats?

In terms of "how many people does he thinks own lions"- very few. Its Just after all the cases , the very few that produced any sort of lion "evidence" had a likely connection back to a released cat. Almost none of the reports have ever even produced anything of much substance at all. I remember looking at one report of a supposed lion kill up in the mountains that showed lack of claw marks.

The coyote issue is a great point (As well as the bears and moose that have repopulated the state) but if i remember correctly from when we had our discussions last year, the closest cougar to NY was Chicago? A lone young male that had wandered. He said most everyone agrees that cougars are coming back to the east but it will take a long time before the first cats start to show up. Where are the cougars in between NY and the midwest states? Physical proof? Would there be physical evidense between here and there by now? It takes years and years for animals repopulating a region to move. There is alot of populated space inbetween the midwest and NY. The agreed most likely route for cougar repopulation is Canada. Where is the eastern canadian cougar sign?

This is from the DEC Website

So who knows! The evidence points in the contrary but there is a small chance of pioneer males in the state already. My guess though because of the sheer number of reports- lots and lots of misidentifications. Their coming though...

Rick

I never saw any mountain lions but I have seen fat chicks get better looking as time progressed at the local bar!

So, you are an experienced cougar hunter I see.

Oh yes I got experiance with cougars! You can find them down at Pop A Top Tavern every friday and saturday night! AND........they are usually in a standing heat! :D

Get a lot of "black panther" reports here too.  Some may be bears but think most are fisher or marten, more likely fisher.  Have fair numbers of both here....are there still some fisher in the NE?  Remember a reintroduction effort there years ago but haven't kept up with their progress.  In any case, they get mistaken for quite a few things and people often are not all that familiar with them.

Grousebum I have some info you and your class may be interested  in...check your pm's.