McGwire admits 'roid use

A reflection of the ethics of our times. Do wrong, let time pass, fess-up and all will be forgiven...without consequences.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DennisMcFeely

• LivermushBiscuit

• ANF grousin

A reflection of the ethics of our times. Do wrong, let time pass, fess-up and all will be forgiven...without consequences.

Very well stated!

One stat that just blows me away about Big Mac: 583 career homers...1,626 total hits! That's unreal. One in every three hits was a homerun?! And he was on roids basically his whole career? Sorry but with those stats he doesn't seem like the worlds best hitting coach. Total one demensional player using the juice.
Do you suppose McGwire would have stepped forward had he not wanted this coaching job?

I doubt it, but it's laughable that they're pretending La Russa had no idea all these years.

There is also talk LaRussa might let MacRoid take a swing of the bat in a game, setting him back as an active player, which will let him sit out of the HOF voting for 5 years in hopes when he is eligible again new voters will forget or forgive.  Sounds like 2 scumbags trying to re-write history in their favor.

no big deal the guy and all athletes are entertainers, the juice helped to do his job, entertain, his charge on the record captured the minds of thousands.

I think Tiger paid him to talk just to get him out of the press for a while.

And my favorite part of this "news"? Last night on NBC nightly the lead off story was his confession about steroid use, clips of his career, his stats while playing, and in-depth look at everything he's done in baseball and then, only after they covered this story  inside and out, top to bottom, they announced how 3 American Soldiers were killed in Afghanistan. Gee, which one is more important?

Do you suppose McGwire would have stepped forward had he not wanted this coaching job?

I doubt it, but it's laughable that they're pretending La Russa had no idea all these years.

There is also talk LaRussa might let MacRoid take a swing of the bat in a game, setting him back as an active player, which will let him sit out of the HOF voting for 5 years in hopes when he is eligible again new voters will forget or forgive.  Sounds like 2 scumbags trying to re-write history in their favor.

Hold on there, pal.

McGwire's dad was one of my instructor's in dental school, and LaRussa is a very close personal friend of over 20 years. We talked about this last Thursday, before the news broke.

Neither of them are scumbags, least of all Tony. He's done a lot of good for  MLB, and will no doubt be a Hall of Famer. His  encouraging Mac to come clean tells what he's all about. Yes, it had something to do with Mark's wanting to get into coaching, but never the less he did come forward.

Anyone who calls these two guys a "scumbag" is a total mis-informed scumbag themselves in my book.

You can't change a skunk by removing its stripes.  Tony, Mac and daddy Mac all knew what was going on.  The coverup didn't work so they tried a different tactic.  Maybe they should both be banned from baseball instead of talking about either of them getting into the HOF.  If it was someone you werent personally tied to, you would be singing a different tune.

Horse manure.

LaRussa and Dr. Mac had nothing to do with Mark getting involved with or taking the 'roids. Tony is taking a big personal risk jumping and helping/advising Mark on how to deal with this, as there's going to be a lot of misinformed people (like yourself) taking pokes when they have no clue about the real facts.

Tony is showing a tremendous amount of character getting involved with this. Most managers would turn their back, and not put themselves at risk -- especially someone who's a shoe-in as Tony is for  the HOF.

Tony knew Mac was juiced when he was playing for him, but looked away because winning was more important.  They are both trying to save their asses now.  Why didnt LaRussa tell him to admit the truth when he went before congress?  There was the time to admit and come clean.  Seems it went from CYA to SYA.

I hope you have the same good feelings and total respect for Bonds and Clemens just as starters.

Tony knew Mac was juiced when he was playing for him, but looked away because winning was more important.

How do you know that that he knew that?  

Name one other MLB manager who's going to police that when they don't even know for sure themselves.

Name one other MLB manager who's stood by their player and took a personal risk in getting them to come clean? There isn't one, is there?

They are both trying to save their asses now.  Why didnt LaRussa tell him to admit the truth when he went before congress?

I'm pretty sure that he did.

And if Tony was worried about his ass, he would never have brought Mac back into coaching with the Cards or stood by his player as he is now. That's a man, and that's why he gets so much out of his players.

I hope you have the same good feelings and total respect for Bonds and Clemens just as starters.

Those guys actual lied to congress. Mac didn't do that, and he's come clean now. Something neither of those two have done. Amazing how a high quality manager can influence a player like Tony has Mark here.

That's why he's a man of respect, and  not a scumbag like others  who go around making accusations about things they have no facts or even a clue about.

DennisMcFeely

I can appreciate defending a friend, and I'm not interested in engaging in name calling, but in my view if LaRussa didn't know before now it's because he didn't want to know.  It'll be interesting to see who gets into the HOF and who doesn't.

Dennis

Those guys actual lied to congress. Mac didn't do that, and he's come clean now.

So there is a difference between lying and keeping your mouth shut so you dont have to tell the truth?

He came clean now because of the last HOF vote.  i hope the voters see thru this scam and never vote him in until his time runs out.  He cheated baseball, the fans, and all the players who didnt juice up.  Now he is hoping everyone will forgive and forget.

That's why he's a man of respect, and  not a scumbag like yourself who goes around making accusations about things they have no facts or even a clue about.

You win, can't have the grandkids thinking I'm a scumbag for teaching them right from wrong, honesty from cheating.

I can appreciate defending a friend, and I'm not interested in engaging in name calling, but in my view if LaRussa didn't know before now it's because he didn't want to know.  It'll be interesting to see who gets into the HOF and who doesn't.

Dennis

Dennis,

I think one of the problems with 'roids in the pro sports is just who is supposed to police this? Name one manager in any sport who has?

Other than Tony, name one manager/coach who's stood by his player, and guided him into coming clean and dealing with what's in front of them?

One of the steps in getting this 'riod problem under control is having guidelines for how to deal with it from the get go. And who's responsiblity it is to deal with it on a team level. That's something that's absent currently, and needs to be implemented.