• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bosco mctavitch

• bobman

• rprovines

• PartridgeCartridge

Thats funny Rook. I actually do just toss em aside. I gave up killing them years ago. Not for any Zen type live and let live philosophy, just gave up, whats the point? they will always be ther, me killing one wont make any difference. Besides, its funny to watch peoples reaction when you pull one off your pants leg or the dog, walk it over to the door and set him down on the ground and say "there you go little fella".
fuel the fire a little:  If some of you can't justify killing a venomous snake "just because it's dangerous," then say, what if we were killing it for "sport."  Just like we shoot grouse, woodcock, pheasant, partridge, quail, deer, what have you.  Would there be a difference then?  And for the sake of arguement, let's just assume we are skinning the snake and taking home the meat (some actually do; most don't).  Logic would prove that killing something because it is dangerous is more justified than killing something for sport, yes?
I think that some of you Born Free guys would become snake killers if you had a rattler in front of you with your dogs moving towards it.  I like my dogs more than snakes.

It does always seem the guys a 1000 miles away from the snakes, wolves, or Grizz have the most compassion for them.

bosco mctavitch

Redtop, true--easy for me with not much but Garter snakes around to sit in my ivory tower and spout off about it.  However, I have lived and travelled extensively in areas inhabited by all of the above, and I even made a habit of sticking my fingers into places where snakes might like to live...so while it's not nearly the same as living there, I'm not just flying by the seat of my pants.  I'll be the first one to kill a snake, scorpion, or whatever if I think doing so will make the difference between me or my dog or loved ones being hurt--however, as has been pointed out doing so has virtually zero impact on the overall population of the relatively common snakes we are talking about and therefore killing one on sight--when there is no immediate threat--has virtually zero impact on my or my dogs safety.  I also have zero problem if someone wants to kill and eat a snake.  I simply have no desire to go out of my way to kill any critter that isn't an immediate threat to me.  I'd rather spend my time fixing my porch so there's no place for a snake to live there, deal with a rodent problem so there's no reason for many snakes to live there, etc...I'm willing to bet that's more productive in the long run anyway.  

BTW, since when are snakes unpredictable?

P.S.  I wasn't kidding about the cat--get rid of the snake-food and the snakes will vanish.  And yes, I see the irony in this...I don't want to kill some critter but it's ok to get another animal to do it for me.  That's called delegation.  It's more an issue of balance in the food chain, if you get rid of any predator on a wholesale basis you necessarily create other problems with whatever it was eating.  I had a woodchuck in the garden eating all the veges...I killed it.  It was replaced by another within a week, and I killed it too.  Finally I planted a bunch of broccoli down by the treeline and I never saw the sucker again and the garden fared well all summer. Killing the snake that lives under your porch is the same as shooting the groundchuck--it gets replaced by another, and another, and another before long unless you find the root of the issue and fix that.  Addressing only the symptom--the snake--will never solve the problem.

I know when in Idaho and asking permission to hunt on ranches......we were always told to kill any rattlers on sight.........or we would not be granted permission.
I know when in Idaho and asking permission to hunt on ranches......we were always told to kill any rattlers on sight.........or we would not be granted permission.

people that live on a daily basis with them actaully know what they are talking about

yep the cats will keep rattle snakes out of your yards they run off all the sasquatch also, cats are great

I actaully like cats by the way, no kidding, have a stable for my horses with some in it and a house cat still have snakes some are big king snakes, I love them,

some are poisonous I kill them

I hate rattlesnakes.   When hunting/walking through sections of tall grass in the TX Hill Country I get the willies with every step.   A friend has a ranch in south TX and we would shoot on site too.    Rattlesnakes are a real buzzkill.
bosco mctavitch

Ok, you're right, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.  Keep killing the poisonous ones, let us know when there are none left and you feel better about walking around in the tall grass--I'm sure you'll be able to put a dent in the population, I mean for the last 200+ years those jokers just didn't kill enough and that's why there are so many now--then we can all breathe easy knowing the dangerous snake population is in check finally and won't attack us.

Good luck, and for God's sake be careful--they're unpredictable!!

Now dont get mad.... I didn't say clue and look up this thread at the posts by people that live with them they have a common opinion for the most part

all I'm saying walk in our shoes or maybe our snakeboots :D before you judge. And maybe reread the original post about the kid trying to save his grampa

bosco mctavitch

all I'm saying walk in our shoes or maybe our snakeboots

I have.  And I'm not mad, I just don't understand the attitude--not everyone that lives with snakes kills them on site, same as any other predator.

I dont kill any other snakes not even copperheads if they aren't around the house or any other predators.

Everyone I know and I mean everyone, even the ladies around here, kills rattlesnakes on sight.

bosco mctavitch
I dont kill any other snakes not even copperheads if they aren't around the house or any other predators.

Everyone I know and I mean everyone, even the ladies around here, kills rattlesnakes on sight.

Has it worked?

Well after reading this thread, I promise to add rattlers (should I ever have the opportunity) to my meager list of kill-on-sights. So list looks like-

1. Feral cats

2. Pheasant

3. Limb sitting king of the #*$&^ gamebirds, grouse, p'atridges, whatever.

4. Woodchucks

The motion is on the floor to add rattlesnakes to the list. Is there a 2nd to the motion? (Ron seconds the motion)

The revised list now goes to the general voting body for consideration.

After due consideration, all interested party's opinions duly noted and considered, the motion carries forward for voting. All those in favor of this motion to revise the Shoot On Sight list to include 'rattlesnakes, and rattlesnakes only, no other snakey critters to be included such as blue racers, milk snakes, garter snakes, black racers, etc., all those in favor say 'AYE'. Ron says, "Aye." All those opposed say 'Nay'. THere are no nay votes, the motion is carried, the amended list read as follows.

1. Feral cats

2. Pheasant

3. Limb sitting king of the #*$&^ gamebirds, grouse, p'atridges, whatever.

4. Woodchucks

5. Rattlesnakes