An Education

I have a graduate degree. As does my son and my daughter. My son-in -law in a resident pediatrician.

We have had long discussions about how most of what we all were taught could have been done by way of the internet, DVDs, etc. This would radically lower the cost of education. You get a really good teacher (Teacher, a person who gets the ideas across to others in a way that makes it easy to learn. This is not found in most Phds.) to do the lectures, record them and make them available like I said here. Reduces the number of professors needed, huge class room buildings, etc.

There are things that must be hands on, but a big part of all these degrees can be had this way. This along with access to professors to clear up certain things and the cost could be 50% or lees of what it is now.

It won't happen quickly or easily. Those profs like those jobs, and traditions die hard. There is a Law school on the net put up by a guy who used to teach law at Harvard. He didn't show up in class for over a year before he left. He was told it couldn't be done, but it's working.

I am not just another pretty face:)

Mike

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobman

• Ben Hong

• erik meade

...how most of what we all were taught could have been done by way of the internet, DVDs, etc. This would radically lower the cost of education. ...

OpenCourseWare has been available for some time now.  The only problem is you don't get the certification of having demonstrated you learned something.

Here is the link to the MIT OpenCourseWare - just in case someone has free time for a "Astrodynamics" course or here's one with some relevance to hunting - "GPS: Where Are You?".

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

I must believe that a formal education is worth the money. Otherwise I wouldn't have paid for my kids, my wife and myself to go to college. Those who don't think an education is worthwhile shouldn't waste their money on one.
I must believe that a formal education is worth the money. Otherwise I wouldn't have paid for my kids, my wife and myself to go to college.

Jeeze Mike, we were all duped! Come to think of it, I have never been asked to show my degree or proof of a degree by any prospective employer. Sheesh, I could have put one over on them.