Duck Commander

ThomGordon

I bought one of their videos a few years ago and hated it. I had the same closed minded view that some here have shared. The t.v. show has completely changed my view of them. I wasn't expecting much when I first saw the show on t.v. but now it's a family favorite. It's by far the most entertaining hunting show around. Ironically the show isn't about the hunting so much as the day to day work and family life behind it.

I for one think there is a place in hunting for the tweed wearing English gentleman as well as the scruffy swamp rat from Louisiana and everything inbetween.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mschaefer

• Tom Avent

• rprovines

I for one think there is a place in hunting for the tweed wearing English gentleman as well as the scruffy swamp rat from Louisiana and everything inbetween.

I can't agree more.  Whatever floats your boat.

in my view river rat duck hunters are a different breed,  whether they are southern or northern.

me_duck_hunting.jpg

BTW, the man's got a Masters Degree, and does a ton of charity and ministry work. You moonshine/deliverance hillbilly haters might want to engage your brain before your mouth (keyboard actually) next time.

No way.

TV, you been ministerin' to the spiritual needs of them migrants again?

This thread is so typical of what's going to end hunting all together. When we, as hunters, start to judge the methods of other hunters, rather than sticking together we're weakening our position against those who'd like to stop us.

If you don't like it, don't do it. If it's legal, it's legal. There's nothinf wrong with shooting for volume, so long as it falls within the law. If you don't like it, don't do it.

I'd bet this thread has done more damage to the sport of hunting, all hunting, than the TV program. The anti's would rather read these threads, and find ways to devide us, than watch the Duck Commanders.

Now I think I'll put on some tweed, and go duck hunting.

Tom,

At the risk of pissing you off.....you need to learn to read. My initial complaint about the Duck Commander (and all the other shows like his) it is the "whack em and stack em" attitude they convey. I COULDN'T CARE LESS WHAT SOMEONE LOOKS LIKE. For that matter, I don't care if someone chooses to be an outlaw in their own hunting practices, just don't put it on the public airwaves to give the antis any more ammunition than they already have.

This thread was a little "tongue and cheek" until someone had to mention "snobbery" and that is when I got my back up. The hunting community needs to stay united and not start fighting from within. That is exactly what will spell our doom.

BTW...I don't care, the DC and his group are a little extreme. It's just common sense not to bring too much negative attention to yourself. Come on...!

One other point, then you will not hear from me again. I did recant several posts ago, so please learn to read.

Initially,I also just said that I didn't prefer the DC show because of a variety of reasons. I also made the point that this might give the antis and the general public the wrong idea. I NEVER called anyone a name or passed a judgement on their persons or method of hunting. I questioned the wisdom of putting it on the air. However, it seems that I am fair game for everyone to pass judgement on me.

It is a shame, this should have been a healthy discussion.  

Common sense has left the building.

Just for the record, based on all the deliverance comments, and what not.  I still consider it snobbery.  And they do teach us midwest hicks how to read.   :D
Tom Avent - On the lighter side, I don't think I would share a blind with them. I would be afraid they might think my mouth is pretty and then tell me to drop my pants and squeal like a pig.

Seriously....I don't give a **** one way or the other. And honestly, I'm sure the Robertsons don't need anyone on UJ to stick up for them.

What does minimally annoy me is when folks write inflammatory **** and then cry foul when others get defensive. If you are going to call a guy (that many people obviously respect and enjoy) a sodomizing, inbreed redneck (yeah, I know it was a joke, and I know the movie), don't be surprised (and don't play the innocent) if you become "fair game".

frugal pointer

My Dad had a sign in his office that read:

"Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear"

mouth in gear...fingers to keyboard...yup.

Spot on TV.  FP

"whack em and stack em" attitude they convey

I still dont understand.. are they shooting more then they are allowed to shoot? If the limit is X number of ducks do I shoot 1/2 of X so I ain't stack em them? On the rare occasion that I have went duck hunting I would have gladly shot the limit if I could have. Same with Phez if I could limit I would but living in central Ohio that ain't going to happen. So, you guys that have the pictures of Phez lined up across your tail-gate with dog and gun aren't whack en & stack em?

drummer's stump

"whack em and stack em" attitude they convey

I still dont understand.. are they shooting more then they are allowed to shoot? If the limit is X number of ducks do I shoot 1/2 of X so I ain't stack em them? On the rare occasion that I have went duck hunting I would have gladly shot the limit if I could have. Same with Phez if I could limit I would but living in central Ohio that ain't going to happen. So, you guys that have the pictures of Phez lined up across your tail-gate with dog and gun aren't whack en & stack em?

yep I don't it get either, I hunt to put birds in the bag and the day that I don't want to fill the bag is the day I take up basket weaving. I would hate hear what you guys would have to say about hide hunting/trapping. I like to hunt hide's and I like to get as many as I can, is there something wrong with not in my opinion.  As far as the anti are concerned piss on them, if something ever happens were the power goes out and you just can't run to the store. we will see what they have to say then

This thread is so typical of what's going to end hunting all together. When we, as hunters, start to judge the methods of other hunters, rather than sticking together we're weakening our position against those who'd like to stop us.

If you don't like it, don't do it. If it's legal, it's legal. There's nothinf wrong with shooting for volume, so long as it falls within the law. If you don't like it, don't do it.

I'd bet this thread has done more damage to the sport of hunting, all hunting, than the TV program. The anti's would rather read these threads, and find ways to devide us, than watch the Duck Commanders.

Now I think I'll put on some tweed, and go duck hunting.

Well said.

I was hoping there'd be something new or entertaining in this thread.

I have noted that in most posts, you could scratch out duck hunting and substitute deer hunting and the same folks would have made the same posts.

Not true, not true at all.

I've never posted anything about deer hunting.