REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
rprovines

Isn't it about time?

topdog1961

BTW, hell of a party if your still hungover at 830 trhe next night.

It was.  And I am out of practice.  I enjoy a beer or two often, but have not drank much in quite a while.  My cardio doc said one or two a day likely is helpful, just do not save them all up for Saturday night.  But we hired a bunch of new college grads this year, and some of us "old timers" had to put them in their place.  Problem is, their 20 something bodies recovered quickly the next day.  But my abused old body still was not feeling, or thinking, well at 8:30 last night.

As for the dramamine, I discovered that if I take one before a long flight, then have one beer in the airport lounge before take off, it knocks me out cold for the duration of a long flight.  If I took two on Saturday night, on top of what I drank, I could still be sleeping.

Excuse me for straying from the thread.

quailguy

The wiley ruffed grouse??????

http://www.google.com/imgres?....rl=http

Meet Gomer! This is Rocky's pet grouse. Normally a skittish wild bird of the forest, for over a year Rocky has been feeding Gomer bird seed. In fact, Gomer has so many fans that when the Rock has been in the hospital, he has been fed by Rocky's men friends. I've even thrown out a handful of seed now and then. It all started in March 2008 when one day Gomer wouldn't get out of the way and blocked the path of Rocky's truck. Rock finally got around the bird, came home and took back bird seed and has been handfeeding Gomer ever since. He evidently has imprinted on trucks, and sometimes cars, and actually will chase us down the road if he's hungry and we don't stop. He has ambushed at least two of us, me in my car and our friend, Jack, in his truck, by flying down at us from the trees. He flew across my windshield, barely missing it, and actually landed in the bed of Jack's truck. This is the time of year for Gomer to mate; that's why his feathers are puffed out around his neck (giving him his name of Ruffed Grouse) and his tail is nicely spread . He is ideally camouflauged as you can see from the above photo as he blends in with the leaf litter which mulches the forest floor. We haven't seen a female grouse around, so I hope he gets lucky soon. We haven't heard him drumming, either, which is what grouse do to attract a female by jumping up on a hollow log and flapping their wings so that the log vibrates and makes a drumming sound. Maybe Gomer needs to do a little more drumming.

Just sayin'

topdog1961

:D  :D  :D

Reminds me of a well know rooster pheasant we had around here.  He hung out in a woods adjacent to a rural 4 way stop.  For at least 2 seasons, if you pulled up to the stop during what must have been breeding season and sat for more than a few seconds, this big rooster would run out of the woods, strut and pose in a threatening posture, and stare you down from a few feet away.  As you drove off, he took off after you, and he was fast, as kings are known to be.  Not sure what happened to him, but likely his "cockiness" got the better of him.  At least he came out looking to kick your arse, not looking for a handout.

Similar story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/gloucestershire/4973802.stm

mschaefer
Reminds me of a well know rooster pheasant we had around here.  He hung out in a woods adjacent to a rural 4 way stop.  For at least 2 seasons, if you pulled up to the stop during what must have been breeding season and sat for more than a few seconds, this big rooster would run out of the woods, strut and pose in a threatening posture, and stare you down from a few feet away.  As you drove off, he took off after you, and he was fast, as kings are known to be.  Not sure what happened to him, but likely his "cockiness" got the better of him.  At least he came out looking to kick your arse, not looking for a handout.

This is why Phez are king and grouse suk   :D

mschaefer
I just feel sorry for those who are closed minded and think one species is best, and don't even try different species.

You can't really believe that anyone takes this sh!t seriously do you? Wait, Marty does, but he is one of those closed mind types you refer to who won't try grouse hunting even after several invites!

I like other species.  I love hun hunting when their numbers are up around here, and I think I'd enjoy hunting quail.  I plan to hunt grouse next year, but I have to buy a new .22 and get it sighted in first.   :D

I think everyone should make it a goal to hunt a bird species you've never hunted before in the coming year. I know what mine will be...

Steelheadfred
Brad is funny right now  :p

wkburns
I think everyone should make it a goal to hunt a bird species you've never hunted before in the coming year. I know what mine will be...

Agreed! This year I hunted Ruffs. Very fun experience. If all goes well I will hunt Bobwhite yet. Next year I have Sage Grouse and Prairie Chicken on my list.

nickwilliams
Ron, can you get your dogs to jump through hoops for you?

quailguy

Okey dokey, a new improved picture banner!!!

Excellent, now where is that picture of gentleman Bob, the actual king of gamebirds????

Haven't seen the boobs either.  :D