Sign in to follow this  
sxsneubaum

What does F.O.B. mill mean

sxsneubaum

I know somebody on UJ has to know what this means.  What does F.O.B. mill mean concerning log purchases?

What does $ per m bd. ft mean as well?  I am assuming price for measured board foot, but want to be sure.

Roost em 1st

Board foot is 1"x12"x12".

FOB means that is the price at the mill. Freight to your door is not included.

Rex Hoppie

I have heard FOB is Freight On Board at the source,  Possesion has change to you at that time, it is your baby and you and the shipper are responsible for shipping it to your location.

m bd ft? million board feet or 1000 board feet?

bobman
I have heard FOB is Freight On Board at the source,  Possesion has change to you at that time, and you and the shipper are responsible for shipping it to your location.

m bd ft? million board feet or 1000 board feet.

re the FOB

Rex is correct

once its on the truck its yours and the shipper (mill in this case) has no liability if something happens to it during shipment. If its lost stolen or damaged its between you and the truck line.

Its a standard terms of shipment for most products I wouldn't be concerned about it.

I cant answer the board feet question

Ben Hong

FOB Mill means what Rex said, that as soon as the goods are loaded onto the truck, and the bill of lading is handed over to you (or your agent/trucker), you own the goods along with all the responsibilities that it entails, trucking costs, insurance costs, border clearance, customs where necessary,etc.

$ per m bd ft means cost per thousand board feet, but if it is a capital "M" then it would be a million board feet.

Btw, FOB = Free on Board. For full definitions of all trade and shipping terms Google: INCOTERMS, that manual was my bible for all of my working life.

Chris Raymond
FOB Mill means what Rex said, that as soon as the goods are loaded onto the truck, and the bill of lading is handed over to you (or your agent/trucker), you own the goods along with all the responsibilities that it entails, trucking costs, insurance costs, border clearance, customs where necessary,etc.

$ per m bd ft means cost per thousand board feet, but if it is a capital "M" then it would be a million board feet.

Ben's nailed it.

sxsneubaum
So how about the $ per m. bd ft.  It is a small m.  How do you measure 1000 board ft?

12ette

Definition: Hardwoods in North America are measured by board-foot. Simply stated, this is a cubic measurement derived by multiplying the length, width and height of a piece of stock. One board-foot is equal to 12-inches each on each side or 144 cubic-inches.

Therefore, a 96" board that is 2 inches thick and 6 inches wide is equal to 8 board-feet (determined by multiplying 2 x 6 x 96, and dividing the sum by 144).

Also Known As: board-feet

erik meade
It would help if we knew what you are up to,  are you buying lumber? (easy to measure)  selling logs?   Paying to have logs sawn?  Are you wanting to measure logs to know how many board feet are in it.   Are you wanting to know how many board feet of lumber you will get out of it?   Or are you just wanting to measure a pile of sawn lumber?

Wingman
edit: never mind, didn't read all of Ben's post, so I was going to tell you what mbdft meant, heh.

chickenhunterbob
M B F is a thousand, MMBF is a million (or a thousand thousand) board feet.

erik meade

Ben's nailed it.

I disagree.  At least here in Illinois the "M" is typically capitalized and means thousand.  At least when it comes to selling logs.  

F.O.B. is the price you would be paid if you dropped the logs off at the Mill...  

Here is a tree value estimator calculator.  

http://www.timberbuyer.net/treevalue.htm

Here is a decent primer on various log measurement methods.  Around here they seem to use the Doyle method

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-085/420-085.html

Ben Hong

If we are talking large units of wood/lumber then the term cunits (watch your spelling!!) may come into play.

bigjohnsd

If we are talking large units of wood/lumber then the term cunits (watch your spelling!!) may come into play.

As in "Never met a Cunit i didn't like?" :devil:

Ralph Ford
The 'M' in board foot calculations refers to the Roman numeral,   M =1000