why buy the cow

drummer's stump

Well guys I guess I feel sorry for you or maybe I should feel sorry for your wives. I have been with the LOML for almost 20 years. We are happier every day than the day before. I really have to be careful that I don't take advantage of her generosity and cooperative spirit. I hunt when I want to, fish when I want to and buy guns as I see fit. She can't imagine life without Brittany Spaniels or a reloading bench in the family room. She trusts me not to blow the budget on man toys, nor to run around on her and I can't imagine life without her by my side. I was single into my 30's and having had the freedom of bachelorhood would never go back. God blessed me beyond anything I deserved.

mart

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• PartridgeCartridge

• Hunshatt

I've been married for 31 years, 32 in February.  Those of you that know me know that she puts up with alot, but then so do I.  I guess that's the secret to a long marriage and a mostly happy one.

I've hunted 40 some days this year and not heard bitch one,  When I wanted to go to Scarborough in July there was no bitch.  I have two dogs in the house which complicates her life more than mine, no real complaints.

Two kids, 20 years in the Navy, 12 deployments for periods of from 6 to 9 months at a whack.  

I try to hold up my end but generally don't suceed.  Still she tolerates me.  

There have been some bumps along the way but by and large I'd have to say I'm happy.  Hope the rest are/have been as lucky as I have.

There has been a lot of hilarity in this thread.  I've read the "I'm the luckiest man alive to be married" comments and consider them as unlikely as the "I'm the luckiest man alive to be single" threads.  Perhaps for a few rare individuals those comments can be true, but it sounds suspiciously like they are trying to convince themselves its true.  

Marriage is at times fabulous, others difficult.  Regardless, you only get one ride on this merry-go-round that we call life.  Its your decision to reach out for the brass ring or not.  You get one shot at life, I say grab it and shake the hell out of it.  That means wife, kids the whole shebang.  

Kahlil Gibran said it best:

"You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.

You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days.

Ay, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.

But let there be spaces in your togetherness,

And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love:

Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf

Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,

Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.

And stand together yet not too near together:

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,

And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow."

"When love beckons to you, follow him,

Though his ways are hard and steep.

And when his wings enfold you yield to him,

Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.

And when he speaks to you believe in him,

Though his voice may shatter your dreams

as the north wind lays waste the garden.

For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.

Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,

So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.

Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.

He threshes you to make you naked.

He sifts you to free you from your husks.

He grinds you to whiteness.

He kneads you until you are pliant;

And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast.

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart, and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart.

But if in your fear you would seek only love's peace and love's pleasure,

Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love's threshing-floor,

Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears.

Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.

Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;

For love is sufficient unto love.

When you love you should not say, "God is in my heart," but rather, "I am in the heart of God."

And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.

But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:

To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.

To know the pain of too much tenderness.

To be wounded by your own understanding of love;

And to bleed willingly and joyfully.

To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;

To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy;

To return home at eventide with gratitude;

And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips."

Rob.

Married life was not good for me.

My wife was a good woman, but wanted me to act like the surgery fellows that work for her- she roars and they jump, when roared at i get instantly hard hearted and stone faced-" When you are ready to treat me as an equal we will talk" as i walk away.

My ex would cook any game, birds, or fish i brought home.  But thought it especially unfair i hunted more than a Sat or Sunday a week.

Milk, what was that..... three year dry spell....

BUT, she is a great mother to our kids, and still we dont have a set schedule for custody, we just talk at the weekend to see which days and nights work..... means we still see our girls almost every day.  

No longer being married means i lost my house, my office building, my Humvee, a couple motorcycles, a 50% share of a house on the beach in Maui.......

Ex's friends didnt like me, i am too much a "GUY".  Would rather drive the truck or humvee or ride the hardtailed chop rather than drive the MB.  I showed up at too many hospital or company parties in jeans and cowboy boots.  they could never grasp the thought of the "guy" in the humvee with season subscriptions to opera and ballet in LA and San Francisco. Or the thought of stopping on the way home from the LA opera to hunt or fish on same trip.

Single life is interesting!  Currently dating a few women that are too good looking to date this grey haired, overweight old guy

1. a Model from LA.

2. a State cop.

3. a flight nurse

4. a Chef at a ritzy spot.

But, all are at least 15 yrs younger than i am, one is half my age and another is only one year of that.

1. Wants 4 kids.....in 10 years, can't cook, and to make even better she is a Vegan and a Peta member. 24 yrs old.

2.  Can't cook.  Has 4 kids, and is a vegan. 32 yrs old

3.  Can't cook.  Wants No kids( i have 2).  A Carnivore!, shots sporting clays and hunts.  25 yrs old

4.  Makes ambrosia!.  Wants 4 kids of her own NOW. 33 yrs old

But at 48 i am unwilling to deal with the little girl issues...... the benifits are wonderful but wow.

Would i do it again, dont know.  My life would be much easier if i learned the following statements:  "Yes Dear". "Anything you want dear".  "Im sorry"( when actually having NO clue what my transgression was).  and "I love you" when i want to call her names ( NEVER have Never will- may think them but will never say them.)  But i have one major flaw, i can't dont have a very big brain, standard comment is "All brawn no brain", even had the VP of Education/PhD at the university make a joke about Brawn vs Brains last week when she came to discuss my load next semester and caught me moving my own office.

So, if i could find a partner that i was completely compatable with, then yes marriage would be great, until then i keep playing.

Single life is interesting!  Currently dating a few women that are too good looking to date this grey haired, overweight old guy

1. a Model from LA.

2. a State cop.

3. a flight nurse

1. Wants 4 kids.....in 10 years, can't cook, and to make even better she is a Vegan and a Peta member. 24 yrs old.

3.  Can't cook.  Wants No kids( i have 2).  A Carnivore!, shots sporting clays and hunts.  25 yrs old

Where's the question here? Number 3 and a house near a Cracker Barrel....

:D

I think the true test is whether the manly men here would be comfortable having their wives read this entire thread. I'd let her, and even read a few of the funniest replies to her. She laughed. And she put dirty magazines in my XMas stocking. Just lucky I guess, sometimes.
pa'tridge hunters
I think the true test is whether the manly men here would be comfortable having their wives read this entire thread. I'd let her, and even read a few of the funniest replies to her. She laughed. And she put dirty magazines in my XMas stocking. Just lucky I guess, sometimes.

But she hid your glasses... :D

drummer's stump

I let her read it, she has a great sense of humor, and takes everything in stride.

I let her read it, she has a great sense of humor, and takes everything in stride.

Well there you go. Congratulations. You two will do well. Guaranteed.

There has been a lot of hilarity in this thread.  I've read the "I'm the luckiest man alive to be married" comments and consider them as unlikely as the "I'm the luckiest man alive to be single" threads.  Perhaps for a few rare individuals those comments can be true, but it sounds suspiciously like they are trying to convince themselves its true.  

I take it I am one of those you mention above. I never said anything about being perfect, I just believe there is no reason to be married to someone who nags all the time. I have a lot married friends that are just plain miserable even though they have the "American Dream" of 3 kids, a big house and a dog. They can't stand spending time with their wives due to constant nit picking and nagging. The older they get though, the more they give up and become accepting of their situation. To me it is sad. Marriage has nothing to do with being perfect, but rather IMO of being with someone that respects who you are and what you enjoy and vice versa. Everyone deserves time to enjoy life, not all of it should feel like a burden.

1. a Model from LA.

2. a State cop.

3. a flight nurse

Where's the question here? Number 3 and a house near a Cracker Barrel....

:D

Yup, number 3 is a definite winner!  Plus, it sounds as if you can afford to eat out every night!

I actually know of a few true "I'm the luckiest man alive" marriages, and I know equally well that my own was the "I'm just lucky to be alive" kind.  I married a basically good person, but good people don't always make good marriages.  

Take a good long objective look at any potential spouse.  If you see any sign of instability, any clue to past events that will lead to future troubles, its best to steer away.  Most things of that type are too deeply ingrained to change.  (That's true of men that are bird hunters, wouldn't you all agree?)

I saw the signs of a troubled person but was too young, stupid, inexperienced, and far too in love to recognize them for what they were.  I went in with my eyes wide open, but that doesn't mean I was seeing things properly.  She was the love of my life, of that there is no doubt, but that doesn't mean I want to live with her anymore.

A year out of the divorce I started dating a single mom; schoolteacher, smart, pretty, funny, and desperate to find a father for her son.  That last one was a deal breaker and I told her so.  Ever since then, I date only the ones that are  not eager to jump back in the fire.

Well I have been married for thiry three years, two kids that she basically raised on her own cuz I was hunting or fishing most of the time.

Out of that 33 years she figures I have been gainfully employed about half the time.

We were at a Gordon club function and Cindy was chatting with one of the long time members and happened to mention we had been married for over thirty years. The gal she was talking to seemed greatly impressed and wanted to know the secret Cindy said " No secret at all I just didnt think he would live this long"

My life could hardly get any better, hunt when I want fish when I want. If I feel like a new gun or vehicle it magically appears. But you gotta get the right woman.SDGORD

Grouse Gunner

Being 24, I haven't had the slightest temptation to purchase the cow. I don't know at this point in my life if I ever want to, but I'm relatively young and these could change.

That being said, one thing I don't mind about not purchasing the cow is the cougars that "prey" on me from time to time... :laugh:

That being said, one thing I don't mind about not purchasing the cow is the cougars that "prey" on me from time to time... :laugh:

Please be kind enough to share details from time to time, so that those more aged and less fortunate than yourself might be able to relive our younger years vicariously through you...

Incidentally, they weren't known as "cougars" back in the day.