ThomGordon

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mschaefer

• Tom Avent

• rprovines

whack em and stack em"  I don't understand why this keeps getting mentioned.. are they taking more then whatever the limit is wherever they are? if not what's the problem?

this show has nothing to do with duck hunting it's an entertainment show!

bet they are making way more money than most of us and having a damn good time doing it!

oh and I'll bet all their truck have multiple headlights that will blind you a mile down the road.

The report of baiting is something that I heard from a friend who hunts with some "industry" folks.  Not something I'm making up, but also not something I have concrete evidence of.  The report and I could both be full of poop.  Now that you know your source..  

I didn't mean my other comments to be derrogatory, just descriptive.  They do present a strong mix of religion and rural tradition..not that there's anything wrong with that!

At the same time, I grasp what Tom Avent is talking about.  It's hard to explain hunting to urbanites when stuff like this when stuff like this is all they have to form their opinions of hunters.  Hunters and other folks "in the circle" appreciate the little slice of crazy they present...to the rest of the population it's probably a bit scary.

Trev

What a bunch of cry babies.  If you don't like to wack and stack, go on a nature walk and stop pretending your hunting.

I love the Robinsons, I'm thinking about finding religion so I can be more like Phil.  I'm already working on the wiskers.

I suspect few 'urbanites'  are watching the outdoor channel let alone this show.  Now what would really scare them and even scares me a little and I know most of these guys or their Dads is stopping into the gas station early morning during gun deer season.. you ain't never seen or smelled anything like it!!

I was hoping there'd be something new or entertaining in this thread.

I have noted that in most posts, you could scratch out duck hunting and substitute deer hunting and the same folks would have made the same posts.

Tommy and Trevor:  Who the $%^& are you?  

I am very surprised to see you two, of all people, swimming against the tide. Regardless of how folks appear, or how concerned you guys are about how you look at your next cocktail function, hunting is what it is and is a lifestyle on many levels. Your 'level' is not better.  Just because you don't like the way they look, or how they express their passion for their sport, claims of 'baiting' (a cheap and unsubstantiated shot from someone who doesn't have any chance of actually knowing besides not being in the 'industry') and 'bad image' are insecurities at best.  

You guys hunt with me for crying out loud!  Gillnetting OK and 'Duck Commander' bad?  Paaaaleeez!

Invite me to your next cocktail function if you need to grow a set. It sure sounds like you guys could use a set (or two).

WTF? What don't you understand about entertainment? Definately not a tuitorial by any stretch of the imagination. This thread brings to mind "He who is without sin cast the first stone". Were all killers, whack-stack, it doesn't matter, you pull the trigger on a bird your in the same boat as Senor Robertson. Cut/Dried!
WTF? What don't you understand about entertainment? Definately not a tuitorial by any stretch of the imagination. This thread brings to mind "He who is without sin cast the first stone". Were all killers, whack-stack, it doesn't matter, you pull the trigger on a bird your in the same boat as Senor Robertson.

No, no, no, it has to have the..what's the #*$&^@ word? The panache of the proper upland hunting experience. That certain look, chaps, lots of waxed canvas, and not the cheap stuff. If done properly it's not killing, it's harvesting I'm told. And far different from the slaughter of a creature, it's poetry set in motion as dog, forest, bird, flush and shot, all coincide in the movement of the universe. You don't stop to admire the deceased quarry, you have to feel akin to it.

When you can acheive that nirvana, then you may sit in judgement.

Tommy and Trevor:  Who the $%^& are you?  

I am very surprised to see you two, of all people, swimming against the tide. Regardless of how folks appear, or how concerned you guys are about how you look at your next cocktail function, hunting is what it is and is a lifestyle on many levels. Your 'level' is not better.  Just because you don't like the way they look, or how theclaims of 'baiting' (a cheap and unsubstantiated shot from someone who doesn't have any chance of actually knowing besides not being in the 'industry') and 'bad image' are insecurities at best.  y express their passion for their sport,

You guys hunt with me for crying out loud!  Gillnetting OK and 'Duck Commander' bad?  Paaaaleeez!

Invite me to your next cocktail function if you need to grow a set. It sure sounds like you guys could use a set (or two).

C'mon man...Don't get your little gillnet in a knot Tommy.  I'm hardly 'against' what those guys do...I could care less really...as long as they are having a good time.

As for the baiting..It's what I heard, and I clearly explained the shallow basis of the statement for the sake of clarity.  It's hearsay...and yeah, OK, it probably shouldn't have come up.  

Just for clarity - again - I didn't say I was against what they do/how they dress/how they act/etc...I only said that I can understand how people who don't do this stuff can get put off by it.  I think that was the point that Tom was making.  Maybe not?  What the @#$^ do I know?

Hell, I have one or two of their videos on semi-permanent loan from my brother.  They're a trip.

Trev

PS - I hope you have a good birthday you gillnetting $#@$&!

if 'they' are watching the Outdoor channel I'm betting they are much more put off by the endless impact shots of deer, elk, etc.. then watching a puff of feathers and a bird crash into the water at a distance. Would love to hear little Tommy asking soccor Mommy what just happened when watching the impact shot through the guys scope.
DennisMcFeely

We all hunt because we enjoy it, many of us in different ways.  Sometimes the selective ethics applied are just funny, other times the hypocrisy is absurd.  Don't like it?  Don't do it.  Don't watch it on TV.  Don't hunt with that guy.

Guess I'm just a heretic with no upland tradition.  :D  We're grown men with shotguns shooting little birds fer chrissake, none of us should take ourselves too seriously other than being safe IMO.  Rant over.

Ron, cue the !@#$%$...

Dennis

No, no, no, it has to have the..what's the #*$&^@ word? The panache of the proper upland hunting experience. That certain look, chaps, lots of waxed canvas, and not the cheap stuff. If done properly it's not killing, it's harvesting I'm told. And far different from the slaughter of a creature, it's poetry set in motion as dog, forest, bird, flush and shot, all coincide in the movement of the universe. You don't stop to admire the deceased quarry, you have to feel akin to it.

When you can acheive that nirvana, then you may sit in judgement.

laughingchimpsmall.gif

I think DC is a hoot.  There is no doubt those boys can hunt ducks, but I imagine some of the other stuff we see on the show is pure TV, i.e. not letting the camera man son off for the birth of his son.  It is a reality show after all.

I grew up hunting ducks on the Misissippi in Iowa. in my view river rat duck hunters are a different breed,  whether they are southern or northern.

in my view river rat duck hunters are a different breed,  whether they are southern or northern.

Yep. Cant argue with that. Course what do I know? I'm just a dumb ol redneck, fourth generation river rat, who'd would feel much more at home in a duck blind with the Robertsons, than I would "Pa'tridge Hunting" with some of you Upland Tradition boys.

me_duck_hunting.jpg

One of these days I'll have a beard as cool as Phil's.

BTW, the man's got a Masters Degree, and does a ton of charity and ministry work. You moonshine/deliverance hillbilly haters might want to engage your brain before your mouth (keyboard actually) next time.