toyota you are dead to me

drummer's stump

Did you get a new one Clint?  Last summer we had almost identical trucks........

I have no experience with the new bloated beast.  The 5.7L is supposedly a nice engine, but $30-40K for a rig is stupid expensive so I wouldn't touch it either way.

I'll go as long as I can in my 2001 and then see what the options look like on Fords used market or just go old school for a hunting truck and just get a gas sipper for everyday.

As stated before, every maker has recalls........however Toyota commanded a premium and had an arrogance when dealing with them all of which was based on a house of cards the past 10 years.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• bobman

• River19

• drummer's stump

I use to be a die hard Toyota guy, been driving a Toyota pickup since I was 16 ...................So I must say fair well, my next rig will be a Ford.

Interesting. I've been a GM guy forever with just a sprinkling of Fords and Dodges for good measure. I never took title to any car built by a foreign owned company and swore I never would. Then it happened.

A few months ago my wife started looking for a compact SUV/crossover to replace her Saturn. I tried to deal on a Chevy Equinox but, aside from not really liking it, GM pissed me off. I learned that I couldn't cash in the $3K+ I had accumulated on my GM card, only $1K of it. Then they told me the GM Loyalty discount had been discontinued and replaced by a switchover discount that they would give if I owned an import. I waved goodbye to the Chevy dealer that afternoon.

Ford didn't have anything my wife liked, and I'm not comfortable with Chrysler right now, so I entered uncharted territory for me. I entered a Honda lot for the first time and the lying a$$holes guaranteed that I'd never enter one again. The cars might be OK but the company sure doesn't have much in the way of quality control when it comes to dealerships. Then came Hyundai (couldn't do it) and Subaru (couldn't do that either).

She ended up at Toyota where we drove (and liked) the new RAV4s. That night we drove home with one.

So far, so good. According to the VIN it isn't on the recall list. I've driven it to FL and back and found it to be comfortable, well designed, and it gets good enough mileage. I still don't like the emblem on the tailgate but have been pleased with it otherwise. Hopefully GM wakes up, or Ford has something we like, before we're in we're in the market again.

Nick based on that article I'd say that toyota has the same problem the Unitied States does too much power and decision making by a central group not listening to and out of touch with the people that make it all happen.. strange how that model doesn't work well....
drummer's stump
Update: Made a 2 hr drive to Farmington ME this morning. Made it OK.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Update: Made a 2 hr drive to Farmington ME this morning. Made it OK.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

That's not how my Tundra sounds. My old Ford Ranger did though.

Me, two Tacomas, one 4-runner, and presently a Highlander.

My wife, two Camerys.

Never have seen a need to change.

What I don't understand is peoples loyalty to an object.  

Growing up I had American cars granted I couldn't afford anything nice, but I was sick of dealing with repairs, and getting them fixed.  Fast fwd to my last purchase a Honda Pilot, it has been nothing but reliable, I do the maintenance it keeps running like it should.  

When it comes time to buy another vehicle will I necessarily buy another Honda?  Maybe maybe not.  What I will do is research what vehicles currently suit my needs and are getting great reliable ratings.  If Honda starts screwing up I'll drop em like Ron drops F

I've actually been looking at Rangers lately how are they anyone have a late model one. Its the only compact truck left on the market and the 4 cylinder gets excellent mileage

Ironic as I type this from the Toyota dealership, sitting in their lounge getting my truck worked on........normally I avoid the stealership but this time they were needed.

A truck is a truck, I buy what best suits my needs at the time, so far that has been Toyota, it could change, who knows.

Brad - can you keep providing daily updates?  you are starting to sound like the 20 times per day Facebook guys giving random updates on mundane life events....."just took a crap after breakfast"......

Steve

bosco mctavitch

Someone point me to one single mainstream consumer product where QUALITY (measured as reliability and lifespan) hasn't dropped significantly over the past decade?  

(And don't tell me a computer or a cell-phone--my 1995 gateway is still going strong and my 2000 cell phone is still working fine, but the expensive replacements that are only a year or two old have all crapped the bed numerous times thus far...)

Anyone??  

Methinks perhaps the root of this problem might not be with these companies...as a society for the most part we refuse to pay extra for better quality, and it shows.  I've waved the toyota flag as much as anyone the past few years, and I'm still generally happy with the 2 new-model tacomas we own--not perfect, but a heck of a lot better than any of the other vehicles we considered "equivalent".  However, I believe that no company is perfect, and to believe that you won't get occasionally (or regularly) screwed in the process of being a consumer is to be occasionally (or regularly) disappointed.

For Toyota I have or had 2 Tacoma's, a Tercel, a Corolla, a Camry, a Scion TC and an 06 Tundra.

Plus had a few Ford and Chevy POS's

Tried to buy American but kept on getting burned so switched to Toyota and have not had one problem yet. (Knock on wood :) )

I hope they take this as a wake up call. I am sure they will. For now I still believe Toyota produces a better made vehicle then any of the U.S. car companies.

Olaf