drummer's stump

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• PartridgeCartridge

• Hunshatt

Was young and inexperienced.....bought a cow anyway......it worked out alright for a while.

After a few years the cow realized she wanted to to be on an organic farm.

Over the same time I found that I actually wanted a different type of cow. Not that there was anything wrong with the first cow........milk was OK but wanted to change from a holstein to a jersey.......I still wanted a cow........just one that fit better.

Opened up the gate.......cow left to find different pasture.

Found new cow and she is more like what I wanted in the first place.

First cow found the pasture she wanted and everyone gets happier.

Still visit and see first cow......although getting milk from that cow is not allowed anymore.

Had a cow, This cow didn't produce must milk and  only stayed in the pasture for 4 years. Apparently the pasture down the road had more feed.  Got a new cow 5 years later seems to produce milk as needed, but cow is older than farmer and more set in her ways, but has stayed in teh farmers pastyre for almost 5 years.

Doesn't seem to like the frequent hunting trips, with other farmers.

Not sure this one  will be around much more.

"Kahlil Gibran said it best:"

KG also said- "A man who smokes Kif in the morning is as strong as a thousand camels in the courtyard".   :D

Grouse Gunner

That being said, one thing I don't mind about not purchasing the cow is the cougars that "prey" on me from time to time... :laugh:

Please be kind enough to share details from time to time, so that those more aged and less fortunate than yourself might be able to relive our younger years vicariously through you...

Incidentally, they weren't known as "cougars" back in the day.

Not a problem. Although the Eastern Cougar is said to be extint, I know for a fact that a subspecies exists around the Washington DC metropolitan area. I will make an attempt to catch a few of these not so elusive creatures on my camera next time I'm out hunting just so I can prove it.

If I emailed the eastern puma research project a photo of one of these creatures with the title of "Photo Proof of Cougars in Virginia" do you think they would get upset when they opened the photo?

Not a problem, although the Eastern Cougar is said to be extint, I know for a fact that a subspecies exists around the Washington DC metropolitan area. I will make an attempt at catching a few with my camera next time I'm out hunting to prove it..

May the force be with you young Skywalker.

Not a problem, although the Eastern Cougar is said to be extint, I know for a fact that a subspecies exists around the Washington DC metropolitan area. I will make an attempt at catching a few with my camera next time I'm out hunting to prove it..

Careful, one of those could be my daughter.  Although I think she has her claws dug in and has turned into a cow.

Grouse Gunner
Careful, one of those could be my daughter.  Although I think she has her claws dug in and has turned into a cow.

I will make sure to ask if she owns two basset hounds. If she says yes, I'll make sure to tell her that her father says hello and politely excuse myself from the conversation!

One of the basic keys to marital bliss -- always bear your part of the domestic load, in good cheer, with no whining.

Observe, grasshoppers:

pickedgeese.jpg

Now, I had to spend hours scouting those bad boys, got up before the crack of noon, hauled the decoys, tooted on the goose horn, waited patiently in the cold, and shot skillfully (more or less).  And all of this with nary a complaint.  

And yes, once she has all the prime down picked/stored, and the breast filets, legs, and wings boned out -- I'm gonna have to slice and cure jerky strips, run the smoker, and season and grind the sausage so she can get it packaged up and frozen.  But I'll do it with no whining whatsoever!!

I will make sure to ask if she owns two basset hounds. If she says yes, I'll make sure to tell her that her father says hello and politely excuse myself from the conversation!

GG, she'll be more then happy if you buy her a drink during the conversation; she likes micro-brews the best.  Daddy doesnt watch over her shoulder since she turned 18, but he does like to snicker occasionally when she tells me stories about 1 to many drinks.

Is it hard to limit oneself to a single cow after playing in a herd of cows while young? Serious question. Seems like there would always be the potential to find another cow....

(I'll give it 2 hours until Tim ruins this post.)

Is it hard to limit oneself to a single cow after playing in a herd of cows while young? Serious question. Seems like there would always be the potential to find another cow....

(I'll give it 2 hours until Tim ruins this post.)

No.

But one should at least discuss the potential single "cow"s" your word not mine, reasons for smiling while walking down the aisle in advance of said walk!  

If said cow is smiling in advance of things she no longer feels inclined to do for the Bull then one might want to at least discuss the matter in advance.

It is somewhat imperative to sample many cows before settling with one.  Ones sampling should be complete before settling.  Cow sampling afterwards has been known and proven to be quite expen$ive!

Nah. I went through plenty of cows in my day, especially when you consider the big, lazy steer that I am, but now I have eyes only for my sole cow on pasture.

Back my wild steer days I milked all sorts of cows, even a couple that didn't mind a cow of their own from time to time, but after seeing what was at the Cattle Auction of life I'm happy with the one that ended up in my pasture.

In fact, I think my only complaint is the amount of milk this one puts out. I mean heck, when I was 19 years old I could milk a cow on demand, 6, 7 even 8 times a day. I'm 38 and she's 36 so she's just now hitting her maximum milk production. Where my milking skills peaked when I was in my teens, she's just now hitting her milk production prime and quite frankly, I cant milk her often as she would like.