toyota you are dead to me

drummer's stump

no doubt Brad, this is not even compairable to all the issues  the 3 have had over the years.

still hands down the best.

Guess I'm getting old but, I thought this was a Toyota  thread!-Too Dogs

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• bobman

• River19

• drummer's stump

What I find amazing is the way they have been able to keep the frames rusting off and the sludge problems with their V6 engines so quiet! They replaced 18,000 trucks because of the frames rusting off and not a peep in the papers or on the news and if you have one of their V6 engines good luck.
.. but now they build trucks that where  never meant to see dirt, ya know city trucks.

Udeday, ixnay on the ickupay, adBray ovelays ishay ighwayhay ucktray.

While I am obviously not happy with Yota at the moment.....I call total BS on the on road truck thing.

I know for a fact the first generation Tundras are fantastic off-road, they are very capable stock.  The new Tacomas are very good, yet I agree there is more plastic on those trucks than need be.  That being said they are very capable off road.

Steve

Drummer Stump,

You'll never regret moving to an F150.  If you don't need a full bed consider the crew cab.

JJ

The F150 is a nice truck, no doubt.....the crew is sweet, the price isn't so sweet........

Really never understood Toyotas move to the bigger trucks.  They look like teh stay puft marshmallow man.

Oh, that's gonna wound some egos.

What I find amazing is the way they have been able to keep the frames rusting off and the sludge problems with their V6 engines so quiet! They replaced 18,000 trucks because of the frames rusting off and not a peep in the papers or on the news and if you have one of their V6 engines good luck.

Remember when GM recalled 1.5million trucks for seat belt problems? It was only 4 or 5 years ago?

What about when Ford recalled 11 million vehicles for cruise control and abs problems that lead to fires?  Heck, this year ford recalled one of their gas electric hybrids because of a software problem with the brakes, sound familiar.  

Or when BMW had to replace all the nikisil engine blocks?

I'm sure you could find examples from every manufacturer.

My old-style Tundra is has been the best truck I’ve even owned.  It replaced a Chevy that was the worst truck I’ve ever owned – constant electric problems, small stuff falling off, rattles and shakes and the four wheel drive wouldn’t engage when it was cold or wet..  The dealer could not/would not fix the damn thing despite numerous attempts.  After I had to walk up the mile long road up the mountain to my house in dress clothes and shoes three times in snow storms because the four wheel drive didn’t work, I dumped the Chevy with only 8K miles on it, took a HUGE financial bath (GGGRRR!!) and got the Tundra.  It's pretty tough to get over that Chevy lemon and the enormous financial hit it handed me.

As much as I like my old Tundra, I wouldn’t buy a new Tundra – not because of the latest recall (all the makers have recalls), but because I don’t think the same level of quality is there and I don’t need or want such an enormous, fancy truck.  I think Toy shot itself in the foot when they dumped the old, practical Tundra in favor of those vast, elaborate new half-tons (yes, I agree the new Tundras are “city trucks”).  I will buy whatever new half-ton truck seems to be the best, based on my reading and research, at the time I need a new one.  If I was in the market now, it would probably be an F150 crew.

That said, I’m not in the market.  My old Tundra is getting a touch long in the tooth, but I’m going to drive it until the wheels fall off – I’m hoping another 10 years.  THEN, if I’m not “driving” a walker at that point, I’ll start worrying about what new truck to buy.

Here’s the Truckster early on in the recent snow – it’s over the hood now.

2-6-10-SnowDay-BuriedTruck.jpg

And now Honda has a 1,000,000 vehicle recall kicking in.

No manufacturer is bulletproof, and all have good stretches and bad stretches, design triumphs and design failures.

This too shall pass....

frugal pointer

I believe everything is a conspiracy.  The big 3 three (oxymoron) have tons of folks on the payroll making huge coin to whoop up the Toyota issues and turn folks sour.

You have obviously been drinking the Kool Aid.  FP

drummer's stump
While I am obviously not happy with Yota at the moment.....I call total BS on the on road truck thing.

I know for a fact the first generation Tundras are fantastic off-road, they are very capable stock.  The new Tacomas are very good, yet I agree there is more plastic on those trucks than need be.  That being said they are very capable off road.

Steve

I was not talking about the old tundra's, my 03 is very good off road, but the new one's not so much. A friend has an 07 that is a heap, it has 78k and I doubt if it will 100k.