Tree stand safety

Matt Crawford

Matt Crawford
I'm not a big treestand guy, but for this muzzleloader season I'm putting my 17 y.o. son up in a tree. Any tricks or tips to keep himn safe? Is there a good belay system I could click him in as he climbs? I've got a harness for when he's up there, but, man, it makes me nervous.
PartridgeCartridge

I can't help you with a "safety system" other than a good harness.

But as a father, I would remind you, that, after slip and falls, treestand injuries rank No. 2 in debilitatating injuries in all hunting accidents nationwide.

Proceed carefully and give your son the best gear you can afford. Better yet, drag him up a tree eight feet and throw him out so he gets the gist of what a twenty foot fall might feel like.

Tends to make them think twice about dozing off in the dark on a cold winter morning.

JMO

I would get him in the habit of using the safety strap starting at the ground(many people don't).Make sure the bottom of the stand is tied to the top(assuming your using a climber)a rope on both sides is best.Once up to the desired height add some cinch straps around the tree and to the top part of the climber so it can't fall down or wobble.Keep the top part at least thigh level when standing. I like to lower the seat about 8" so I sit down in.Pull the gun and pack up after you are setup.I will use a cord for each. One real safe way to climb is to put a rope in the tree ahead of time and borrow an ascender from somebody (say like Dave). I will be spending the day in my climber tomorrow.Good luck..

Link to sport climber safety belt

Matt I've been using this one for about 20 years, two years ago it saved me from a bad fall. This is a climbing belt ONLY he should still harness in once he is up the tree in position in the stand, make sure he understands he must harness in before he takes this one off.

Its real easy to use with a little practice. I'm fat and 58 and can use it with no problem. He needs to understand it goes on before the saftey harness you hunt in comes off, when he decides to come back down.

You can't use it for a safety belt while in the stand because the buckle makes too much noise for hunting, but its a fine product and easy to use while going up and down the tree.

tree hopper climbing belt link

this is another one I've been thinking about buying so I can compare it to the sportclimber climbing belt I have been using. I have no experience with this one but it looks good.

I do a lot of deer hunting and would never climb, even in a climbing stand, without a climbing belt it can save your life.

I used to hunt all the time out of climbers. Always had Summit brand with the full wrap around bar and a full chest harness I was comfortable enough in it that I would fall asleep.  I figure that I am older now and dont want to spend time in trees any more so I got a ground blind.  I have to say it is so much nicer in a ground blind then up a tree.  With the blind tucked in to low pines it is hard to see and nothing sees into it I have a nice comfortable chair it blocks the wind and it is easy to move around in.

No more trees for me :D

I use Hunter Safety System products; harness vest, quick connect, lineman's rope (when hanging stands), and the life line.

The life line would give him something to attach to when climbing up the stand.

I NEVER - let me say that again - I NEVER climb into a stand without my harness on and attached from the ground to the platform. My 9 yr old shared a two man ladder stand with me this weekend. He has the youth model harness. I'm teaching him from the get go to do it right.

I lost a friend several years ago do to a treestand fall. I made a promise to myself to never go up without one.

Here's a link to Hunters Safety System:

http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/

Almost Heaven GSP's
If your not already set on the climber Matt, I'd think a ladder stand to be one heck of a lot safer. Still need a harness, but just a thought.
PartridgeCartridge

One more little tidbit. There is a guy that lives near me that fell out of his stand getting in it. It was about 3:00 in the afternoon.

One of his screw in tree steps broke his fall. Problem was that it snagged him in the groin and hooked right into his scrotum.

He hung by the balls almost 12 hours before emergency services were able to extract him from the tree. Lost his sack and his eggs to traumatic tissue damage.

There's worse things that can happen than a broken arm.

FWIW

Matt Crawford

I've asked Bosco if he's got any climbing gear I can use.

We have a small climbing stick ladder up there. I'd like to belay him up and then he can hook himself in with a harness when he's there.

If you want to teach your kid to hate deer hunting, I would think

sitting in a tree stand through a few December sunrises and sunsets might do it.

Matt Crawford

No other way to do it where we are, Lee.

He spent much of the rifle season in a ladder stand (real safe). But that stand won't work where we ML hunt.

Plus, it's only 40 acres, a helluva bird cover, but it's full of deer.

Matt Crawford

I hope he gets one, too. Lee.

Or I hope he freezes his ass of and he realizes how boring deer hunting can be and that he'd rather bird hunt. Then, if things go right, he (and by extension, me) will be into bird dogs for the rest of his life.

One more little tidbit. There is a guy that lives near me that fell out of his stand getting in it. It was about 3:00 in the afternoon.

One of his screw in tree steps broke his fall. Problem was that it snagged him in the groin and hooked right into his scrotum.

He hung by the balls almost 12 hours before emergency services were able to extract him from the tree. Lost his sack and his eggs to traumatic tissue damage.

There's worse things that can happen than a broken arm.

FWIW

He must of had a hell of a "set" if "they" held him up for 12 hours :D  

If you had to lose a arm or the "boys" which would you choose?