why we kill them on sight

Rattlesnake Kills Man

By Chris Camp @ October 13, 2009 10:47

LEXINGTON, Ga. (AP) A Winder man is dead after a rattlesnake bit him during a hunting trip with his family in Oglethorpe County.

Oglethorpe County Coroner James Mathews says 68-year-old Dick Rupert was bit in the calf by the snake as he climbed down from a tree stand in the woods early Saturday morning. He died about an hour later at Wills Memorial Hospital in Washington.

Rupert's 12-year-old grandson performed CPR on the elderly man, but the man was full cardiac arrest when emergency workers arrived.

Rupert is the second person in Georgia to die of a rattlesnake bite this year. A 65-year-old Dothan man died in September after a rattlesnake bit him in the neck.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bosco mctavitch

• bobman

• rprovines

• PartridgeCartridge

bosco mctavitch
A 65-year-old Dothan man died in September after a rattlesnake bit him in the neck.

Functionally speaking, how does this happen??

bosco mctavitch
I think snakes are cool...I suspect that someone who gets bitten in the neck by a snake would have wound up as a Darwin candidate anyway.  I'd never shoot a snake--I dislike rats too much to ever do that.
I heard that the man that was bit in the neck was baling hay and was probably doing some kind of maintenance on the tractor or baler and was bit (lying on the ground cleaning some hay out of the baler,etc.).
I'd never shoot a snake--I dislike rats too much to ever do that.

I wouldn't shoot a harmless snakes but a rattler when I'm with the dogs is fair game.

Dick Rupert lived near me and hes the second person I know of thats been killed by a rattler. We had and neighbor elderly lady that was bitten while gardening. Instead of calling 911 she went in the house to get cleaned up before going to the hospital.

I have no fear of non venomous snakes and never harm them but rattle snakes are just plain dangerous.

When I first moved to the south I didn't understand the shoot on sight mentality my neighbors had but over time I have come to their way of thinking.

Our rattlers will kill a dog or a kid easily, they aren't like the little prairie rattlers that Greg and others see in SD.

I saw one once that stretched completely across a two track road close to 8 feet long.

PartridgeCartridge
I have no fear of non venomous snakes and never harm them but rattle snakes are just plain dangerous.

When I first moved to the south I didn't understand the shoot on sight mentality my neighbors had but over time I have come to their way of thinking.

Our rattlers will kill a dog or a kid easily, they aren't like the little prairie rattlers that Greg and others see in SD.

I understand that sentiment but would suggest that they are not any more dangerous than say, a shark, or other apex predator.

Eastern Diamondbacks are large and potent. No doubt. Some peolple will die from them every year, like shark bite victims or dog bites or lightning strikes.

I am of the belief that they are also central to your southern biosphere's health and also very important to many things. Including bobwhite quail populations.

Ever notice that out west, where rattlers are still common, that they have solid bird populations too?

Makes one wonder if they are not truly complimentary species.

Like porcupines and fishers, and mayflies and trout and grouse and aspen, and such...

Killing them on sight for the wrong reasons may be the very wrongest reason to do it.

Just something to think about.

bosco mctavitch
I am genuinely sorry about your neighbor, and I suppose I can understnad how someone could be bitten when working under a piece of machinery, etc.  However, my own view is simply that it's not my place to kill some critter simply becasue it's dangerous.  Grizzlies are dangerous, and I wouldn't kill them on sight.  Wolves are dangerous, scorpions are dangerous, lots of things are dangerous.  I wouldn't kill any of them on sight.  I don't intend for this post to go south simply becasue I brought up wolves and bears and snakes...I hope it doesn't.  Nevertheless, I don't really buy the argument that they should be shot on sight simply becasue they are dangerous.  Drunk drivers are dangerous, and unpredictable to boot--would you shoot them on sight?

I know many bird hunters who kill porcupines on sight whenever and wherever because their dogs insist on tangling with them. I have gotten smug about not doing this because my dogs ignore them. If they kept getting quilled and hurt and costing me vet money I might kill porkies too.

I have never lived in an area with poisonous snakes so can be smug about not thinking they should be killed. But if I lived amongst them with kids and dogs  I might kill them on sight. Cant say because I don't experience it firsthand.

Sharks can be avoided in normal daily travels and the idea that we are light on our supply of rattlesnakes if not true they are very common and very dangerous and I was'nt just talking about diamondbacks my neighbor was killed by a timber rattler.

The problem is that its not that they are intentionally aggressive (I know they dont hunt people) its that they are almost prehistoric and that brings a certain stupididy about who,what, and why they bite. The darn things are also absolutely invisible unless they are buzzing. You only have to watch one pet die and the logical jump to the possibliity if could be yours or one of your neighbors Kids next to understand where I'm coming from.

Oh and I'm hell on scorpians also those buggers really hurt smash everyone I see. You put a shirt on with one in it and you will to.

I like wolves I dont think there have been any document deaths from them in the US although I could be wrong.

I like snakes but the ones I see in New England are harmless. As a kid I loved to catch black snakes , water snakes , milk snakes ... Kind of cool slithering through your hands . I have never encountered a poisonous snake . I have seen pics on this site with rattlers ''mating'' . Scared the crap out of me . There were snakes everywhere . I would never live near that many poisonous snakes . That being said , I would not kill one unless it threatened my home or my dogs . I agree with PC , that they have a place .
PartridgeCartridge

I'm often amazed by the fact that things like wolves and snakes and spotted owls etc. can elicit such visceral emotions in people, yet the posting of killing cats is somehow acceptable.

Especially given that they have superceded canines as the most popular human companion in our country.

I guess as an intelligent man, Bob, living in snake country, you clearly have a better view than I do. Protecting our loved ones is paramount, no doubt.

Killing on sight, for no reason, strikes me as rash and regrettable.  

Just My Opinion.

Ever notice that out west, where rattlers are still common, that they have solid bird populations too?

So, like, you're saying the birds are there because of the snakes? "Hey, lookit, our snakes are gone, some sumbitch shot them when they weren't shooting at us. Let's go nest over here, there's still snakes there. Yup, us birds cain't s'vive without snakes..."

We got no pizzinous snakes around here other'n the occaisonal Missaugua (sp) rattler, real little barstids, but they're usually around marshes where me and the dogs ain't much. I leave snakes alone. Sometimes I even leave pokies alone. Don't much mess with raccoons or possum while hunting unless they's behavin' oddly. But #$*%&^ feral cats, they call for random acts of killing.