why we kill them on sight

Here in south La. I have run into a few EDB over the years and have been lucky enough to be warned in plenty of time. Copperheads are not that agressive and not a big problem avoiding. Cottonmouth Water Mocs are another story. See one-smell one(musty as all get out) and they will come after you as they are very agressive. If none want to believe this just come on down and I will be happy to provide you some entertainment as we have them in abundance. All seen are terminated on the spot. Yes, I have lost dogs to them!
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bosco mctavitch

• bobman

• rprovines

• PartridgeCartridge

steve bernadowicz
Back 'fore we all got too civilized for our own good, we killed anything that was a danger to us, and anything that competed with us for our favorite food sources. I see no reason to change. Old Testament kinda stuff.   steve b
Back 'fore we all got too civilized for our own good, we killed anything that was a danger to us, and anything that competed with us for our favorite food sources. I see no reason to change. Old Testament kinda stuff.   steve b

Oh h*ll yes, what he said.

We got timber rattlers but they generally try to get away and don't cause a great deal of trouble.  If I see them on the road, I try to straddle them.  They're not endangered but they certainly aren't common either.  Copperheads, on the other hand...we have scads of them.  Killed them on the porch, in the basement, in the flowerbed, dog lot, driveway, etc.  I know two different housewives that have encountered them in the house with small children present.  I give them a pass in the remote areas but around the house, they're not going to make it.  I don't want to see a youngun get bit if I can help it.  I know 5 adults that have been bitten in the last few years and it ain't pretty.  All lost tissue and have permanent scarring and nerve damage.  One guy lost the use of his pinkie finger.  He'd been better off to have it amputated rather than saving a useless, painful twisted mess.

I've had nearly every dog get bitten by them which is not too bad.  A little Benadryl and a few days and the swelling and soreness is gone. Rattlers can kill a dog, however.

An old Texas rancher was having a Spring rattlesnake round-up around his place.  Some bleeding heart said, "Why are you killing all these poor snakes?"  His response:  "You want me to wait till they're in the house and kill'em then?" That's my approach to copperheads.