toyota you are dead to me

drummer's stump

drummer's stump
I use to be a die hard Toyota guy, been driving a Toyota pickup since I was 16 . The last few years I have noticed their ruggedness going down him, they use to make trucks that were built to take a beating. Their 22 series motors were damn near indestructible, but now they build trucks that where  never meant to see dirt, ya know city trucks. So now with all the recalls it is apparent that they are cutting corners big time. So I must say fair well, my next rig will be a Ford. It really is to bad, they had a good thing going, it is sad to see what happens to a company when the accountants take over
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• bobman

• River19

• drummer's stump

drummer's stump
he'll get wisdom(and his balls ) when Amanda tells him he can have it

did Jackie give yours back yet

drummer's stump
You are overreacting. You'll get over it.

I don't know if I will, what is your new truck like. Is it holding up? The one thing I have noticed is that the heat&AC controls suck, and the AC doesn't get very cold. I had mine in a few time to get the AC fix and they say it's fine and that is just the way it is.

Actually, this is as bad as any of the three have had in the past few years - in fact it's probably worse.  There's definitely something going on with Toyota.  Particularly disturbing in my mind is not the accelerator problems, its the bad rust problem they were having with their pick ups - something that car companies largely solved years ago (including Toyota).  The fact that they are getting them again means to me that they started cutting corners with materials and/or treatments - using cheaper materials.  As someone else said, it seems like the accountants have been running the show instead of the engineers.  

Having said that -the truth is that Toyota started from a better place in terms of quality than many others and I think they are still making good vehicles even if they aren't up to their standards of ten years ago.  

I was never one of those that believed that Toyota quality was  far superior to all other car makers, and now that they have had some problems, I'm not going to be one that says the sky is falling either.  They are a good car company that has suffered from some bad management and they have some housecleaning to do.  We'll see if they learn from their mistakes - unlike GM for example.

The airconditioner in my 2000 toyota Tacoma will freeze even a fat guy out on the hottest days in GA.

I hate to see all this about the new ones I've had such good luck with mine.

If I buy new I'll probably buy Ford.

I have to agree that they seemed to stray from what Toyota made their reputation on. The new Tacomas are now a mid size truck like a dodge Dakota and that makes no sense, they are too small to do full size truck stuff and too big to get great mileage.

Truthfully I'll never understand the car business it always seem like when they have something I like they stop making it.

I've had Ford (2 of them), Chevy, Toyota, and Dodge trucks.  I know this isn't statistically significant but here is how I'd rate them in order of most satisfied to least satisfied:

1-'03 4x4 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab SLT with the Hemi- Hands down the best truck I've ever owned.  98K miles and still ticking like a fine Swiss watch.  Other than a leak detection pump that I replaced a few years ago, not a thing wrong outside of normal wear and tear.

2- Ford-  '93 Loaded Ranger 4x4 extended cab and a loaded 4x4 '97 F150 Lariat extended cab.  The Ranger was a good truck but started to show signs of tranny problems at 45K miles so I unloaded it.  The F150 was a comfortable truck but had quality issues like leather seats that cracked after 30K miles and recalls on the springs.

3) '90 Toyota (small one obviously)-  Tough truck but rode like a tank on long drives.  Had front wheel bearing issues right from the start that the Dealer refused to fix properly.  They just kept slapping grease on them and hoped the truck would go out of warranty before they failed, so I dumped the truck at 45K miles.  Toyota definitely lost me by treating me like that.

4) '01 4x4 Chevy Silverado-  Biggest piece of junk ever.  Under powered and started falling apart like a cheap suit immediately with things like steering failure, interior trim coming loose, etc.  Dumped it at 45K miles.

I think Gowdy hit the nail on the head.......I'm sitting here wondering what my next move is seeing as how I have a frame that is in the recall that you will never hear about.  2000-2003 frames on Tundras had a recall for the rear frame cross member......of course the lack of proper treatment of the cross member is the same as the remainder of the frame.....the same as the Tacomas.  

If it was just a cross member issue they wouldn't be buying back Tundras all over the northeast.  Of course I've received no recall notice etc. and my local dealer plays stupid....meanwhile I watched my KBB dropp 10% in 4 days.  Yup, KBB dropped the Tundras and Toyotas in general based on the latest news.

Awesome....."OH what a feeling!!!"

Oh and I am a Toyota guy at the end of the day....but that is changing quickly.  Ford is looking better, but I could never see myself in an F-150.......I'm drawn to the Diesels though.

Maybe I'll just fire up an older Toyota Pickup with the 22 R or RE.....

Steve

My 06 Tundra started this morning. Heated up nicely on drive to Bangor; got me over to Lars's house for a quick visit; to the eye doctor; my magazine editors office; Staples; and Burger King. Stopped when I needed it to, didn't run away with me at the wheel. Yesterday it got me in and out of a gnarly dirt road when I took Jake out for a run. I'll keep an eye on it in case something goes wrong.

I gotta agree w/the Bobman--they jumped the shark when they upsized the Tacoma and upsized the Tundra. I had a 1995 small truck-before they named them Tacoma--loved that rig. (Had a Ford Ranger previous--no comment) The 2000-2006 Tundras were as close to the perfect truck for someone like me ever made. The rust problems on Tacomas AND early Tundras is discouraging. Still likeem though--aint panickin.