Duck Commander

ThomGordon

Hardcore waterfowlers have a different attitude than most upland hunters.  The Robertsons are not outside the norm.  And frankly, I could give a chit less what the anti's think.  No matter how much you wring your hands and try to make it pretty,  killing birds will never be acceptable to them, so I don't worry about it.  I have no problem with people trying to shoot their limit and I'm not bothered by people who get excited when they do.
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mschaefer

• Tom Avent

• rprovines

This is quite the entertaining show on the Outdoor channel. It follows a reality style format of the Phil Robertson's family. If you've ever entertained the idea of hunting ducks this show will appeal to you. Yes even you Kosmack.

Based on the original post, I have to say that this show doesn't appeal to me in the least--and I hunt waterfowl as much as I hunt upland. I have nothing against the Robertsons, it's just that there is nothing real about these so-called "reality shows." I dislike them all, regardless of the subject matter and won't waste my time. Call me a reality snob.

frugal pointer
On the lighter side, I don't think I would share a blind with them. I would be afraid they might think my mouth is pretty and then tell me to drop my pants and squeal like a pig.

If thats your light side feel free to keep the dark stuff to yourself.  FP

Gary,

I guess I'm just "off the way" then. The Outdoor Channel, Versus, and all of the other outdoor/hunting channels are in business because they have sponsors. I have quit watching all of them for the very reasons I don't care for the Duck Commander. I think ALL or most TV is "dumbed " down these days.

I don't think that the hunting community, the hunting dog community, or the gun community is very well served by any of these channels. There are some exceptions, but most of them do cater to the "whack em and stack em" crowd.

I know that this country has gotten WAY to politically correct, but that is the playing field we are dealing with. Sure, those guys are entertaining in their own sort of way. I'm trying to look at the bigger picture here.

Maybe I'm jaded because I have lived in the Peoples Republic Of Arlington for too long. I know the middle of the country is much differant to where I live because I go there to hunt 2 -3 times per year. However, the population centers revolve around the east and west coasts.

Look at the long term decreases in hunting licenses and tell me if you think that the Duck Commander will help that number. I know this is getting a little heavy for a post about a show for duck hunting, but the earlier post about "upland snobbery" set me off a little. Attitudes like that are going to end of of this.

If anyone doesn't think that the current administration doesn't hear the word hunting and think we all are a bunch of "Duck Commanders" that need to be re-educated into the proper way to spend our time...ie, w/o guns and killing innocent animals, then I have some swamp land in Kansas to sell you.

This thread is a prime example of Upland Snobbery at its finest.  It's nice to know that most of you judge people based on their appearance.  I believe that horrible example, Phil, also pulls his entire family out of the marsh every Sunday morning for church.  Damn him and the poor example he's setting.

http://www.christianchronicle.org/article...._a_duck

Gary, I enjoyed that article.  Thanks for posting the link.  Of course some will still judge the book by its cover, but Mr. Robertson certainly seems like an interesting person.  I'd imagine sharing a duck blind with him would be a hoot.

Well, at least its not the deer hunters getting kicked around this time.

You better shave the beard, trim the hair, and get a manicure, Brad.  Living like a hermit, pretty soon you'll be accused of all kinds of stuff.  And for Gosh sake quit trying to shoot things!  You'll tick off the anti's.

Tom,

I guess that I've always been appreciative of eccentric  

personalities. Just too much vanila in the real world.

But look, the Duck Commander shows are not really about Duck Hunting or how to duck hunt. They are about entertaining duck hunters -- something they do a great job of.

That works for some, and not for others. There's always the remote control channel changer to move onto some Gilligan's Island reruns or something else!  :D

Shouldn't this be in the Waterfowl Forum with the other Duck Commander Topic?
I think this is the perfect place for it.  More widely viewed than the waterfowlers forum and thus able to cause more constipation amongst the hunting elite.

You guys are probably right. It really doesn't matter what we do or look like, the antis just plain don't understand what we do and actually hate us for it.

Gary... I am also attracted to differant personalities. I would probably enjoy meeting the whole group. They could certainly show me a thing or 2 about duck hunting.

BTW...the duck blind reference was to the movie Deliverance. One of the great movies that tends to get overlooked in movie discussions.