why we kill them on sight

I'm often amazed by the fact that things like wolves and snakes and spotted owls etc. can elicit such visceral emotions in people, yet the posting of killing cats is somehow acceptable.

Especially given that they have superceded canines as the most popular human companion in our country.

I guess as an intelligent man, Bob, living in snake country, you clearly have a better view than I do. Protecting our loved ones is paramount, no doubt.

Killing on sight, for no reason, strikes me as rash and regrettable.  

Just My Opinion.

I felt the same way about it when I lived in Wisconsin.

I dont feel this way about any other animal I dont shoot any kind of predators, raptors, and wouldn't bother a shark either.

I guess the difference is rattlesnakes are just innocent victims in a sense, they aren't really intentionally after people, but when you see what happens if they bite you just decide they need to be dead if they are around where you live.

We have about 9 months of the year where you just dont walk out in the weeds or woods or even across your lawn at night without the possibility of a fatal bite and no matter how remote that possibility is it helps form your opinion in a negative way.

Most other dangerous critters aren't likey to be under the last step on your porch

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bosco mctavitch

• bobman

• rprovines

• PartridgeCartridge

bosco mctavitch

I'd fix my porch first, at the very least.  Maybe if you had a cat you'd have fewer rodents in the neighborhood and there'd be fewer snakes?  

See, that's the real problem--not enough cats!  Need one?  We have a spare...

PartridgeCartridge

Starting to feel like I'm babysitting my boring old senile uncle.

Relax Ron. I'll fedEx you a bag of vipers.

mike campbell
 Drunk drivers are dangerous, and unpredictable to boot--would you shoot them on sight?

Only if they're talking on a cell phone.

Drunk drivers are dangerous, and unpredictable to boot--would you shoot them on sight?

Drunk drivers are dangerous by choice. They will also not be drunk drivers when they sober up.

Rattlesnakes will keep on being dangerous and unpredictable when encountered by humans. It's what they do.

To state it simply, I understand the arguements against killing them, but if given a choice between my conscience or the possibility of one harming my dog, kid or me? Easy decision.

a drunk driver killed my little brother

I have less use for them than rattlesnakes atleast the snakes dont really have a choice what they are

I think that some of you Born Free guys would become snake killers if you had a rattler in front of you with your dogs moving towards it.  I like my dogs more than snakes.

I don't hunt high, rocky ridges early in the season because of rattlers.  

Don't know that I'd kill one unless it was a real threat to my pup.  'Course the jury is out if I'd kill one after a bite.

A killed snake here or there ain't going to put a dent in the population.  I've yet to encounter a rattler, imagine I'd turn the other way and walk, yet I may shoot the buzztail I dunno hopefully I'll never find out.  

Gas on the fire.  Why don't we releases any ticks that we find on our dogs?.. a living creature is a living creature.